Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 06:27 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,393,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
It's not that unusual for a candidate to be introduced to the potential co-workers, and does not mean that the person will get an offer. Some places do it with everyone they interview, to see how they react to the people and even get feedback from the co-workers before making a decision. I usually only do it when and if I have a second interview due to 2-3 people being very close and that doesn't happen often.
Agreed. That part was normal, it was him saying he would have the offer letter to me the next week BEFORE I had talked to any of the coworkers that was weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 06:34 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,393,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudetypist View Post
Yes he did say he was offering it to me after I asked. I spoke with him today and he will email me an official letter this afternoon, then I will quit my job. Boy is it tough keeping this info from my coworkers.

Thanks for the heads up. I probably wouldn't have bothered asking for it in writing otherwise. Just curious, what grounds do you have if they retract their offer even with an offer letter in hand? Do you take it up in court?
You could, in theory. But a rescinded offer is barely actionable as you have to show actual damages...if you are out of a job for 6 months due to a rescinded offer but got UI, the most you can likely recover would be the difference between the UI payments and what you were making at the old job. Take lawyer fees out, and it is basically nothing,

Old 05-16-2013, 06:47 PM

650 posts, read 1,812,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
it's not impossible to lose an offer once you have a written one (for instance most offers of employment are contingent on a background check and/or a drug test), but it's much less likely to happen.

the guy who verbally offered you the job may not know that the CEO's nephew has already been promised the job or that there's some red tapey thing that prevents him from hiring you. or maybe he is ok with the salary you want but hr isn't. once you have a written offer, the company is more committed to you and you know your candidacy has been more thoroughly vetted, on all levels of the organization. you also have in writing what your compensation and terms of employment are going to be, which is always handy.
Well the guy who offered me the job was actually the Partner of the company. Unless his other partner decides to rule against him, it's highly unlikely.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
You could, in theory. But a rescinded offer is barely actionable as you have to show actual damages...if you are out of a job for 6 months due to a rescinded offer but got UI, the most you can likely recover would be the difference between the UI payments and what you were making at the old job. Take lawyer fees out, and it is basically nothing,
Yeah I agree. Which brings me back to my question. Is there really a purpose to having a written letter if it holds no legal weight?

Old 05-16-2013, 08:50 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times
the purpose is to know that you have a solid offer from them before you give notice at your current job. you are employed right now, right?

Old 05-17-2013, 07:45 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,099,388 times
I hear so much of "get it in writing". I'm a stickler, I suppose. I don't believe I have a job until I receive the first paycheck. Even the written offer to me just says they may be interested.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:29 AM

UPDATE:

Got the offer letter this morning and officially quit my horrible, horrible job! I could not be happier!

Old 05-17-2013, 08:30 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times
congratulations!!

Old 05-17-2013, 08:36 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudetypist View Post
Yeah I agree. Which brings me back to my question. Is there really a purpose to having a written letter if it holds no legal weight?
The offer letter should include details of title, salary/wage and benefits. This way you have a written record should you be hired and then the company does not follow through as promised. I have successfully negotiated for additional vacation in the past and had to haul out the offer letter every year when HR shortchanged me.

An offer letter would also help in the circumstance where you quit, then the new company rescinds the offer. In this case you should qualify for unemployment as a layoff, rather than voluntarily leaving your job.

I doubt that it would be useful for much else. You would not be able to legally compel them to hire you, and since pay is contingent upon work, from a certain viewpoint you have not lost anything if you do not actually work.

Old 05-17-2013, 03:06 PM

254 posts, read 597,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avg12 View Post
Not to be a wet blanket, but get an offer in writing (email is fine), before quitting the old job, or even ending the job search.

Sometimes the manager might think he or she can just hire you, but it has to be approved up the chain.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search