Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 02:26 AM

2,135 posts, read 4,273,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampaite View Post
I think you need to define 'being out of work' means to you.

If am in a niche field and say living in pick a city, Detroit and if there aren't as many jobs in the niche field then you stay unemployed.

Now, if you mean did I do anything to keep myself busy or work odd jobs - you bet but would I put it on my resume, the answer is NO.
Niche field? After 2 years or more *********r niche field. Be a pizza delivery man. You can't just not work for 2 years because I can't find any work in my "niche field". Putting up roadblocks as usual is the norm nowadays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 04:17 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,409,746 times
This whole argument is like a broken record. We just told you man. Finding work is not easy. In fact for some people it's impossible. Even this "pizza delivery job" you are bragging about. I could apply to one of these jobs but I know I won't get it. Heck, they won't even call me for an interview.

Yes, it's that bad. This is real life.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:54 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,672,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
Niche field? After 2 years or more *********r niche field. Be a pizza delivery man. You can't just not work for 2 years because I can't find any work in my "niche field". Putting up roadblocks as usual is the norm nowadays.
i have been applying to some jobs slightly below the responsibility level of what i am doing now (basic receptionist jobs when i am a more senior AA and have done project management and whatnot) and have had the interviewers express serious concerns with me being overqualified for the job. and that's the ones who called me back. if i applied for a job at mcdonalds, the manager would worry, and rightly so, that i would be taking off as soon as i got a real job.

i know these are high turnover professions by nature but just like every other employer right now, they can afford to be fairly picky and go with the lifer over the person who is obviously going to be quitting ASAP.

never mind the many documented examples of people not being able to to get back onto their career track after taking jobs that are a big step down.

so yeah, once again, things are not as simple as you seem to think. and just to head off your "doom and gloom complainer" talk, i am NOT saying that people should give up their job searches or whatever you think i've been saying the last times we've had conversations. just that reality is reality and you can't hold it against people just because they have a hard time finding work in a tough economy.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
This whole argument is like a broken record. We just told you man. Finding work is not easy. In fact for some people it's impossible. Even this "pizza delivery job" you are bragging about. I could apply to one of these jobs but I know I won't get it. Heck, they won't even call me for an interview.

Yes, it's that bad. This is real life.

"but I know I won't get it". The longer you think this way the longer your unemployed. Go-getters....people who make something of themselves get things done. Again....embelish whatever skills you have. Also can you do anything else to make money? Obviously something isn't working. Go mow a lawn....when people are desperate they have to make something work. This might be America, but nothing is free or given. It has to be earned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
i have been applying to some jobs slightly below the responsibility level of what i am doing now (basic receptionist jobs when i am a more senior AA and have done project management and whatnot) and have had the interviewers express serious concerns with me being overqualified for the job. and that's the ones who called me back. if i applied for a job at mcdonalds, the manager would worry, and rightly so, that i would be taking off as soon as i got a real job.

i know these are high turnover professions by nature but just like every other employer right now, they can afford to be fairly picky and go with the lifer over the person who is obviously going to be quitting ASAP.

never mind the many documented examples of people not being able to to get back onto their career track after taking jobs that are a big step down.

so yeah, once again, things are not as simple as you seem to think. and just to head off your "doom and gloom complainer" talk, i am NOT saying that people should give up their job searches or whatever you think i've been saying the last times we've had conversations. just that reality is reality and you can't hold it against people just because they have a hard time finding work in a tough economy.
Easy fix. If your a manager at job "X" leave that out on the resume. Noone says you HAVE to put that your a manager on a resume. Still put the job, but not a manager or what have you. It will help to find a job, but if you have to take that "lower" job just leave it out. When times are tough have have to think outside of the box.

Again 2...3...or 4 plus years is beyond absurd. Noone wants to lower their life style. It isn't natural to want to make less money and spend less money. At times though take that "lower" job just so you don't have a 4 year gap.

I know very little who have a 3/4 or even a 2 year gap. They are the type who take out the 99 weeks of unemployment and sit around for 6 months before really start looking for a job. I will notice a job (trash man) where they work that pays decent ($14 or 15$) and will tell them about it. They look at me bewildered....I have to pick up trash! Yes if it pays close to what you made before you lost your job....or you can sit at home while your wife supports you.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:48 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wireyourworld View Post
Obviously the people who are employed have some skill, unrelated to the job, that enabled them to get a job or stay employed. They could be perceived as more flexible, adaptable and hard working then a longer term unemployed person. They have some innate talent that attracted someone else into hiring them, this makes them more attractive to hire, obviously someone else found they were worth hiring, perhaps they are looked at as having fresh potential.

They also chose possibly to take jobs "below them" perhaps at a wage close to what unemployment would have paid, because they find living off of such assistance abhorrent, and they were wise enough to figure out that in the future an employed person would be more attractive to an employer then a long term unemployed one.

Of course they could just have "right place right time" luck.

Why in the world would someone take a job LOWER than unemployment? What sense does that make?

Old 04-25-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Why in the world would someone take a job LOWER than unemployment? What sense does that make?
I agree it might not make much sense, but here are a few reasons.

1. They don't want to live off the government. They want to be a productive citizen.

2. If you did take 99 weeks of Unemployment that is a huge gap. At some point the unemployment gap will play a factor in getting a job. So it is better to take the less pay then have the gap.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:22 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,516,810 times
Quote:
Because not all of us are bottom feeders. Call it patriotism if you will. Sucking the system dry is not what some of us feel is the right thing to do. You're a taker, that much is obvious, you defrauded the system and show no guilt for it.

Some of us were raised with ethics and morals and simply wouldn't consider being a snake like that.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireyourworld View Post
Because not all of us are bottom feeders. Call it patriotism if you will. Sucking the system dry is not what some of us feel is the right thing to do. You're a taker, that much is obvious, you defrauded the system and show no guilt for it.

Some of us were raised with ethics and morals and simply wouldn't consider being a snake like that.
Love this post.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:26 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,204,453 times
Quote:
Because someone like me would never hire someone if I found out they were so lazy that they declined a job (and a chance to prove their mettle) to stay on unemployment.

Get a low paying job and use it to prove you are worth a higher paying job.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:29 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
I agree it might not make much sense, but here are a few reasons.

1. They don't want to live off the government. They want to be a productive citizen.

2. If you did take 99 weeks of Unemployment that is a huge gap. At some point the unemployment gap will play a factor in getting a job. So it is better to take the less pay then have the gap.

Let me change that, only if someone is coming to the end of their UC then I guess it makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search