Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 07:48 PM

5,896 posts, read 3,895,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDude25 View Post
In general, when you've been out of work for so long people become lazy, sleep late, wake up late, lose technical skills, people skills, poor working memory, low energy, less competent, dress bad, can't hold down a full-time job, and overall a bad performer.

Companies like experience and someone whose actively employed and has proven themselves in the workforce, because those skills are transferable and productive and can benefit that company.
As someone who is actively employed, I would not hesitate to dump a new employer pretty quickly if I find out on the job that the place is a hellhole. A guy at my company moved on to another job last year, only to dump the new employer after a month and half. Wasn't what he expected so he came right back to our place.

Someone who has been out of work for so long won't have that luxury. They'll be more likely to stick it out at a bad place because they really have no other choice at that point. Quit, and its an even longer gap they have to explain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 03:27 PM

334 posts, read 221,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
As someone who is actively employed, I would not hesitate to dump a new employer pretty quickly if I find out on the job that the place is a hellhole. A guy at my company moved on to another job last year, only to dump the new employer after a month and half. Wasn't what he expected so he came right back to our place.

Someone who has been out of work for so long won't have that luxury. They'll be more likely to stick it out at a bad place because they really have no other choice at that point. Quit, and its an even longer gap they have to explain.
Good point. As I mentioned in my previous post, I was unemployed for two years (did temp work here and there), but once I landed the full-time gig, I was a different person. However, the first two weeks on the job, I wanted to run for the hills because it wasn't what I wanted. Couldn't do that because unemployment was almost out and I knew how long it had taken me to find a job. Now, had I left a job to go there and was able to get my old job back, I would have done it in a heart beat.

A guy at my old job landed a new job, but was also in the process of interviewing at other places. After a week at the new place, he received a better offer and dumped the place he was at for a week.

Another gal I worked with left for a new job. After two months, she received a better offer for something else and dumped the other company too.

I think this is why companies should consider the unemployed over those who already have jobs. The unemployed are going to appreciate a job much more. In fact, when I was unemployed for two years and took the job that I wanted to run away from, I ended up being there for five years (it did get better as I learned the job).

Old 06-02-2017, 04:47 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,044,535 times
I've been pretty much unemployed for almost 3 years. I did a bit of "consulting" work during that time, but mostly I had a big gap. I'm debt free and have my budget well under control so living off savings and bits of income was ok, and I really like my free time (all of it.) I'm also close to 50. And I have a BS STEM degree.

I've been job hunting more intensively for the past 6 months or so. I just today got offered a job that I think will work out ok. It's not in my field but it is a technical job. I had two inteviews with 4 managers for this job and I liked the people the people there very much. They expect to train whoever they hire so I made it clear that I want to learn as much as I can. They told me that they are going to split my time between 2 departments, which sounds good to me.

This job also pays a bit more than the last real job that I had. I start at $20/hr, which is good for this town. Commute is 3 miles, I may be able to bike commute it eventually.

I'm going to miss my unlimited free time but this seems like a good place to work.

Old 06-02-2017, 07:01 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDude25 View Post
Companies like experience and someone whose actively employed and has proven themselves in the workforce, because those skills are transferable and productive and can benefit that company.
correct
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search