Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 02:50 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,523,159 times

Advertisements

being a good tenant is what realtors check for when placing renters. Landlords also check that considering a new tenant. Employers don't need that info.I doubt that is why they ask for prior addresses. I have to agree with JennStar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 09:42 PM

774 posts, read 1,693,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58 View Post
This is another one of those questions which, if asked, and not given the choice to "skip" it, I just don't apply.

I also ALWAYS refuse to provide a Social Security number.
Wow, I agree with you in principle, but unfortunately it's hard to get anything done without giving up your SSN. They just boot you out--and this goes for moving to a new town and getting new utilities in your name, etc. They have no right to require it but if you don't provide it they decline your application for service. Sometimes when I knew there was no legitimate purpose to the enquiry, I've given a slightly wrong number so it could look like an accident. 8 instead of 3 etc. Never caused an issue, huh!

Old 05-28-2013, 10:35 PM

23,531 posts, read 24,011,889 times
Likely for a background check.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:16 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,489,068 times
This is why I always maintained my parents house as a main address until I bought my own house. 26 years, two addresses. Boom, done!

Old 05-29-2013, 05:06 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
yeah, they're just collecting information for a credit/background check to be done later if you progress to that point. they'll get your permission and anything else they need later in the process. i am not a fan of employers collecting all this unnecessary identifying information at application (some ask for SSN too!), but it happens.
Besides for E-Verify purposes, SSN should not be included.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennStar View Post
I think seven prior addresses is a little much. Just put in the two where you lived the longest. Also, some people move almost every two years for some reason or another. They want to see you have stability.
Yeah like the apartments are bad, got fired and hired at a further location so they moved apartments, ect. Personally if these are legit moves as in you moved 5 times as a kid for parent's work or being a military brat that is different from jobs dried up and moved to another state every year to find a job.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:01 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,397,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archguy View Post
Wow, I agree with you in principle, but unfortunately it's hard to get anything done without giving up your SSN. They just boot you out--and this goes for moving to a new town and getting new utilities in your name, etc. They have no right to require it but if you don't provide it they decline your application for service. Sometimes when I knew there was no legitimate purpose to the enquiry, I've given a slightly wrong number so it could look like an accident. 8 instead of 3 etc. Never caused an issue, huh!
They are going to ask for your SSN at some point.....but if they ask for it on the original application, I'm not giving it to them. Who wants that information floating around hundreds of places. I have to know they are serious before I'm going to give that out.

I've VERY seldom been asked for a SSN when applying for a job.....but I will NEVER, EVER give it.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:33 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,083,430 times
All that is needed for a criminal BG check is a driver license.

Your SSN is another piece of information that will satisfy the requirements of the I-9 form.

Never...EVER.....give this very sensitive information to a prospective employer.

You give this stuff up when you accept an offer of employment.

As far as previous addresses go.....

Give them your current one and a previous one that you were at for the longest.

That will be plenty of information that they need.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:50 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_the_facts View Post
Some employers ask for prior addresses on their online application. Today, I applied for a job that asked for my last seven(!) addresses. I feel that prior addresses constitute personal information irrelevant to the job application process. What purpose does such information serve other than to waste the time of applicants?
They are going to check with local records there which is common. you do not to have to tell them but they also do not have to hire you ;plain and simple.

Last edited by texdav; 06-03-2013 at 10:00 AM..

Old 07-01-2013, 04:21 PM

774 posts, read 1,693,588 times
Rather than get involved in a big argument, just give a garbled version of your SSN and later claim dyslexia if you're called on it

Old 07-01-2013, 05:02 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Just another reason for someone to get discouraged when completing online applications and go into crime
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search