Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 08:56 AM

29 posts, read 73,127 times

Advertisements

I just bet that they will only focus on my last job within the same organization. Of course, it's a gambling!

I was being naive when making this decision. But it seems that whatever the "right" thing I do following, it will end up with a failure of this application. The only way to succeed is to stick to my "lies" and pray...

Maybe the best outcome for me is to fail the interview, and I can go for other relatively "honest" applications...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 09:14 AM

Maybe the only thing I can do is to convince them of my capability or switch the focus on my issue with my last manager. So they won't bother spending much time on my previous ones as I was already an employee.

If I fail the interview, thank god! you make the best arrangement for me...

Old 05-05-2013, 09:36 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,669,719 times
i honestly would not worry too much about the interview. that will probably not be affected by this. where you will run into problems is the background check. and if that comes back showing that you lied about your job history.... it doesn't matter what the hiring manager thinks of you. you're out.

at this point i don't see the harm in doing the interview, as long as you understand that you might end up not being able to apply at this company again. but it seems like that might be the case either way. i personally would send the corrected CV along to the manager but that's up to you.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
i honestly would not worry too much about the interview. that will probably not be affected by this. where you will run into problems is the background check. and if that comes back showing that you lied about your job history.... it doesn't matter what the hiring manager thinks of you. you're out.

at this point i don't see the harm in doing the interview, as long as you understand that you might end up not being able to apply at this company again. but it seems like that might be the case either way. i personally would send the corrected CV along to the manager but that's up to you.
I'm not worried about the interview itself. I'm concerned what to do during the interview or before. Shall I correct my error or just let it be but make everything consistent even not true?

Do you think sending along a corrected CV would still keep the same chance to get the job?

Old 05-05-2013, 11:35 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,669,719 times
it's very hard to say.

you might get away with sticking with the lie.

or you might not.

if you're not going to get away with it, sending the corrected cv would be the better course of action. if you're going to get away with it, of course sticking with the lie is better (in terms of the immediate outcome, anyway). but you just can't know until it's too late.

at this point you have all the info you need and you just need to make the decision that feels right to you. as i said, i personally would send the corrected version and state that the previous version had errors. that's not a great thing to have to do, but you're kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place here.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:39 PM

Thanks. I've made up my mind. I keep it like this at this moment. During the interview, I would just say that I became redundant with one of my previous employers. Once I pass the first round, I would send them the corrected resume in the evening before the 2nd one, telling them that the employment dates were adjusted in order to avoid confusion.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:55 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,390,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
I believe people have lied in the past because I had to bring in the original copy of my degree not a a copy.

Not sure if it was because it was a government job or because so many people have lied in the past
Wow. I couldn't even do that. Mine was destroyed in a house fire (water damage) and I have never bothered with the $30 to replace it. But it is online and able to be verified that way.

And, guessing it is a combination of both reasons.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:09 PM

117 posts, read 246,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGGM View Post
Suppose I'm hired, shall I still fill the fudged dates on the PES? If I do, then it is not an unintentional error any more. What I can do only is to pray that the hiring manager or recruitment department don't compare the form I fill with the one I did 2 years ago. The difficult is that they still keep my files and won't remove it until one year later.
I would put in the correct PES dates.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:04 PM

1 posts, read 893 times
Hi

OP I wondered what was the outcome of this? I am in a similar situation. Been offered a job (given start date, contract etc) but I am worried they will now check my references, and I lied on my CV and said I had been in my current job for longer than I have (when really I was still studying). I dont know whether to keep quiet, hand in my notice at my current job and pray for the best, or withdraw from the new job because of the risk. What do people think? Do HR always check dates? And if I get found out could I pass it off as a mistake?

Thankyou opinions would be much appreicated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search