Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 01:15 AM

2,845 posts, read 6,012,378 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry it didn't work out in your favor. One thing too, is if you aren't too fussed about it, you can job hop a bit to get to where you want to be. I'm at a point right now where I've found a good job, it pays a tiny bit less than I want, but benefits are awesome, their maternity program is awesome, they are very much into wellness and so on. BUT I'd still like to make more, and my boss knows that and doesn't want me to leave (he actually told me once already please don't quit lol). As it stands, I'm trying to get pregnant now, so I've decided to stick around a few years at least. Hopefully by then either I'm making what I want to make, OR I've acquired enough skills to be able to make even more at another company.

Don't give up, keep pushing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 02:32 AM

400 posts, read 1,508,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageGuy2006 View Post
Following up on this:
Still looking for new work.
There is a potential opportunity not far from where I live. I am dealing with a head hunter again.
I already know the salary range that the hiring company is willing to offer due to a previous contact with another head hunter.
The gal head hunter that is handling this new lead that I just spoke with was asking my full salary history.
I tell her my minimum requirement, and this is her response, "If I saw your W2, what would it show for your salary?"
But if she sees my resume, and she knows my salary expectation, and she knows my expectation is within the current job opportunity, why MUST she know my current salary?

The honest truth is, I'm a little underemployed right now (aren't we all? haha), but I am concerned when people ask my salary. I worry they use my current salary as a starting point for negotiations, instead of offering a fair value. Especially if I get the job, and notice everyone around me is making more money (for very similar work) than I am (this HAS happened to me in the past).
agreed. why do employers/ recruiters call you or schedule you for an interview then reject you based on a something that was obvious by looking at your resume????

Old 05-31-2013, 10:31 AM

19 posts, read 14,043 times
Usually that question is asked to get an idea of what you are willing to accept for pay, If the employer is ready to offer 60K per year, but you are currently making 35K, they will offer about 40K and save themselves 20K, and you walk into a job thinking you are getting a deal when you really got forked. If you are already paid more than they are willing to pay, well you know, they send you on your way or never get back to you.
Never share information with anyone unless a reasonable explanation for their asking for it is given, and then remember, when it comes to money everyone becomes a liar. Also remember this, you have no control of what you are paid, worst case scenario is you signed a contract granting your employer the option to fire you for no reason without notice, but you do have control of your outflows, don't waste your resources on frivolous garbage and you won't be so damaged when your employer sends you on your way.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:59 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
For two of the jobs I have worked in finance I have an NDA and I will tell them the ballpark I made but the exact I could get in trouble for disclosing.
Why would your own personal compensation figure come under an NDA? How is that proprietary information of your former employer? How do they even word such a thing in an NDA? I have seen several, but none containing such a prohibition. Isn't that especially troublesome for a commissioned salesperson where you have to prove your worth by sales in order for a place to want to hire you? How can you prove you were a good salesperson if you cannot prove you made a lot of money?

Old 05-31-2013, 10:03 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageGuy2006 View Post
Today I emailed the head hunter that sent me on the interview.
He was able to discuss the interview with the engineering manager this AM.

The engineerin manager said they appreciated me spending the time coming out, but they were looking for someone with experience using a software that isn't very common in my industry.

So basically, the head hunter sent me on an interview for a job that required a software knowledge I didnt have, and then the reason there was no job offer is cause I didnt have the software knowledge required for te job.
Although it was good to get an interview under my belt, I can't help be frustrated that I kind of feel like the whole process was a waste of my time.
The communication with the head hunter post interview was brief, and I only received an email stating no job offer at this time.
I will have to be cautious with this particular head hunter moving forward, but for all I know, the software knowledge deficiency was a nice way of rejecting me as a canidate.

More than anything, why would a head hunter or employer spend an individuals time on an interview when they know I lacked the software knowledge ?

I do know the interviewing company had the wrong resume ready, as either they thought they were interviewing someone else, unless they just happened to 'print' the wrong resume.
Sounds crazy. Then why did the guy who interviewed you ask when you could start? Just ridiculous. Are you sure they don't have you mixed up with another candidate again?

Old 06-01-2013, 12:51 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,477,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Why would your own personal compensation figure come under an NDA? How is that proprietary information of your former employer? How do they even word such a thing in an NDA? I have seen several, but none containing such a prohibition. Isn't that especially troublesome for a commissioned salesperson where you have to prove your worth by sales in order for a place to want to hire you? How can you prove you were a good salesperson if you cannot prove you made a lot of money?
I have two types of sales jobs in the last 13 years. 50% of that is high tech sales. I have no NDA for that. The second type of "sales" job I have is working for a small hedge fund. I did sales, IT support, wore a lot of hats as you do in small company. For that company I have a strict NDA covering my comp., fund assets, how clients were marketed, etc. My boss for the fund will allow me to speak in generalities, but not in writing.

Hopefully that clears things up.

Old 06-01-2013, 01:30 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
Quote:
I have two types of sales jobs in the last 13 years. 50% of that is high tech sales. I have no NDA for that. The second type of "sales" job I have is working for a small hedge fund. I did sales, IT support, wore a lot of hats as you do in small company. For that company I have a strict NDA covering my comp., fund assets, how clients were marketed, etc. My boss for the fund will allow me to speak in generalities, but not in writing.

Hopefully that clears things up.
So what if you were applying for a mortgage and they required salary disclosure?

Old 06-01-2013, 01:36 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,125,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post

I'd love to see the language on that NDA. It sounds odd.

Old 06-01-2013, 04:17 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,477,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
So what if you were applying for a mortgage and they required salary disclosure?
I would get permission from my boss to verbally discuss it which I have. He is ok with me talking about without giving exact specifics.

Old 06-01-2013, 05:11 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
Quote:
I would get permission from my boss to verbally discuss it which I have. He is ok with me talking about without giving exact specifics.
So you would only verbally discuss it with a mortgage person and not give them documentation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search