Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 02:22 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
^^^^
THAT can be of huge importance if the job seeker has received a definite offer from another company, but his/her 1st choice job is the one s/he is still waiting to hear back from.

My son once had several rounds of interviews with a company, including one in which they flew him to their location, took him out for dinner, and arranged his hotel for the night......and they NEVER CALLED HIM BACK to say he didn't get the job. For any job seeker to go that far, and put in that much effort, and never receive the courtesy of an official rejection....."rude" is putting it too nicely.

That just shows you how unprofessional that company was and how they lacked common courtesy and decency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 05:13 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
That just shows you how unprofessional that company was and how they lacked common courtesy and decency.

I would put that in the retarded category instead of unprofessional especially since they flew him out and paid for his hotel stay.

Old 04-14-2013, 01:11 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,034,396 times
This has been brought up before, and usually a host of people come out to defend everything corporations do, since they can "do no wrong."

The reality is that it's BS.

Once a company gets to the point of interviewing a candidate on-site, the candidate has clearly made it past many of the imposed barriers (resume black-hole of online applications, etc.) and the company is interested in them. Additionally, the candidate has now made a time and monetary commitment to the company, even if the interview only takes a few hours and burns a bit of gas. For the company to then ignore the candidate and pretend the interview never happened is simply insulting and rude. It would take almost no effort to send a generic "thanks for applying, but we're going in a different direction" email to all the interviewed candidates that didn't make it, but that would involve a bit of human empathy, which is sorely lacking in today's corporate world.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:39 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
This has been brought up before, and usually a host of people come out to defend everything corporations do, since they can "do no wrong."

The reality is that it's BS.

Once a company gets to the point of interviewing a candidate on-site, the candidate has clearly made it past many of the imposed barriers (resume black-hole of online applications, etc.) and the company is interested in them. Additionally, the candidate has now made a time and monetary commitment to the company, even if the interview only takes a few hours and burns a bit of gas. For the company to then ignore the candidate and pretend the interview never happened is simply insulting and rude. It would take almost no effort to send a generic "thanks for applying, but we're going in a different direction" email to all the interviewed candidates that didn't make it, but that would involve a bit of human empathy, which is sorely lacking in today's corporate world.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:09 PM

485 posts, read 1,012,065 times
I am in the legal field. Make over 6 figures. I have just been through 3 face-to-face interviews (over a period of 4 weeks) with a variety of bosses with a Fortune 500 company and it's been 3 weeks since interview No. 3 and I've not heard a peep from these ********.

I understand not contacting everyone who applies. I understand not contacting everyone who goes through 1 interview. But not contacting someone who went through THREE interviews is beyond unprofessional and absolutely outrageous, especially in my salary range/education level/field.

If it came down to me and one other person, how difficult would it be for them to just send a sentence via email: "The position has been filled; thanks for applying."

I am outraged.

Old 07-18-2013, 07:33 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,273,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by planedition View Post
I am in the legal field. Make over 6 figures. I have just been through 3 face-to-face interviews (over a period of 4 weeks) with a variety of bosses with a Fortune 500 company and it's been 3 weeks since interview No. 3 and I've not heard a peep from these ********.

I understand not contacting everyone who applies. I understand not contacting everyone who goes through 1 interview. But not contacting someone who went through THREE interviews is beyond unprofessional and absolutely outrageous, especially in my salary range/education level/field.

If it came down to me and one other person, how difficult would it be for them to just send a sentence via email: "The position has been filled; thanks for applying."

I am outraged.
Get over it. Obviously after 3 weeks they probably didn't pick you. Move on! Get more interviews. They obviously could care less that your outraged. The world will fall apart now....geez folks.

The whiners on here are making me outraged.

What's funny though is if they call a week from now you would gladly take the job. Of course you will say you wouldn't though, but that's a load.

Sent from my SGH-T839 using Tapatalk 2

Old 07-18-2013, 07:49 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
Get over it. Obviously after 3 weeks they probably didn't pick you. Move on! Get more interviews. They obviously could care less that your outraged. The world will fall apart now....geez folks.

The whiners on here are making me outraged.

What's funny though is if they call a week from now you would gladly take the job. Of course you will say you wouldn't though, but that's a load.

It is kind of weird he had 3 interviews and never heard anything back.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:12 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times
seriously, that's incredibly rude and i don't care if that makes me a "whiner" in some people's eyes. employers should have some basic respect for applicants. i don't see what's so crazy about that. of course it's not the end of the world but it's rude and inconsiderate, and doesn't say anything good about the company.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:55 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,273,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
seriously, that's incredibly rude and i don't care if that makes me a "whiner" in some people's eyes. employers should have some basic respect for applicants. i don't see what's so crazy about that. of course it's not the end of the world but it's rude and inconsiderate, and doesn't say anything good about the company.
They should, but they don't often. We don't get everything we want in life. Keep applying, people shouldn't be hung up for weeks on end waiting for a call. The stress will kill you! Keep applying and if they call you got a new job if not it is just a blip on the radar....next blip you might hit a homerun.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:56 PM

485 posts, read 1,012,065 times
Like I said, I would [b]expect [/B to not hear anything if I never got an interview, or got 1 interview, or maybe even two interviews. But 3 interviews, and then crickets? I'm sorry, that's just extremely crass and amateurish.

Have the decency to send an email with 8 words to the person you dragged into your office three times to meet with all the higher-ups. And told you were a finalist. And talked salary with, and starting dates.

And no, I did not "bomb" any of the interviews.

Either they don't want me, or they have a very dragged out process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search