Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 09:31 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times

Advertisements

If someone tries to get a interviewer to reconsider after being rejected isn't called begging?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 09:32 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,741,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
If someone tries to get a interviewer to reconsider after being rejected isn't called begging?
In the most extreme case, it can be considered harassment (which is legally enforceable).

Old 05-05-2013, 09:34 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,674,085 times
it definitely comes across as begging. and as hemlock pointed out, if you're a finalist, unless you totally flubbed the final interview, they are probably not going to reject you until they have offered the job to someone else and that person has accepted. asking them to reconsider is just pointless.

anyway, i think the OP gets the point by now.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:36 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
it definitely comes across as begging. and as hemlock pointed out, if you're a finalist, unless you totally flubbed the final interview, they are probably not going to reject you until they have offered the job to someone else and that person has accepted. asking them to reconsider is just pointless.

anyway, i think the OP gets the point by now.

Exactly, what would be the point of trying to get them to reconsider when it has been already offered to another person.

Old 05-05-2013, 03:17 PM

856 posts, read 1,052,063 times
Default Pull Down Your Shades, Groar! LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post

...and dude, face it, no matter how much of an expert you consider yourself, when you write novels on a message board not everyone is going to read every word of every one of your posts. i do read them, but you can't expect others to.
Hi, Groar, sorry for my enthusiasm....

"...but you can't expect others to..."

I don't. My posts are only for those who need to read them; not the entire forum.

If my post is 'too long' then that reader must not need my advice.

So for those to whom my posts do not pertain- simply draw your shades.

My posts are generally for the poster and those amongst the number in the corner of my window.

And the fact that they are lengthy is not my concern- if you go to the book stores you will find entire 'novels' regarding these issues.

You guys are getting off cheap.

I'm not here for points, friendship or contests.

And if it is not clear by now- no one should be asking for a forum friendship relationship since I don't want anyone to determine later they want to distance themselves from me.

Thanks, Groar.

Paul

Old 05-05-2013, 03:30 PM

Default Hi, Blinx!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx;29428421

Paul, you may have great advice to impart, but it's a little, um, wordy. [I
Many[/i] folks won't read long posts in their entirety!

Can you say more, with less?

No.

Paul

Old 05-05-2013, 09:58 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,423,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
Yes, this is a good, standard response to any rejection.

Paul, you may have great advice to impart, but it's a little, um, wordy. Many folks won't read long posts in their entirety! Can you say more, with less?
Blinx, IMO and very respectfully - HHP is sharing with us (who are not headhunters) the logic used by successful headhunters, who have to out-think hiring managers. The hiring manager might THINK he/she knows the kind of person that is needed. The HH needs to understand the company - and the hiring manager - well enough to analyze it from more perspectives than the HM himself. It's quite a feat, really. You have to be analytical, people-wise, have the wisdom Solomon, and be able to play 3D chess (forgive me - I love Star Trek) at the same time.

Personally, I value times when somebody who is extremely capable at ANYTHING is willing to share how he thinks.

Doesn't matter if it's stress factors in bridges; how to slice and dice performance in engines; or how to understand people and their motivations, and come up with a counter-strategy. When you have somebody who is extremely capable who is willing to share their thinking, the smart thing is to value every word, IMO.

The funny thing is, masters at ANY craft tend to think the same way. By trying to learn how they look at things. we all are better prepared in life. From that standpoint, the more HHP shares, the better we (who are NOT masters of that craft) are able to maneuver in life.

Just my way of looking at it, and best to you.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:16 PM

Default Joy In the Morning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post

Blinx, IMO and very respectfully - HHP is sharing with us (who are not headhunters) the logic used by successful headhunters, who have to out-think hiring managers. ...

Well, well.

Thank you very much, Jane, your post is appreciated.

And as much as I like your comment about 'out-thinking' HA's, I prefer to view this as simply 'anticipating' the needs of a HA. For the money they pay us, they have a right to expect this. (Heck, if I have to really out-think a HA, s/he is probably not a viable client!)

It is difficult to understand how someone can read an entire post and then complain they had to read a lengthy post.

Sorta' like the overweight diner who complains to the maître d’, demanding the desert be struck from the bill since the waiter 'made' her eat the cheesecake.

I'm not here to start fights and I wish those who have a problem with my 'lengthy' posts simply stop reading them.

I was here in 2009 and saw that by and large, the 'informed amateurs' here seemed to be posting useful advice and with that in mind, my presence was not much required.

(...'informed amateurs' being the majority of posters here who are not employed in the Employment/Recruitment/Outplacement business...)

Now I'm back and I said this before: my posts are geared to 'add' that which is missing from a post.

As Jane kinda' said, when a question is asked, I address all relevant issues so as to as broadly as possible, hit all the relevant possibilities that can arise from the poster's scenario.

The Poster then has more ammunition and so do the 17,000 +/- lurkers.

I have the experience to know what was skipped or is missing in a post; I ask respectfully that you all let me say what I have to say inasmuch as I am more or less the only (?) professional here daily involved in the execution of Employment and as such, I have 'answers' many of you do not possess in your database of knowledge.

If you all knew as much as I you would be saying what I say. (In an abbreviated fashion, yes, 313?)

Since you don't, I cover what got skipped.

And that is natural- most posters 'answer the question'. Short and Sweet.

I can't do that; I can't 'leave stuff out' simply because someone's eyes are going to get bloodshot from reading my post. For those to whom my reply applies, I am more than confident they will read my post(s) in their entirety.

And, yes, I strive to make my responses somewhat personal in style since that is my prerogative.

I'm not paragraphing correctly?

Next will be issues surrounding my penmanship.

Paul

Last edited by HeadhunterPaul; 05-05-2013 at 11:26 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 05-06-2013, 05:29 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
Why is HeadhunterPaul assumed to be a "master of his craft"?

Old 05-06-2013, 05:51 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,674,085 times
seriously - we are all anonymous on here, and just because someone speaks with great assurance and constantly tells us how successful and fantastic he is, it doesn't mean it's true. maybe he is a successful headhunter. maybe he's an unsuccessful one. maybe he's a mediocre one. maybe he's not really a headhunter at all. we only have his word on the matter.

if you think his advice is great, good for you. i think some of it is great, some of it is fine, some of it is actually bad. and despite his patronizing and rude responses to anyone who dares to disagree with him, i will continue to speak up if i think he's wrong. i don't think the forum should be expected to drop to its knees in his presence, you know? i don't think the dude needs any more encouragement to think his poo doesn't stink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search