Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 07:50 PM

560 posts, read 1,549,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
Sit and wait. Anything else looks ''pushy'', in my opinion.

I agree completely. Not only will it look "pushy" but also very "desperate". A candidate should show to potential employers that they too have many options/interviews lined up. Candidates should NEVER beg..yes sending 'thank you' emails/letters is like begging. I have never done or beleived in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 08:02 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatiana1 View Post
I agree completely. Not only will it look "pushy" but also very "desperate". A candidate should show to potential employers that they too have many options/interviews lined up. Candidates should NEVER beg..yes sending 'thank you' emails/letters is like begging. I have never done or beleived in it.

It's not begging if it's clear they want to hire you during the interview.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:23 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,674,085 times
Quote:
it's not begging any more than a cover letter or resume is begging.

i mean if you BEG in it, it is. but otherwise it is just pretty standard interview etiquette. like i said earlier, it's not mandatory, but it doesn't generally come across as desperate unless the actual content sounds desperate. of course, every manager is different and maybe some see it that way, but the vast majority either don't care or appreciate it if you send one brief, professional follow-up message after an interview.

i think calling it a thank you letter is a bad idea, and leads to your kind of thinking - you're not saying "omg thank you for deigning to speak to me!!!". you are just following up and expanding a little on your conversation. and ideally you do that once and then wait for them to get back to you.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:48 AM

2,156 posts, read 3,332,775 times
Quote:

I disagree. It can be done right and come off sounding professional and not sound desperate. When I was in management and did a lot of interviews and hiring years ago, I always appreciate someone taking their time to thank me and for giving them on opportunity to be interview and letting me know they are still interested. I believe in giving your best, go the extra effort, go the extra mile. If you can't even go the extra mile sending out a simple letter, what makes me think you can go the extra mile working for me? Maybe times have change and saying "Thank you" to people don't mean crap anymore in this day and age but I always felt its always a good idea to thank people from time to time. Of course, having a great cover letter, resume, interview, and various other qualities count more than a thank you letter but if two people were pretty equal, I take the one that went the extra mile.

Last edited by calnbs; 04-18-2013 at 01:04 AM..

Old 04-18-2013, 07:37 AM
FBJ

I think that a thank you letter should only be sent if the interviewer gave you their business card without you asking for it.

If they didn't offer it and you don't feel that good about the interview then why send a thank you letter?

Old 04-18-2013, 08:06 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,674,085 times
i think that's kind of a weirdly specific condition.

for instance, if you've been communicating with the interviewer directly to schedule, and all their contact info is on their e-mail signature, why would they feel the need to give you a business card?

i send a thank you if i feel the interview went well. there are a million reasons that an interviewer might not give you their card beyond them not liking you as a candidate, and they might give you a card even if they didn't like you. i've had interviews that i know for a fact were stellar (ie the interviewer told me so and recommended me to hr for other positions) where i wasn't given a card. and i've been given a card before the interview even began.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:32 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
i think that's kind of a weirdly specific condition.

for instance, if you've been communicating with the interviewer directly to schedule, and all their contact info is on their e-mail signature, why would they feel the need to give you a business card?

i send a thank you if i feel the interview went well. there are a million reasons that an interviewer might not give you their card beyond them not liking you as a candidate, and they might give you a card even if they didn't like you. i've had interviews that i know for a fact were stellar (ie the interviewer told me so and recommended me to hr for other positions) where i wasn't given a card. and i've been given a card before the interview even began.

It may not mean anything but I was just noticing experience the ones who didn't give me their business are the jobs I didn't get.

And the ones who gave me their business are the jobs I did get.

I guess it's like dating, at the end of the date if u know you don't want to see the person again you are not going to go out of your way to give them your contact number. But if they ask you would still give it just to be polite but no you won't respond back if they do call.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:04 PM

400 posts, read 1,508,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
Yeah, it costs about $1000 to bring in an applicant, not to mention time spent interviewing, and companies do it because there's no position?
phantom jobs do exist. especially companies who have to meet H1B and other visa requirements for their current employees. theyll post jobs and even interview candidates for the immigration requirements when the whole time they have someone already employed in the role.

secondly phantom openings exist for jobs where a HM has already decided to hire a buddy, a friends child, a former employee or so on but goes through the motions so they appear to be playing fair

thirdly phantom opening exist when an internal applicant has already been chosen but company directives require the team to go through the motions of interviewing and screening others. ive been in the position where i applied to an internal opening and then learned that i had no chance as so and so was already promised the job and was subsequently hired. companies mistreat other internal applicants so of course theyll mistreat and mislead external ones.

Phantom openings are definitely real!!!

Old 04-18-2013, 01:12 PM

400 posts, read 1,508,985 times
there is no need for you wife to drive herself crazy "wondering" if she got the job when she can call ask for feedback. if your are a top candidate no civilized employer well change his mind about you just from a simple follow up

also note these threads with some good advice given

//www.city-data.com/forum/work-...y-wasting.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/work-...job-offer.html

Old 04-18-2013, 08:21 PM

560 posts, read 1,549,032 times
[quote=groar;29178419]..... there are a million reasons that an interviewer might not give you their card beyond them not liking you as a candidate, and they might give you a card even if they didn't like you. ....quote]

Look... as far as I know an interview is a two-way street. Somehow people forget that fact. You keep saying "if the interviewer does not like the candidate" but what if the candidate does not like the interviewer or the general vibe of the place? Does he/she has to accept the job or send a 'thank you' letter? Of course not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search