Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 11:25 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,674,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
No here's one most people don't know if they weren't told. Don't wear perfume or cologne.
yeah, that one's not so obvious to people who wear that stuff regularly, but i still don't think it's the employer's job to tell them that (the only exception i can think of is if the workplace has a specific no fragrance policy). instead they should look to the wealth of information about interview etiquette that is available online and in books.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 11:26 AM

763 posts, read 2,604,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
If I were a hiring manager at McDonald's and I had two applicants, one was wearing a blouse with chinos and the other was in a polo with jeans, but the one wearing the blouse and chinos barely spoke and never smiled while the one in jeans was outgoing and smiled constantly, I'd take the one in jeans.
True, but that's McDonald's and you're not going to wear street clothes to work in, anyway. That's a customer-driven job and the best personality is the one you want in this instance.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:31 AM

88,577 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
We had another one today, a guy showed up for an interview wearing gray sweatpants and a t-shirt with a zip-front sweatshirt over it.

Out of curiosity, I checked his resume for education. Yes, a college graduate.
My daughter went for a part-time job as a bank teller. She is a college student. She dressed properly in office attire for the job--skirt, pantyhouse, dress shoes, blouse, jacket--even though she has to wear their goofy green shirt when she's working there. After she was hired, she found out that the assistant manager went into the manager after her interview and said "Hire that one--she has enough sense to know how to dress for a job interview." It likely also helped that the moron ahead of her strolled in, plopped down in a chair and started texting and when someone from the bank approached asking if she needed help, she said, "No, I'm just here for my interview." But apparently bothering to dress properly did help, too.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:35 AM

88,577 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Why do employers have to set expectations for job interviews? It seems that it should be common sense but if not, then it should have been discussed somewhere along the educational track.

We had classes even in high school about how to prepare for interviews. I would think that someone who really wants the job would be well prepared for the interview, including dressing properly.

If a candidate for a job doesn't take the initiative to dress in a manner that demonstrates he takes pride in his appearance there is certainly another candidate that will.
Even WITHOUT classes in high school, how does one get to be 21 or 22 years old and not have enough sense to dress for a job interview? Were they living in the forest or desert all their lives with no TV or outside contact with other humans? At a minimum, this is something PARENTS should probably tell their children when their kid goes for their first job, but I realize not all parents do their job. Still, you'd think the basics would be picked up at some point just by living.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:41 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,479,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Even WITHOUT classes in high school, how does one get to be 21 or 22 years old and not have enough sense to dress for a job interview? Were they living in the forest or desert all their lives with no TV or outside contact with other humans? At a minimum, this is something PARENTS should probably tell their children when their kid goes for their first job, but I realize not all parents do their job. Still, you'd think the basics would be picked up at some point just by living.
Raised by wolves ?

Old 04-10-2013, 03:33 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,765,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
yeah, that one's not so obvious to people who wear that stuff regularly, but i still don't think it's the employer's job to tell them that (the only exception i can think of is if the workplace has a specific no fragrance policy). instead they should look to the wealth of information about interview etiquette that is available online and in books.
Well, if they smell as if they used every perfume/cologne in existence....that could be a problem.

I use very subtle perfume- I definitely don't bathe in it.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:56 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,674,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
Well, if they smell as if they used every perfume/cologne in existence....that could be a problem.

that can still be a problem for people with allergies, which is why some workplaces are instituting "no fragrance" policies.

also i'm not saying this is true for you, but some people don't realize how strong their perfume is because they're used to it.

i have a coworker who can have an asthma attack if someone spritzes perfume anywhere in our office suite. i just get a headache and start sneezing, but it doesn't make for a very pleasant work environment.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:36 AM

2 posts, read 1,423 times
Few days ago an applicant came in for his planned interview wearing a t-shirt, baseball cap, shorts and flip flops. A few weeks ago a man was wearing a beer shirt.
Suit is a perfect dress for interview. Ignore shorts and t- shirts. Suits give you a great look. It changes your personality.Suits Accessories are most important to add a touch of class to the look of a suit.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:03 AM

1,203 posts, read 4,082,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
that is very silly. i guess employers should also ask for grammatically correct cover letters and resumes, that the applicants not take off their shoes or swear during the interview, etc? there are certain things that are matters of common sense and basic professionalism, and dressing professionally for an interview is one of them. this should not be a surprise to anyone and should not have to be specifically pointed out. i doubt many employers, especially in the white collar world, would want to hire someone who didn't know something so basic.
Exactly. These are common sense things. If a job applicant can't figure that out, I wouldn't want to hire them.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:04 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post

It's still inappropriate in a job interview. I hate perfume. I would give you a one minute interview and send you packing before your smell made me physically ill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search