Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 10:41 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco6163 View Post
The real problem that comes with lying on a cv is not what happens during the interview process. It is what happens after you get hired. It is like working with a time bomb ticking away. It may not go off before your employment ends. Or it may be the end of your employment when it does go off. Either way, it makes for a rotten state of employment. Another little nasty possibility is that you get hired and then unlawfully fired. After being fired, if your lies are detected by the employer you may lose your ability to recover some of the damages you suffer. Just about any way you look at it, the cv will be a problem for you after you are hired and until your employment with that employer ends.

So here is what I suggest you do....live with the lies for now. Get hired. Then start looking for another job with another employer ASAP. It will be easy to tell your future employers that your recent hire doesn't feel right. If your employment with the employer you lied to is short enough, you are not likely to ever get caught with your lies, and even if you do get caught some day, the employer probably won't care after you are gone. You won't have to deal with another false cv (presumably you will correct your previous errors). Eventually, you will be able to chalk this one up to experience without suffering much more than the inconvenience of having to hunt for jobs twice.

I believe people have lied in the past because I had to bring in the original copy of my degree not a a copy.

Not sure if it was because it was a government job or because so many people have lied in the past
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 05:35 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,638,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGGM View Post
Thanks. I confess I was being emotional before sending out the CV. The previous interview just irritated me with my negative experience with my previous employer years ago. I thought anyway I couldn't get a job, so why just fudge a bit as the gap was purely not my fault?

But I regret now and won't do it again!

The thing is shall I also fill in the PES form with a fudged date if I get hired? I'm just afraid of being caught if they compare the form I signed 2 years ago when I entered the same company.
Depends on the company really.

At my employer, they will compare everything. 1 month from a 6 month gap will make you fail the background check.

1 month versus 2 months-- not so much.

My company is VERY thorough (employees are all bonded) and in fact they do checks again on the employee in the event of moving to certain different roles, organizations within the company and as a rule every 3-5 years.

Old 05-03-2013, 05:54 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,638,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
If you show up at a interview and have a positive and pleasant demeanor, most of the time a interviewer won't care about a gap.

Just have a few stories about why your personality makes you a good fit for the position you are being interviewed for.
Generally the interviewer probably wont care.

It will be the background checking process that will care.

And typically, hiring managers will NOT get a chance to say-- Oh, it was such a small lie; I liked the person!

Old 05-03-2013, 07:00 AM

117 posts, read 246,738 times
Quote:
True. I usually don't do that. But the market seems unwilling to give a highly-skilled personnel a chance just because he had a few employers in the past. I'm forced to do that. I simply have to eat and live!

I'm concerned they might check my PES which I filled 2 years ago and then found the discrepancy (let me hope not). If that's the case, I'd better admit it was an unintentional error or tried to make another story (such as being redudant instead of employed during the gap). I'm hesitating between the 2 strategies.
I wouldn't bring up the error until hired (if at all). If it's brought up, say it was an unintentional error. You learned from it and won't do it again, so in a way, yes it was unintentional. You did it, but didn't expect to worry or feel such guilt, and won't do it again ^.^

I asked my friend about this, he hires investment bankers for bulge-bracket banks. He says for competitive jobs (I don't know what kind of job you are applying to), they are looking for any reason to throw your application out, since there are so many applicants to weed through. From small (like a typo) to large gaffes, don't give them a reason, if you want to be hired, that is.

Basically, his guidance is somewhat in line with Mystique's opinion:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
Just look them straight in the eye and don't blink. employers are Nazis looking to screen people out. Don't let them do that to you.
-- if you want to get hired, that is!

Old 05-03-2013, 08:37 AM

686 posts, read 1,767,900 times
Quote:
Could anyone suggest how I should state about my previous employment during the interview? You may condemn me for my premature decision when writing the CV (I swear I never do it again, which is too dangerous). But please givbe me some constructive advice...
Just send out the correct CV next time, even if you send it to your previous employer. If your previous employer interviews you and specifically asks you about the inconsistency, tell them the incorrect date in the earlier CV was an error.

Again, just maintain the correct CV everywhere, including on LinkedIn. Please don't follow any advice that tells you otherwise.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:25 AM

548 posts, read 1,217,529 times
Quote:
I also thought about that too. However I directly sent my CV to the manager, so shall I just tell him now that I've found a few errors and want to send you again? Then most likely the interview will start with a negative tone, which is usually hard to be reversed

Or are you suggesting me simply to give up this opportunity? There aren't many interviews going on now, espcially out of the company...
You could try that, and hope that he doesn't compare the two and figure out what you were up to.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:06 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,946,279 times
How many gaps did you fudge? If it is only one you could probably say that you made a mistake. I have actually done this myself, though in my case it was a legitimate mistake. If you fudged multiple gaps, you are probably toast if they do any sort of digging.

Old 05-03-2013, 04:53 PM

29 posts, read 73,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
How many gaps did you fudge? If it is only one you could probably say that you made a mistake. I have actually done this myself, though in my case it was a legitimate mistake. If you fudged multiple gaps, you are probably toast if they do any sort of digging.
It is unfortunately multiple gaps I've filled. I know I was being crazy.

For the first employer, I extended by 5 months at the end and another 2 months at the beginning. And the 2nd just one month at the beginning and end respectively. So altogether I created 9.5 months more experience.

Old 05-03-2013, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albuquerque101 View Post
You could try that, and hope that he doesn't compare the two and figure out what you were up to.
I think he will surely compare the 2.

Old 05-03-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMUR View Post
Just send out the correct CV next time, even if you send it to your previous employer. If your previous employer interviews you and specifically asks you about the inconsistency, tell them the incorrect date in the earlier CV was an error.

Again, just maintain the correct CV everywhere, including on LinkedIn. Please don't follow any advice that tells you otherwise.

I didn't tell any lie about my last employement, as they are within the same organization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search