Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2013, 01:04 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
I think a job seeker should always feel they are doing something wrong if they are not receiving calls because that you stay competitive and continue to try new and different job search strategies.
like i said before, there needs to be a balance between striving to improve and beating yourself up over something you can't control. you can acknowledge that there are things you have no control over without giving up. and you can acknowledge that you need to improve without thinking that every rejection is purely your fault.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 01:09 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
like i said before, there needs to be a balance between striving to improve and beating yourself up over something you can't control. you can acknowledge that there are things you have no control over without giving up. and you can acknowledge that you need to improve without thinking that every rejection is purely your fault.

As a job seeker you can't ever get to the point where you say...."i have done everything I can do and still no call backs"

Nope, try something else.

Old 06-26-2013, 01:13 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times
whooooosh.

Old 06-26-2013, 01:31 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
What helps a lot finding a job is networking and maybe even knowing someone who works at the company you send the resume to. My wife got a job in a hospital only because her chiropractors wife knew someone there. The place is full of nepotism. If you don't know someone who works there, you're chances are slim of getting a job, even if you are qualified. IN North Carolina, it was really bad when it came to the school system. Even one of the locals told me that even if you were the best qualified but from somewhere else, they would probably hire a far less qualified local.

Old 06-26-2013, 01:49 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
I think a job seeker should always feel they are doing something wrong if they are not receiving calls because that you stay competitive and continue to try new and different job search strategies.
There are things you control but there are things you cannot control. Even if you do everything perfect it may not work. You can have the right network connections, find out keywords, put job duties in the resume, mention them in the cover letter but you aren't the lucky one because of any number of issues. You could find about the job too late, too early, submit the application later in the day, submit the application when other people do so it gets bogged down, it goes through online but gets lost due to criteria issues, ect.

Quote:
As a job seeker you can't ever get to the point where you say...."i have done everything I can do and still no call backs"

Nope, try something else.
Yeah like the half of resume idea that only worked in your experience.

Old 06-26-2013, 01:51 PM

805 posts, read 1,161,687 times
The problems is that there are so many more applicants than positions available and employers need a way to reduce the number of applications that they have to go through. One way is to only call people who are currently employed. The assumption is that people who are currently employed are better workers than those who aren't (a dubious assumption, perhaps, but one that many hiring managers make).

One way to increase the response rate is to apply to jobs where there are relatively few other people applying. Jobs that get listed on craigs's list, careeer builder, indeed, etc. simply get flooded with applications, so I think I am going to focus entirely on jobs that are only listed on a company's website and not on a third party website.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_the_facts View Post
The problems is that there are so many more applicants than positions available and employers need a way to reduce the number of applications that they have to go through. One way is to only call people who are currently employed. The assumption is that people who are currently employed are better workers than those who aren't (a dubious assumption, perhaps, but one that many hiring managers make).

One way to increase the response rate is to apply to jobs where there are relatively few other people applying. Jobs that get listed on craigs's list, careeer builder, indeed, etc. simply get flooded with applications, so I think I am going to focus entirely on jobs that are only listed on a company's website and not on a third party website.
However some like Kohl's only use these websites. The issue is because of the amount of potential employees, it is a crap shoot if you get a response or none. People can do everything right but because someone was a better candidate in some way (currently have a job, have all the criteria, have the most experience, ect.) It's not a cut and dry way of knowing how you can improve. You can be the great but if there is a candidate who is the best, the best typically wins out over the great candidate 9 times out of 10.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:32 PM

805 posts, read 1,161,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
However some like Kohl's only use these websites. The issue is because of the amount of potential employees, it is a crap shoot if you get a response or none. People can do everything right but because someone was a better candidate in some way (currently have a job, have all the criteria, have the most experience, ect.) It's not a cut and dry way of knowing how you can improve. You can be the great but if there is a candidate who is the best, the best typically wins out over the great candidate 9 times out of 10.
I generally agree but I would revise that to say "candidate who the hiring manager perceives to be the best." Hiring managers often times have no idea who is the best candidate and use stereotyping and gut instinct to make a hiring decision. Just because someone else was hired doesn't mean they are a better candidate for the job than you. In many cases, they are a worse choice.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:48 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
There are things you control but there are things you cannot control. Even if you do everything perfect it may not work. You can have the right network connections, find out keywords, put job duties in the resume, mention them in the cover letter but you aren't the lucky one because of any number of issues. You could find about the job too late, too early, submit the application later in the day, submit the application when other people do so it gets bogged down, it goes through online but gets lost due to criteria issues, ect.

Yeah like the half of resume idea that only worked in your experience.

It was a new strategy and it got a response.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
It was a new strategy and it got a response.
Yeah though HR people on here suggested not to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search