Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 03:25 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,265,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Sure makes sense but they should have all that info ready for a potential candidate it's not hard to send an e-mail to ADP before they meet with a candidate.
Sure it would be easy enough, but the problem with outsourcing your HRM duties is that the people doing the interviewing are folks whose primary responsibility is something completely unrelated and therefore may not be thinking in terms of what information a potential candidate may want to know.

Not saying it's right, just that it's what one should expect when applying with a small company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 03:29 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,477,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Sure it would be easy enough, but the problem with outsourcing your HRM duties is that the people doing the interviewing are folks whose primary responsibility is something completely unrelated and therefore may not be thinking in terms of what information a potential candidate may want to know.

Not saying it's right, just that it's what one should expect when applying with a small company.
True and I experienced the same when I applied with a small tech co. last year. I had to send them an e-mail list of questions that should have been answered and when I received the answer I passed.

I would suggest the OP put their questions in writing to prevent any problems down the line.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:58 PM

48 posts, read 187,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
True and I experienced the same when I applied with a small tech co. last year. I had to send them an e-mail list of questions that should have been answered and when I received the answer I passed.

I would suggest the OP put their questions in writing to prevent any problems down the line.

I did that. I had a list of questions about benefits and other work related issues. I tend to do that and take notes also.

But like I said before, being single seemd liked it was emphasized as the company "gives" you money towards your coverage and if you don't select any coverage the money is yours. I am in the opposite boat, I do have a family so I needed that info.

Old 04-18-2013, 04:03 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,477,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkon View Post
I did that. I had a list of questions about benefits and other work related issues. I tend to do that and take notes also.

But like I said before, being single seemd liked it was emphasized as the company "gives" you money towards your coverage and if you don't select any coverage the money is yours. I am in the opposite boat, I do have a family so I needed that info.
As you repost it that is a red flag to me. It says if you have too many claims they will look for a reason to fire you. Insurance costs are big concern for small business. Most I have interviewed with can't afford to offer anything other than Kaiser whereas every big company I worked or applied for offered better benefits Cigna, United Health, anyway I digress and you get the point.

Old 04-18-2013, 04:16 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,481,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkon View Post
being single seemd liked it was emphasized as the company "gives" you money towards your coverage and if you don't select any coverage the money is yours. I am in the opposite boat, I do have a family so I needed that info.

Don't make this your deciding factor. Most companies subsidize the employee's health insurance the most and expect you to pay a big chunk of the cost for adding additional family members. Good chance that any other company you work for in the future will be the same way - even Fortune 500 companies are doing this.

Focus on the salary.

I think they're going to come back with a bump upwards from their original offer.

Keep in mind, you can always look elsewhere in 6 months to get a larger increase in salary. IF you take this position, that is. If you don't, then you have your current position and the potential promo there as well. It's perfectly acceptable to job hop that quickly these days. Your reason for looking is the salary increase to be market rate. You'll do fine job hopping quickly. But you want to get the highest possible salary now. You did good.

Keep us posted. We're rooting for you.

Old 04-26-2013, 05:45 PM

48 posts, read 187,942 times
UPDATE : I got the call, well email for the job offer. They wouldn't go up in salary. I ended up emailing back respectfully declining and thanking them for the opportunity to interview and extending the offer. They did get back to me with the medical coverage costs which were really high for family coverage. Factoring the medical benefits, salary, taxes, etc was not enough take home. I know I would have done great and would have went above and beyond their expectations. I just couldn't accept for that salary. I hope that doesn't make me look greedy or anything.

The position at my company I am supposed to interview for is somewhat on hold until they figure out the interview panel. It has been almost 3 months and they haven't figured it out. Frustrating but hopeful.

Then I got a call this afternoon when I was about to leave for work. I put in my resume a couple of days ago to a railroad for a supervisor/manager postion. After our phone screen, they wanted to move forward and fly me for a hiring event which consists of company overview, position briefing and assesment tests. If you pass the assesments they then will interview you one on one and then take a drug test. My fingers are crossed but the bad news is that I will be relocated anywhere but I think it might be worth it.

So maybe some things are starting to come together for me.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:51 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,481,067 times
Good for you for declining the offer. I have declined several offers due to low pay, and always find something else for more money. You will too.

It's not that you are greedy. You know the market rate and when you take something that is THAT much below market rate, it can set you back for years in your career/salary.

The railroad opportunity sounds good. They used to have very nice pensions...probably still do. Railroad work would be a very interesting(fun) line of business to work in, IMO.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:35 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
Ehh... working for a railroad is not what it used to be. Of course there are jobs, and then there are jobs. Short lines I understand are better employers than the majors. The majors sold off short lines to concentrate on long hauls but now many short lines are profitable enough for a major to consider buying back - just be aware. On the operating side majors chew up and spit out employees. Before you get very far along in the interview process try to locate employees in the craft you will be supervising.

Retirement wise they are Railroad Retirement Act, like Social Security. One advantage is that their disability coverage is occupation specific, not employment in general.

In addition most of the RR have corporate retirement plans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search