Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 03:38 PM

756 posts, read 2,117,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2M View Post
It does get frustrating when the company does not give the timeline or their process of hiring. If they told you upfront in the phone interview that there may possibly be 2 more interviews scheduled for this date and if successful in that round another interview for this date, then you can plan for time off and then you could also advise them of your timeline since you were needing to move. Communication is the KEY to success for all parties!

I agree, unless you were totally excited to work for that company they are time wasters. Most companies that are hiring have a plan in place to schedule times, interviewers, checking references, when they are expecting to make offers and starting dates.

I hope you are liking where you are living now and the position you are doing.
I agree.

I recently went through an interview process that was supposed to be two rounds, phone and in person interview. The second round I met with all the important people. The feedback was that they liked me but wanted to do a third round, lighter interview, after the second round. What for? They said that I was a bit nervous and they wanted to assess my personality a bit more. Whatever. Atleast, I passed the second round, the critical round, which meant I was qualified. Between the second and third round, it's mainly about them finding the right candidate among other qualified candidates.

As this wasn't planned, I deduce it's a stalling tactic in this case too. They liked me, but weren't sure of me, but didn't want to close the door either. Perhaps they are interviewing someone else and if that person declines or isn't worth it to them, the timing would fall in their favor, that I might still be around.

I went through a recruiter and she was indicating for me to write a thank you letter if I was interested. I declined on doing that, as this wasn't the fit for me. I had hesitations too, and in a way, I'm glad that they didn't make me an offer with a short window of expiration date (offer expires in 3 days), and I'd be in a situation where I'd feel guilty not taking the offer or unhappy taking it under pressure without seeing other options either.

I have been through other interviews where a third round does happen unannounced prior, but important directors/managers not in the second round, partake in the third round, which is more understandable. But between round 2-round 3, it's typically easier, unless alot of people are applying for a position and there are just too many qualified candidates around.

Last edited by avg12; 04-26-2013 at 03:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 05:28 PM

686 posts, read 1,767,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
...What the hell could possibly have changed since last week? And if another person needs to interview me, why did they not set up the time that day I took 1/2 day of PTO and came in to their office? Again, this just shows me how deeply inefficient this company is.
I see your point of view and agree with its principle.

Companies commonly end up scheduling an extra (unplanned) interview under three circumstances:

* they like the candidate, but they aren't sure about some things;
* they have two candidates and they like to figure out which one is the better fit;
* they feel the candidate might be able to take on a slightly different or more responsible job than the job for which they had originally interviewed the candidate.

All these are good reasons, but this should really be an unplanned extra interview, and the company rather be candid about the reason with the candidate.

Old 04-27-2013, 01:42 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,841,862 times
Quote:
I know how it goes on this forum. The so-called "Employers" on this forum want us to perceive that they have ALL the power over us, and that we, the worthless "Employees", have little to no power over the situations we find ourselves in. Is there a ring on someone's finger I can kiss to show my appreciation and gratitude? Maybe I can rub thebunny's foot for good luck.
ROTFLOL
Can't rep you enough!

Old 04-27-2013, 03:42 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,409,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
Thought you never, ever, got called for anything?
I don't. Someone on here said they had to do that for the job.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:32 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,767,416 times
I'm wondering if letting your employer know that you are interviewing is such a bad thing.
I know when I was last job hunting, I kept my employer and every company I was interviewing with apprised of the whole process. Everyone seemed very happy with this (and it help me keep the door open with one of the companies I was interested in, but could not take a job with at this time).
We have a few people getting ready to retire (which is a bit different situation than just leaving, but they could stay), and they have been very open about their post-retirement job hunts. This has led to extra help for them in their job hunts; my employer even has a class on how to move on to your next job (e.g. how cobra works, etc.) I guess maybe that is part of being public sector. We know that we have no resources to retain talent, so it is only a matter of time until people leave for someone else.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:46 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,674,085 times
marigolds, that really, really depends on your employer.

my bosses know i am looking, they are fine with it, and it does make things much easier.

but not everyone has a boss they can trust with that information. some places fire people as soon as they give notice as a matter of course. saying you're looking could be taken as giving notice or it could just make your boss mad. and then you might be treated differently, fired, or have all of your time off requests denied.

so yeah, if you know you can tell your employer without bad consequences - if you trust them a lot, or if you've seen other people give long/indefinite notice with no problems - it's definitely better to just tell them. but not everyone has that option open to them. and i mean, one common reason people look for a new job is a boss who mistreats them, you know?

Old 04-27-2013, 08:05 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,375,751 times
How much of these interviews are necessary process and how much is the feather bedding of the human resources dept.? The busier you make your day with all these "necessary" interviews the more you justify your own position.

Old 04-27-2013, 11:07 AM

2,718 posts, read 5,358,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Your post shows what the problem is these days.

First why do you need to bring in "several people" to hire a receptionist or another low level position? I worked somewhere we're they must have brought in 20 people for a receptionist. The woman doing the hiring mentioned to me she decided on someone but they already got another job. I said "of course they did, you made a production out of hiring someone to answer the phones".

Second you mention not being able to coordinate a group interview. It is amazing how this didn't seem to used to be a problem, sure things come up, but you can coordinate to have everyone in the room at the same time with some planning.

And how about telling the candidate ahead of time rather than at the second interview that someone isn't going to make it or try and reschedule the interview? Treat people the way you would like to be treated.

If someone is working it starts to get rather obvious that they are interviewing, imagine coming out for your second interview only to be told John Smith can't make the interview today so you will have to come out again.

Most working people don't want to lose their job while looking for another one.

You can only have so many "doctor appts" before people start to wonder what is going on.
Whatever one's personal feelings on today's hiring practices, at the end of the day you have to deal with what is. I did not say that I agree with all of the red tape involved and frankly, it does not matter at all if I do. If someone wants a job, they go through whatever hiring process is in place or they move on.

In the case of the OP here, since he was moving and not really banking on this job, he had nothing to lose by saying, "I am scheduled to relocate on X date. Would it be possible to know by that date if an offer is forthcoming?" I would have zero problem with a request like that. I would be thankful for it especially if the candidate was someone I thought would be ideal. They surely could have moved on things if he was the standout candidate. I know I would have.

Old 04-27-2013, 11:43 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times
Quote:
That doesn't tell me that you understand anything about the field or how the nature of career path hierarchy is structured. It is vast, and many positions in the field are unique to the company offering them. Some titles or sets of duties that are common in the field are logistics coordinator, logistics analyst, supply chain analyst, buyer, purchasing agent, procurement coordinator, procurement analyst, etc. My current position is a combination of logistics/procurement/accounting. The position I interviewed for was an analyst role by title.
You chose a good field; my godson's college has kids coming out with Bachelor's degrees with firm 80k offers starting in June. Since the school has a good rep with many extremely large employers, he has the good fortune to have as his professors people who mentored folks in the upper mgmt of SCM in several of these large multinationals. The local corp hqed here he interviewed with chose in that round, 4 entirely from that one program to interview. The Director called the dean telling him what he needed to fill, and he contacts them every year.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:53 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
I know how it goes on this forum. The so-called "Employers" on this forum want us to perceive that they have ALL the power over us, and that we, the worthless "Employees", have little to no power over the situations we find ourselves in. Is there a ring on someone's finger I can kiss to show my appreciation and gratitude? Maybe I can rub thebunny's foot for good luck.
Let me cut the fuzzy lil thing off for ya and put it on a keychain!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search