Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2013, 01:00 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,998,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireyourworld View Post
Yes it separates the girls from the women. Not all sales are full commission. Plenty are an hourly wage, some are hourly plus commission.

But I thought regardless if it was hourly or paid commission if you was not producing sales you had to go?

I had a hourly paid telemarketing jobs and if you had no sales by 1pm you were sent home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 01:55 PM

2,091 posts, read 7,514,709 times
I would never recommended telemarketing. That's not the sales I mean either. Its much easier in person when people are there to see products. Telemarketing is trolling. But that being said if one becomes skilled at phone mannerisms there are good jobs out there my financee has one. He is a master at getting through to the decision maker.

In any case, in ALL jobs, if you are not producing the desired result you'll most likely be fired. That's not unique to sales.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:26 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,883,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
I don't get anything from the government...good job ASSuming. I'm also not a republican. Another ASSuming comment. Keep on ASSuming and letting people swindle this great country until we are crippled in a wheel chair.

Can I say that noone in my entire huge family generations back has never taken any type of government benefit....nope. They probably have. I have a problem with people who cheat the system, but hey if you want to be a cheater too go ahead. Nothing will be done.

Update your own skills on your OWN dime. I'm not paying anything for you to do nothing besides gets a job. Not sitting around for 6 months supposedly "updating a resume".
Not everyone has the ability to do just that. Is it wrong to want a hand-up (note not the same as a hand-out) that will help you gain skills? If these people do not get a job because they cannot update their skills on their own dime, you often end up seeking hand-outs rather than hand-ups that actually get you back into the economy and being productive.

Quote:
Why doesn't anyone here ever try sales? Seriously, car dealerships will take anyone with a pulse to sell cars, or park cars, or wash cars. Yes its commission only, but usually against a draw. Its something resembling a job, you could actually make a decent living at it if you find you have talent for it, and its something to add to a resume that shows you're making an effort. Get some experience and make a little money and you can go for an insurance license and sell that. Or anything else.

Is it too hard to consider standing around in a lot and talking to people? Is it too much work? Is it "beneath" you? You don't need a degree or a skill in anything but flapping your jaw, and I can honestly observe that there are plenty of people here good at that.
My brother went through working with a car dealership and all I ever heard from it was the bad. They had a guarantee salary but oh that only lasts for X months and you need to sell Y cars to get the same as you did during the early months, other sale people on your staff undercutting you to get the sale, and the fact they didn't pay on time. That was the straw that broke the camel's back and my brother went back to the job he left for it.

Quote:
Yes it separates the girls from the women. Not all sales are full commission. Plenty are an hourly wage, some are hourly plus commission.
I wish I could see these jobs. A large majority of the jobs that exist in the sales are exactly commission based. I have seen some but they aren't as common (at least near me) as you would think.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:06 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,633,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Some of the stuff I've seen goes beyond picky.

Take a simple chemist position. You need a chemist that can operate an HPLC, a GC/MS, FTIR, troubleshoot the equipment, develop methods and data quality standards. Instead you report:

Need a chemist with a degree and 5 years experience operating a 5975b Mas spec doing pesticide analysis for PCB's and 5 years expereince operating an Agilent 1290 UPLC system (not even sure it's been arruond that long) for bacterial toxins.

And that is just the start. Throw HR into the mix and
-We won't hire anyone over the age of 40
-We won't hire anyone unemployed
-We won't hire anyone who doesn't score perfect on our psychometric testing
-We will then psychoanalyze you at the interview and if you don't seem like someone we'd like to go drinking with we will reject you
-If we find out you've ever been fired in your life or ever had a supervisor not like you we will reject you
-BTW we'd like you to work via a temp agency so we don't have to pay you benefits, a reasonably salary, give raises or career development, and we can shield ourselves from employer laws.

No wonder employers aren't finding people to hire.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:56 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,790,494 times
I was out of work a long time. During that time, I also went through an awful divorce. I used to have this conversation with a buddy of mine all the time, and we always said if we were ever in a position to hire, all else being equal (qualifications), we would hire the unemployed guy. Someone who is unemployed will work harder (I think) than someone who has a job and is switching. Thats probably an overgeneralization, but still.

I got lucky and found a great job after being unemployed or underemployed for several years (since the recession started, so 2008), but I had to move halfway across the country for it. Love the job, hate where I live. I had no choice though.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:11 AM

507 posts, read 513,884 times
I do not know how I missed this thread but thanks for the eye opening information...I had no idea that companies actually won't consider you if you have been unemployed for more than 6 months...but this is the case with many individuals and this was the case with myself...I lost my job back in June 2012 and spent months looking for work...applying to several long-term care facilities and hospitals...I did not receive a call back until I applied to my current place of employment as a last resort and was hired in less than 3 weeks...thank God I got it because I hated being unemployed and financially it was just a terrible struggle....now it makes me more aware and grateful that this new job that I have helps keep me out of this description and it will be six months with my employer in August...

Old 06-22-2013, 10:22 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,998,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nscorpiored View Post
I do not know how I missed this thread but thanks for the eye opening information...I had no idea that companies actually won't consider you if you have been unemployed for more than 6 months...but this is the case with many individuals and this was the case with myself...I lost my job back in June 2012 and spent months looking for work...applying to several long-term care facilities and hospitals...I did not receive a call back until I applied to my current place of employment as a last resort and was hired in less than 3 weeks...thank God I got it because I hated being unemployed and financially it was just a terrible struggle....now it makes me more aware and grateful that this new job that I have helps keep me out of this description and it will be six months with my employer in August...

It's not true. I was unemployed for 10 months and was still getting calls for interviews. This is just another excuse for some people who need to feel better about being unemployed

Old 06-22-2013, 10:30 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,120,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nscorpiored View Post
It's not true ... it's just excuses that people make.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:32 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,633,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123;29233265

This happened to me several times when I was out of work -[U
I was flat-out told by several companies that they "will not consider" hiring the unemployed.[/u] Considering how many worthless idiots kept their jobs at my former employer, it was particularly insulting.

I believe you. I have not been told that personally, but I have heard others say the same thing.

Old 06-22-2013, 04:47 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,909,702 times
I worked in the HR dept. for about a year and their behavior was absolutely bizzare. Don't try to figure it out. The way they hire makes not sense. Just keep on plugging. I remember one HR recruiter said she would throw out a resume just because she didn't like the font or formatting on the resume. It was mostly women and they were just unbelievable the way they treated people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search