Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 08:20 PM

212 posts, read 1,003,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

If you had the opportunity to do WHATever it is you wanted to do, nothing holding you back, (just envision this and don't start listing reasons why it will never happen), what would that be?

Do you want to work with animals?
Do you want to work outside?
Do you like science?
Was chemistry your thing?
Maybe you like the beach?
Do you like cooking or baking?
Are numbers your gig?
Driving, is that something you enjoy?
Putting things back together, does that appeal to you?

Etc.

Figure out WHAT you like to do and would LOVE to do for a job, for a career, for a life time, and find a way to make money doing it. If it requires going back to school, then go back to school and get started. If it requires moving, then start saving up to do that. If it requires getting shareholders, then start figuring out how to build a nice business proposal and thoroughly investigate and plan every thing you can think of, talk to people who are doing it, find out everything you need to know and do and give it a try.
I actually would like to work with animals, and I have looked into grad schools. The problem is I live in NYC which doesn't have a good program (at least at my budget). I don't want to be a vet, I'm more interested in studying and understanding animals. I know i could move to a city with a good school but that would mean leaving my family and significant other.

I've also looked into career opportunities in this field. The last thing I want to do is pay a ton of money for education and have a hard time finding work after. It's tough finding people who are doing what I want to do so I have no idea what to expect.

I'm currently trying to find a way to apply my experience at an animal shelter or zoo, but this is limited as well. Guess I'll keep trying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 10:02 PM

286 posts, read 851,290 times
You call recruiters. You talk to people in your network (friends, family, past acquaintances, etc) about looking for new opportunities and if they know someone who is in the same field as you or in a field you are interested in. You go to different networking events and meet new people in your field.

Old 04-15-2013, 10:07 PM

445 posts, read 864,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_contrary View Post
I actually would like to work with animals, and I have looked into grad schools. The problem is I live in NYC which doesn't have a good program (at least at my budget). I don't want to be a vet, I'm more interested in studying and understanding animals. I know i could move to a city with a good school but that would mean leaving my family and significant other.

I've also looked into career opportunities in this field. The last thing I want to do is pay a ton of money for education and have a hard time finding work after. It's tough finding people who are doing what I want to do so I have no idea what to expect.

I'm currently trying to find a way to apply my experience at an animal shelter or zoo, but this is limited as well. Guess I'll keep trying.
Petco has a lot of openings in my area. They have cashier jobs and jobs working directly with the animals like groomers or trainers.

Old 04-15-2013, 10:47 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickytoffee View Post
Petco has a lot of openings in my area. They have cashier jobs and jobs working directly with the animals like groomers or trainers.
But if they do not have the openings near the OP, it does not help much. This is why I never take stock in insert field here has a lot of growth opportunities. That is great to know but think about it. If you do not have the stomach or skills to be in that field. That and the field has LOTS of places look at healthcare. You have nurses, database managers, general practitioners, pediatrics, ect. Not all of these have the same skill sets but these blanket statements that we pass around sometimes are not what the doctor ordered.

Old 04-27-2013, 11:54 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_contrary View Post

Start by volunteering. Seriously. It is not easy to get a paying job at a zoo or animal shelter but if you volunteer, you have a better shot later on down the line. Further, those people may have connections or ideas that you had not thought of.

Heck, even just the release of doing that work, even though volunteer work, will help give you more drive to go after what you want and bring back some sanity in to your life after dealing with a bunch of turds all day long at your regular job.

Old 11-05-2015, 11:11 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,600,966 times
I am in the same boat as the OP. I appreciate the money my job brings, but am still unhappy. Nothing out there is intrinsically interesting, and I would like to find something I do for intrinsic rather than purely extrinsic reasons.

Old 11-06-2015, 01:21 AM

888 posts, read 805,916 times
I'm already there. No job. Unemployment ran out. I wasn't hired for the appealing positions and not even getting any looks from the unappealing. I think there's been over 10,000 people laid off within a half hour of me. Every place I apply I'm going up against 100 people I have to assume. Places don't have to hire you if they don't want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search