U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 01:19 PM

2,845 posts, read 5,729,141 times

Advertisements

I agree do NOT mention a bf! Interviewers don't like to hear that at all... We had a guy interview and gush so much about his gf we were wondering if his gf was interviewing or him!

I agree with the suggestions that you moved for family reasons and have always wanted to settle in MA. Beautiful state IMO
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 01:27 PM

9,489 posts, read 19,743,570 times
Just say you've got ties to the area. They can't legally pry any further than that.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:19 PM

17,815 posts, read 24,105,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
There's no need to mention "your boyfriend". Too much information.

Simply:

"I moved here for family reasons."
"I like MA."

It's already too much information as it is. No need to disclose your marriage status, sexual orientation, etc. etc.

Keep in mind, interview is about your job and your ability to do the job. Anything else is irrelevant and can hurt your chance if not careful. Keep non-work related information out so that you can be judged solely on your ability.

I had a candidate coming in and the first thing that came out of his mouth was "I just got divorced and now taking care of 4 kids etc..." The first thing that went through my mind was that this guy must need a lot time off to deal with his kids.

Do not give that to your interviewer. Keep the conversation strictly to business. Work, work, work. Nothing more. It will help you to show that you are a professional.

You NEVER say for "family reasons", that sounds like there is some type of family problem like someone who is seriously ill(an elderly parent, a sibling who is very ill, you just became legal guardian to your cousin's 3 kids), which in the the interviewer's mind will register as you needing time off.

You steer clear of "family reasons" and focus on liking MA.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:05 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,772,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by limbo24 View Post
Just lie or reframe like everyone in this thread advised. That's the way to success!!!
What's wrong with that...?

It's the only way she'll have a chance...if someone answered they moved for their boyfriend - interview would be over in my mind..and I wouldn't take her serious.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:37 AM

444 posts, read 782,069 times
I'm rather interested, because don't a lot of people move because their spouse got a job out of state? Or recent college graduates move in with relatives to save money, or to have someone who can support them until they find a real job?

Why would someone be excluded because they moved to be with someone else, or finical support? As long as one isn't "gushing", what's is the harm?

GRANTED: I see the argument of not wanting a young female moving for a relationship because that means kids, and kids mean more work. But moving for family could just be moving for finical resources, right?

Old 05-31-2013, 09:40 AM

35,102 posts, read 47,945,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candycanechick View Post
Hello,

My boyfriend and I have been moving around the country for the past 6-12 months for work. The previous move was easy because we both had temp/contractor jobs in the same company. We both tried to find steady employment relating to our college majors. He found work before I did. We packed everything up and moved to MA. Now, I'm applying in MA and employers have been happy to interview me. But, they ask me "Why are you in MA?". I'm not sure how to respond?

Does it look bad if I say I moved for my relationship? If so, what should I say instead?

You should do what other posters have suggested and LIE to start out your new job and new life. That is the absolute most intelligent thing to do and don't be surprised when they find out it was a lie and fire you.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:43 AM

26,639 posts, read 13,409,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candycanechick View Post
I'm rather interested, because don't a lot of people move because their spouse got a job out of state? Or recent college graduates move in with relatives to save money, or to have someone who can support them until they find a real job?

Why would someone be excluded because they moved to be with someone else, or finical support? As long as one isn't "gushing", what's is the harm?

GRANTED: I see the argument of not wanting a young female moving for a relationship because that means kids, and kids mean more work. But moving for family could just be moving for finical resources, right?
Look, the main reason is you should NOT discuss things irrelevant to your ability to do the job. The keyword here is "irrelevant". It is a JOB interview not a date.

Don't bring up things that aren't relevant - that is one of the crucial rule of interview.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Look, the main reason is you should NOT discuss things irrelevant to your ability to do the job. The keyword here is "irrelevant". It is a JOB interview not a date.

Don't bring up things that aren't relevant - that is one of the crucial rule of interview.
I would love to not bring it up, but I've been asked in most of the interviews I've had. The question is how to handel the question with out later getting fired for lying, AND why certain answers are better than others?

Old 05-31-2013, 10:01 AM

7,285 posts, read 15,627,659 times
People move for personal reasons all the time.

How do people explain relocating when their spouse gets a job transfer?

Why do you have to "explain" moving to a place anyway? Is it a dump where nobody would ever move?

Old 05-31-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
People move for personal reasons all the time.

How do people explain relocating when their spouse gets a job transfer?

Why do you have to "explain" moving to a place anyway? Is it a dump where nobody would ever move?
One explains because they were asked to explain? What is the alternative?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search