Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2013, 10:13 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,517,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
Most, if not all, of these suggestions are not practical nor enforceable.

You could possibly get rid of credit checks, but then you will have to go over what a bonding/insurance company will require. The jobs in my group do not handle money-- but with a few keystrokes 90% of the people in my department could wreak significant financial havoc on our firm/customers due to our levels of access.

For most jobs, education and experience is one of the many KSEs requested-- but take for example my job-- you could have all of the education in the world, you could possibly even have all of the experience, but there are soft skills and "match" with the environment that quite simply if you do not have them you will NOT be successful. Granted, to YOU they may seem like "not education and experience" but you ask anyone in my group we would debate that it is part of the experience quotient.

I am ALL for health insurance to move off of the employer's back. It would put us at the table in competitiveness with most any other country. Although, I would expect my employer would offer me a private insurance plan so that I am not going to have to only see the regular public doctor, have more privacy in the hospital, etc. My employer offers these plans for our international employees-- it is the cost of attracting the best talent; it is demanded. I haphazard that many Americans are going to lament and whine when they don't get the care they are used to-- although for some of my relatives who do not have access to affordable care I would be ecstatic for the change!

I think in the US we have an overinflated idea of wages. You can't legislate for private companies what the wage rate should be-- although you can legislate what the minimum wage is. We are not in a communism working for government owned entities.

If the employer wants to offer $15.00 an hour and he has viable candidates who WANT that job then that job is not really worth $40,000 a year. That is NOT exploitation.It means that that job is no longer valued at a higher wage--

The US for the most part is paid much higher wages than even corresponding jobs in Europe. I was amazed at how much my former counterparts were paid in the UK, Ireland and France. A job that paid 42k USD here in the US was paid 30K USD in the UK-- and that was one of their top salaries for this job type.

This is city-data, you have to stop making so much logical sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 07:18 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,638,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
The whole minimum wage thing is what started this horrible situation in the first place. Now employers can just offer that, and not worry about the implications: e.g. people's buying power=keeping the economy going forward, or the fact that companies have reduced the product amount but increased its price making unaffordable. Who is regulating and protecting the consumer from that practice??? Just look at cereal boxes.

The prices in the US are also extremely inflated for objects not worth half the price they ask for. The difference is that in the UK for $30k you get health insurance, here at $48k you cannot afford to have health insurance for a family of 4, let alone 5, 6 etc.
Depending on the skill sets you bring to the table, you will not see minimum wage.

I don't disagree that I think the US has a fundamental issue with health care. I do not think employers should be fronting the bulk of that cost.

Just not sure the vast majority really care all that much especially when it hits their wallets. You live in a country where I think even the top 1% in 2009 were paying just 20% personal income tax. Northern europe has significant income tax rates and that is on top of the social costs that employers pay just in payroll taxes to the governments. Ironically some of these major costs are even higher in south america. The high social security costs are one factor why employers keep wages lower.

I worked for a company that did compliance for international employees for multinational corporations. Fascinating really to see the underbelly and true costs of other countries and the amount of taxes others pay.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:56 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
I may have aspergers syndrome and my life may have been hectic when I was younger, but I have a duty to prove myself to the world that I am capable of holding my own. It's more then just working and getting a paycheck. I want something more out of life. I am trying to transition myself off SSI by working so I can reach full independence. I just want a job like everyone else. I'm nothing special, I just want a fair shake.
As mentioned in your other complaint thread in the MA, since you are so unemployable (and in part because or where you live and you have no car), in the meantime go to community college and get yourself some more education!!!

Why are you so impatient to jump into the workforce as a full time employee? The years go by fast. Take this time to get a college degree because later on, the lack of one will hold you back from advancement and better pay. It makes no sense to fight for a full time minimum wage job right now. Get yourself some more job skills, like IT knowledge. Then armed with a car, go apply again for a full time jobs.

Your Aspergers is making you obsessed with having a full time job now. Try hard to redirect your focus and start off by going to a community college. Learn a marketable skill like software coding.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:46 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
As mentioned in your other complaint thread in the MA, since you are so unemployable (and in part because or where you live and you have no car), in the meantime go to community college and get yourself some more education!!!

Why are you so impatient to jump into the workforce as a full time employee? The years go by fast. Take this time to get a college degree because later on, the lack of one will hold you back from advancement and better pay. It makes no sense to fight for a full time minimum wage job right now. Get yourself some more job skills, like IT knowledge. Then armed with a car, go apply again for a full time jobs.

Your Aspergers is making you obsessed with having a full time job now. Try hard to redirect your focus and start off by going to a community college. Learn a marketable skill like software coding.
Maybe Parried isn't right for school at the moment. Perhaps Parried needs a job to get the car. Perhaps Parried needs to get a job to support schooling down the road. I am not sure because I am not Parried, I am mkpunk.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:55 AM

2,135 posts, read 4,273,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Maybe Parried isn't right for school at the moment. Perhaps Parried needs a job to get the car. Perhaps Parried needs to get a job to support schooling down the road. I am not sure because I am not Parried, I am mkpunk.
Perhaps Parried should get over himself and mow a lawn, clean a storefront's window, stop acting like he is the only person whose back hurts after 8 hours of work, do something with his meager existence. I will never be able to live like he does. I WILL find a job or try to learn a skill. Packer43064 doesn't settle for subsistence.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:28 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Telemarketing is always a good start. it improves communication and marketing skills

Old 05-06-2013, 10:39 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
Perhaps Parried should get over himself and mow a lawn, clean a storefront's window, stop acting like he is the only person whose back hurts after 8 hours of work, do something with his meager existence. I will never be able to live like he does. I WILL find a job or try to learn a skill. Packer43064 doesn't settle for subsistence.
You think anyone WANTS to be living that way? You think that anyone WANTS to not have the ability to find a job or learn a skill? Not everyone is able to do this on their own.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
You think anyone WANTS to be living that way? You think that anyone WANTS to not have the ability to find a job or learn a skill? Not everyone is able to do this on their own.
Probably not. Where there is a will there is a way. Only YOU can change your life. The government or your neighbor can't fix this only you. So yes if you can't do anything to change your life and complain on CD all day and throw out stuff like employers are conspiring against you then yes must want to live this way. I'm not taking "no" as an answer if I ever lose my job. I will do everything I possibly can to find a job or make money. Nothing illegal like selling drugs, but I'm not screwing my life up for 5 years living a subsistence lifestyle just because I "can't find a job". Do something about it!

Old 05-06-2013, 02:02 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,410,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
You would try to find a job? Great. That's what I've been doing. Seems like you are just being mean now. Getting a car is half the battle for me. I already have quite a bit of money saved up for one, but I'm dealing with "the politics of used car shopping" with my dad. I'm still trying to figure out how to get around the BS hiring process though.

Old 05-06-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
You would try to find a job? Great. That's what I've been doing. Seems like you are just being mean now. Getting a car is half the battle for me. I already have quite a bit of money saved up for one, but I'm dealing with "the politics of used car shopping" with my dad. I'm still trying to figure out how to get around the BS hiring process though.
You don't need a 9-5 to make money. If you have "quite a bit" already saved up go and get a clunker. You don't need a 6k car or new. Bring your dad or someone who knows what they are doing and get a car that will last a year or two and be done with it. When you have a job then you can get something worthwhile. I'm not being mean. I just don't have patience for people who put up "fronts" all day. You either do something about your life or you don't and live in poverty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search