Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2013, 10:11 AM

805 posts, read 1,161,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Please stop talkin to me about employment gaps because it makes no sense. I was called in for a interview with a 11month gap

The End
Yes, that's just your experience. Millions of Americans have had a different experience. Also the study referenced in the link indicated that employers were much less likely to respond to individuals who had been unemployed for more than six months. That is the difference between anecdotal and empirical evidence. Empirical evidence, such as the study, is much more persuasive because it has been shown to happen time and again whereas anecdotal is not as persuasive because it is just an isolated experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 10:18 AM

2,135 posts, read 4,271,992 times
Quote:
Let me change that, only if someone is coming to the end of their UC then I guess it makes sense.
It doesn't matter. You got lucky. Many have went 11 months and longer (not sure how) and if they just took their pride in and took that lower paying job they might have the nice high paying job in 6 months. As others have said. Not everyone wants to be a leech on society. If that means you suck it up and only get a $50 Unemployment check so be it. Unless I become truly disabled I will NEVER be a leech on this country. I have respect for myself and others. I don't want Joe Schmoe to pay for me. I can be the Joe Schmoe and produce from my own mind and body.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:07 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wireyourworld View Post
It doesn't really matter what you are talking about.

You can have a full time job that is less than your unemployment check. You work, you gain experience, you network, you pay your taxes into the system instead of sucking it dry. Then you report, and if you didn't make as much as your check, they will send you the difference. Instead of them sending you a $275 check, they may only have to send you $35. The rest stays in the pot for future use.

The chances of you getting a better job as an employed person and going completely off of UI are better then if you are unemployed.

As is evidenced by this thread.

Not evident to me because I was unemployed 12 months and found a better job with benefits. Someone else found a job after being out of work 16 months so it can happen.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:12 PM

2,091 posts, read 7,514,109 times
Quote:
Not evident to me because I was unemployed 12 months and found a better job with benefits. Someone else found a job after being out of work 16 months so it can happen.

Your continued skirting of the fact you committed fraud is disgusting. There is nothing you can say that HONESTLY justifies your experience.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:15 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,669,719 times
there is a big difference between "it can happen" and "it is likely to happen". wireyourworld did not say that it is impossible to get a job when you're unemployed. just that is less likely that you will.

the statistics show that *in general*, people who have been unemployed long-term have more trouble finding jobs. the fact that your individual experience is different does not mean anything. that's called anecdotal evidence and it means approximately nothing.

if one in a million people have some kind of blood disorder, and i say it's rare, would you say "it's not rare, my sister has it"? that's pretty much what you're saying here.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:27 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,601,744 times
Quote:
Yeah... and I saved $14,000 working in 2012 while you were at home sleeping til noon collecting your UI looking for that better job.

I'm sure it was worth it. How exactly does living week to week feel anyway?

Old 04-25-2013, 12:32 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_the_facts View Post
Yes, that's just your experience. Millions of Americans have had a different experience. Also the study referenced in the link indicated that employers were much less likely to respond to individuals who had been unemployed for more than six months. That is the difference between anecdotal and empirical evidence. Empirical evidence, such as the study, is much more persuasive because it has been shown to happen time and again whereas anecdotal is not as persuasive because it is just an isolated experience.

From June 2012 to December 2012, I received 29 invites for a interview which was during the period the 6th month of unemployment to the 12th month. So that means that after 6 months of being unemployed I averaged a total of 5 calls a month from employers.

So what were you saying again about employers not calling anymore after the 6th month? It depends on the resume they are receving. And most of those were jobs I didn't want I just applied to prove that employers do call after you been unemployed for 7 months or more.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:41 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:
From June 2012 to December 2012, I received 29 invites for a interview which was during the period the 6th month of unemployment to the 12th month. So that means that after 6 months of being unemployed I averaged a total of 5 calls a month from employers.

So what were you saying again about employers not calling anymore after the 6th month? It depends on the resume they are receving. And most of those were jobs I didn't want I just applied to prove that employers do call after you been unemployed for 7 months or more.
A data point of one is not a statistical trend.

Three economists set up an experiment last year. They sent out 12,000 fake resumes for 3,000 real job openings in 100 different labor markets (different industries and areas of the country). On these resumes, they varied the employment status and, if the bogus worker was unemployed, they varied the term of unemployment from one to 36 months. Then they tracked callbacks against duration of joblessness.

They found that, for jobless applicants, “the average callback rate sharply declines during the first eight months of unemployment and then it stabilizes.” In fact, at eight months of unemployment, callbacks are 45 percent lower than at one month because the callback rate falls from around 7 percent to around 4 percent.

That means that you as being unemployed for 12 months has a 45% less chance of getting a callback than a person who just lost their job last week. Again, using only your own experiences to make sweeping generalizations isn't exactly the best idea.

Duration Dependence and Labor Market Conditions: Theory and Evidence from a Field Experiment by Kory Kroft, Fabian Lange, Matthew Notowidigdo :: SSRN

Old 04-25-2013, 12:41 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
It doesn't matter. You got lucky. Many have went 11 months and longer (not sure how) and if they just took their pride in and took that lower paying job they might have the nice high paying job in 6 months. As others have said. Not everyone wants to be a leech on society. If that means you suck it up and only get a $50 Unemployment check so be it. Unless I become truly disabled I will NEVER be a leech on this country. I have respect for myself and others. I don't want Joe Schmoe to pay for me. I can be the Joe Schmoe and produce from my own mind and body.

The purpose of UC is to find the RIGHT OPPORTUNITY not just any because that does nothing but creates stress and more problems. If you are unemployed after 11 months then that's when you have to create a new list of survivial jobs that you are still willing to do.

Not just apply to a crappy retail job and be miserable.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:43 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireyourworld View Post
Your continued skirting of the fact you committed fraud is disgusting. There is nothing you can say that HONESTLY justifies your experience.

So holding out for the right opportunity is fraud now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search