Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 01:18 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times

Advertisements

[quote=fragglewaggle;1886882]To work as a fine jewelry retail associate at most chain stores, the applicant is subject to a background check and a credit check. He or she also has to take an honesty test and in many cases, a 'salesmanship' test. He or she also has to be bonded. So it's not as if there are no safeguards in place for the employer.

Frankly, I think it's a lot of bulls**t for a barely-above-minimum-wage job. The drug test was the deciding factor in me saying to myself, "You know what? It's just not worth it." There are plenty of employers who don't require an applicant to jump through a bunch of hoops just to be a low-paid wage slave.[/QUOTE]
If that's your attitude you are going to be a low paid wage slave for a long time...drug testing is more the norm now adays not the exception

Old 11-01-2007, 01:37 PM

44 posts, read 127,142 times
As a college grad, I've held numerous white-collar, professional jobs, and was NEVER required to take a drug test for ANY of these positions, even though many of them involved cash-handling responsibilities.

I've also held part-time, low-paying retail gigs...and it's only these retail jobs that require drug testing.

Old 11-01-2007, 01:44 PM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasonville View Post
I don't have any illegal subhstances or unregistered firearms or stolen property in my house - but do I want the police to be able to search without a warrant proving they have probable cause?

"Nothing to hide" is not a reason to surrender more power to authorities
Drug tests for people seeking employment is as much an invasion of privacy as having to go through metal detectors in a public airport or some other public building.

It's like saying someone joining the army today is being "drafted"....it's a choice....no one is making anyone take a drug test. 100% voluntary.

Old 11-01-2007, 01:56 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,268,428 times
You may or may not be in agreement with the employer about the necessity of certain things, but at the end of the day, you have to decide just how badly you want the job. Don't cut off your nose to spite your face!
IMO, as long as it doesn't involve moral compromise etc. and I want the job, I would probably jump through their hoops. It's funny the things that bother us though. For one receptionist job, I was required to take an IQ test along with a drug test... after they had offered me the job. I felt that was a bit much but ... I took it!

Old 11-01-2007, 01:57 PM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
While I am not sure that the person who shows up on Monday still hung over from Sunday's Football game is any better than someone who smoked a joint 3 weeks ago - it would be fine if I suspected an employee of doing illegal activities - it would be my right as their EMPLOYER to have an EMPLOYEE tested - an APPLICANT is not your EMPLOYEE - I think the rules are (or should be) different.
Employers offer money to people to do things as varied as painting barns, flying bombers and um.....dancing on stage around a pole. They can require them to wear chicken suits, execute people, jump motorcycles over flaming pits or flip hamburgers.

They can require the applicant to take drug tests, sign non-compete or confidentiality agreements, agree to keep their weight at a certain amount etc. etc. etc.

The applicant, like the girl that started this thread....doesn't have to do ANY of these things....it's 100% VOLUNTARY. As such, it's as much an invasion of privacy as a multi-million dollar athlete calling themselves a "slave".

Old 11-01-2007, 02:26 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,732,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fragglewaggle View Post
As a college grad, I've held numerous white-collar, professional jobs, and was NEVER required to take a drug test for ANY of these positions, even though many of them involved cash-handling responsibilities.

I've also held part-time, low-paying retail gigs...and it's only these retail jobs that require drug testing.
So how'd you go from white collar jobs to being a jewelry salesman then? Not that there's anything wrong with jewelry sales...

Old 11-01-2007, 02:34 PM

2,636 posts, read 6,649,419 times
Quote:
While I am not sure that the person who shows up on Monday still hung over from Sunday's Football game is any better than someone who smoked a joint 3 weeks ago - it would be fine if I suspected an employee of doing illegal activities - it would be my right as their EMPLOYER to have an EMPLOYEE tested - an APPLICANT is not your EMPLOYEE - I think the rules are (or should be) different.
So what happens when you hire the applicant, drug test them on their first day and find class A substances flowing around in their brain? Then you have to go to all the trouble of firing them and then looking for new applicants again whereas if you just drug test the applicants before hiring them then you'll never have this problem. A drug test is no more an invasion of privacy than a background check and you seem to be fine with them.

If I knew that someone used drugs (be it a recreational user or a full on junkie) then I wouldn't want them in my company, full stop, rule off. Just because someone doesn't have a drugs conviction on their criminal record doesn't mean that they don't do drugs, it just means that they haven't been caught yet.

Old 11-01-2007, 02:44 PM

44 posts, read 127,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
So how'd you go from white collar jobs to being a jewelry salesman then? Not that there's anything wrong with jewelry sales...
I sometimes work retail jobs to supplement my income as a white-collar professional.

Old 11-01-2007, 02:49 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,732,653 times
Quote:
I sometimes work retail jobs to supplement my income as a white-collar professional.
Interesting. I have never known any white collar jobs to require less than 40-50 hours a week. You must like working a lot.

Old 11-01-2007, 04:08 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:
You're right. It wasn't worth it for me to schelp out to wherever the urinalysis was to take place, and try to squeeze out a sufficient quantity of urine for the test. I guess my complaint was that the drug test made me feel like I was 'guilty until proven innocent'.
More and more employers, of all types, are requiring drug testing as a condition of employment. Frankly, I cannot blame them. It is a matter of risk reduction for the employer.

While you certainly have the right to refuse to be tested (and I support that right), at the same time, the employer has the right to refuse to hire you (and, I support their right as well).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search