Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 07:37 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest4 View Post
propaganda at its finest. you should work for university of phoenix.
There is no comparison between Harvard and University of Phoenix. To imply that there is is laughable at best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 08:02 AM

273 posts, read 1,061,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
There is no comparison between Harvard and University of Phoenix. To imply that there is is laughable at best.
i am talking about marketing. he is upselling harvard's statistics. no one except a few people know the truth. the rest is selling you an education which is what that for-profit institution is (harvard is for profit). if law was (and IS) suffering casualties in its industry, do you really think harvard would admit that? will a drug dealer admit how heroin will ruin your life? will a used car salesman tell you about the water damage he is covering up? the poster is a good marketer pushing unrealistic figures. it is not a comparison of universities. you read it wrong.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:13 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Harvard is not "for-profit." The average undergrad graduates with less student loan debt (around $10K) than most public university grads do as a result of their extraordinarily generous financial aid. Additionally, admissions are completely need blind.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:23 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
i misunderstood the industry. i guess instead of doing pro bono work while studying for the bar, at least they can make a few bucks. i do know that lawyers (on average, not the superstars) do not make as much as law schools claim that they do. i also know from what i have read in news articles that employment is not so great in that field.

the problem isn't law. the problem is the tuition bubble. if you paid around $20k (generic law school) to $50k (best law schools) for a law degree tops, then it would be alright. i am surprised that these kids are paying upwards of $100k with no guarantee of a job once they finish.

i just checked harvard law school's website and tuition is at $150k for the three year program ($50k a year). given that it's in massachusetts with exaggerated rent food costs (you may also need a car, not sure how the public transport is over there), figure it will be about $200k to $250k once all is said is done. if baby boomers are living longer and working longer and law work is being outsourced to india, how can new grads minted every time a law bar exam is passed find work at decent wages? the competition is terrible. i don't see how the average (not the genius) lawyer can pay that back. does every student who goes to harvard law qualify as a genius? no. i don't think law schools have scholarships unless you are the best or through cronyism/nepotism etc.
One of my girlfriends graduated from Harvard Law. Her first year's starting salary out of school was >$150k. I don't know if that's the norm, but she attended an Ivy undergrad as well and has always been successful. She hates the work. Another girlfriend actually got a free ride through Mass law, or whatever our state law school is, so no debt. She works for government, but in the $70k range.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:
propaganda at its finest. you should work for university of phoenix.
Given that you don't know the difference between an intern and an attorney, you don't seem to be in the best position to make an assessment in this space.

Old 04-12-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Given that you don't know the difference between an intern and an attorney, you don't seem to be in the best position to make an assessment in this space.
the definition of an intern according to THIS AD is a recent law school college graduate. i did not go by YOUR definition of what an intern is, nor by some randomly searched website.

i did not realize that you have to pass the bar exam to be considered a lawyer. i grouped college graduate of law in the category of lawyer. i figured once you graduate, you've made it.

Old 04-12-2013, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Harvard is not "for-profit." The average undergrad graduates with less student loan debt (around $10K) than most public university grads do as a result of their extraordinarily generous financial aid. Additionally, admissions are completely need blind.
then what happens to those hundreds of millions of dollars given to harvard as charity? where does that money go? it disappears? someone is buying 10 homes and 10 cars with pocketed cash. make that someones. we aren't that stupid to believe harvard is a charity or do-gooder. it's in business in education to make money. lots of it. law is law in a given state no matter where it's taught. the textbooks and cases covered in harvard aren't going to be some magical never heard of case. and from what i know, lawyers learn on the job. law school does NOT prepare one for actual practice. real life is way different from what all lawyers have told me which is why law school is called outdated and a scam. and what about the millions it collects in annual tuition (NOT everyone qualifies for a full scholarship)? if you believe whatever stats colleges or organizations spit out as gospel, i have a bridge to sell you here in brooklyn. come on by.

Old 04-12-2013, 05:46 PM

511 posts, read 854,799 times
^It's full of lawyers so of course they know how to dodge the system and they teach others to do it as well..

Old 04-12-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
the definition of an intern according to THIS AD is a recent law school college graduate. i did not go by YOUR definition of what an intern is, nor by some randomly searched website.

i did not realize that you have to pass the bar exam to be considered a lawyer. i grouped college graduate of law in the category of lawyer. i figured once you graduate, you've made it.
It has nothing to with my definition, but the English language. Don't be absurd. And, obviously you do not realize or grasp much, hence my response. I'm not sure what purpose your comments about Harvard are supposed to serve. Ivy leaguers are the least to be concerned for.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
It has nothing to with my definition, but the English language. Don't be absurd. And, obviously you do not realize or grasp much, hence my response. I'm not sure what purpose your comments about Harvard are supposed to serve. Ivy leaguers are the least to be concerned for.
the job offer is for an intern. the ad then goes to define what an intern is. it doesn't have anything to do with the dictionary or how you interpret it. the employer calls a law school graduate an intern. what does that have to do with me? you said i cannot tell the difference. i did not write the ad. i repeated what he said.

i did grasp much. i grasped that i shouldn't believe statistics pumped out by a business as truth. people lie. businesses lie. this is for one's own benefit. the college president isn't going to work everyday thinking about how he can tell the truth and ensure everything is fair. he wants his and that's it. every organization cooks its books to maximize its profits and these college presidents and faculty aren't driving 10 year old honda civics while living in an apartment shared by 5 roommates. apparently you did not grasp much about how reality works because you live in a textbook world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search