Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 09:08 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,162,909 times

Advertisements

NEVER. I have never gone on an interview and spilled any type of negativity - it's important to reflect on the positive, your strengths and how you maybe made a somewhat difficult situation into a positive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 09:24 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,498,953 times
I did and respectively pointed that out to prospective employers. I was hired under 1 circumstance and it was turned 180 degrees 2 months later I stuck it out 10 months and I quit.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:50 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,686,820 times
i agree with what most of the posters here are saying - it's never a good idea to say bad things about your past managers. hiring managers don't know you or your situation and they are going to wonder what the other side of the story is. i would just say something like despite seeking out projects and blahblahblah (basically, showing that you were proactive about trying to fix the situation), you were not as challenged as you expected to be by the position.

it is also hard to spin a job tenure that short, and is 3-4 months' experience in these skills really going to mean that much to a hiring manager? i sort of doubt it. i'd say get out as soon as you can, and when you are looking for the the position after next, leave this job off your resume. you're still within the amount of time that is reasonable for looking for a job between positions.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:59 AM

23,584 posts, read 24,109,566 times
I once worked in a company that had a hostile takeover by a hedge fund firm. The hedge fund manager took over the company in order to pump up the stock price for his own gain. Over a few months, they ruthlessly cut any duplication and staff. Morale went from what was already a bad situation to very poor. I ended up leaving the company for another opportunity. When companies interviewed me, I mentioned this as the reason for my leaving.

Old 05-06-2013, 06:56 AM

117 posts, read 247,095 times
i've heard it particularly in the financial sector. for example, for a few years, UBS was known in the industry to have poor management. if everything else about you seems great and they want you, it won't bother them. that being said, i try not to be negative in interviews. i focus on positives.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:04 AM

12,111 posts, read 23,315,548 times
I had an interview a number of years ago in which I was encouraged to be open and honest about why I was looking to leave my current jod, so I was. I wasn't hired. I was told I was too negative about my employer. I understand not bad-mouthing employers but if you don't want to know, don't ask.

Old 05-06-2013, 02:09 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,938,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I had an interview a number of years ago in which I was encouraged to be open and honest about why I was looking to leave my current jod, so I was. I wasn't hired. I was told I was too negative about my employer. I understand not bad-mouthing employers but if you don't want to know, don't ask.
It's a fallacy, you want applicants to be truthful but it isn't wanted when you give them a real answer.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:25 AM

15,948 posts, read 12,309,285 times
If there's one thing I've learned about corporations is that excessive honesty does more harm than good. Save your honesty for your loved ones and friends and when it comes to corporations, tell them what they want to hear. If you did something wrong, playing stupid will keep you out of trouble... there are no brownie points for being honest.

With that said, all sorts of incompetent people are in middle management that don't have a clue. The best managers work their way up from the bottom, they aren't just given a job because they have a degree in management. Buyouts from investment firms are never a good thing either....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search