U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-31-2013, 10:56 AM
 
26,630 posts, read 13,398,111 times
Reputation: 8044

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by candycanechick View Post
One explains because they were asked to explain? What is the alternative?
"I moved here for personal reason" or "I move here for family reasons" would not incite more questions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-31-2013, 12:17 PM
 
Location: Keosauqua, Iowa
9,487 posts, read 19,727,457 times
Reputation: 13226
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
"I moved here for personal reason" or "I move here for family reasons" would not incite more questions.
Exactly. And if it does, politely say that you'd prefer not to elaborate. There are very few personal questions that an employer can ask during the interview process. Not saying you should call them out on it as it might make them think you're the whistle-blower type and get your name moved to the very bottom of the pile; just steer them away from the subject.

As i said before, just tell them you have personal ties to the area, and maybe follow that up with a few things unique to the area that you like to do or are looking forward to doing.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2013, 12:42 PM
 
3,491 posts, read 6,554,713 times
Reputation: 1728
just be honest.Honesty is the best policy
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2013, 12:58 PM
 
16,377 posts, read 21,178,754 times
Reputation: 14363
Quote:
Originally Posted by candycanechick View Post

GRANTED: I see the argument of not wanting a young female moving for a relationship because that means kids, and kids mean more work. But moving for family could just be moving for finical resources, right?
It could be a tempy situation. Which might make the company think that you are moving for the time being until the family situation changes (if caring for a sick relative, maybe they get better or move into a nursing home, then you don't need to be in MA any more. )

If you moved for your spouse, that would be a perfect reply. But since you are not married, you cannot say that you moved for your spouse. If you say you moved for your boyfriend, it doesn't sound quite right.

Besides, your really didn't move for your boyfriend. You AND your boyfriend researched areas and MA was a place you both picked.

Tell you wanted to move to MA for a long time and want to stay a long time and that you love it here. Then stay silent and wait for the next question.

If they keep asking what you love or why you picked MA over other places, come up with reasons you like it over where you used to live (close to the ocean, things to do, great restaurants, great weekend getaways, nice trees, clean, great sports teams, great people, good schools, etc)

what they really are trying to figure out....Are you likely to move away soon. That's all they want to know.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2013, 01:09 PM
 
543 posts, read 1,130,984 times
Reputation: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by candycanechick View Post
I'm rather interested, because don't a lot of people move because their spouse got a job out of state? Or recent college graduates move in with relatives to save money, or to have someone who can support them until they find a real job?

Why would someone be excluded because they moved to be with someone else, or finical support? As long as one isn't "gushing", what's is the harm?

GRANTED: I see the argument of not wanting a young female moving for a relationship because that means kids, and kids mean more work. But moving for family could just be moving for finical resources, right?
If I were interviewing you, my only concern would be that he is your boyfriend, not your fiance or your husband. You may well be in a long-term committed relationship that is stronger than most marriages, but the fact remains that you aren't married or engaged. That raises the question "what is going to happen if they break up?" Your potential employer may worry that if that were to happen, you would move away and they would lose you after investing time into training you, etc.

When I was interviewing, I had no problem saying that I was interviewing there because my husband got a job offer in the city and we would move there if I got a good job there as well. I never had a bad reaction to that answer, and got job offers at both places I interviewed at. Honestly, moving because your spouse got a job there sounds more logical and stable than "oh, I think I would like to live here." But I don't know if you will get the same reaction given that you aren't married.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2013, 01:21 PM
 
219 posts, read 409,885 times
Reputation: 540
You are making this too difficult. You are in a relationship and moved here because he found work. Nothing wrong with that. Give them some bs vague response and they will see through it and not take you seriously. You have been moving around, so why you moved there is absolutely relevant in the eyes of the employer, regardless of what others here feel, which is why it has been asked in prior interviews. Situation like this happened not too long ago with my employer. The applicant gave them a bs response only to find out later it was to be with a boyfriend. They did not care that she wanted to live near him, but cared a lot that she lied about it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2013, 01:38 PM
Status: "Pray that Presdient Trump stays safe!" (set 1 day ago)
 
Location: Kansas
22,448 posts, read 18,809,825 times
Reputation: 21769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerntraveler View Post
just be honest.Honesty is the best policy
I agree. I would say that I moved with a friend who has gotten a job in the area. I would know and list to the interviewer a string of reasons that I had for wanting to stay here after arriving with my friend and looking over the area. To many people, a boyfriend is not equal to a husband which means if you break up with the boyfriend, they would figure you would leave the area and go "home". I would know all of the pluses of the area and how they were right for me. If you lie and they find out, it will be an integrity issue and they'll wonder what else you don't mind lying about.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2013, 01:39 PM
 
26,630 posts, read 13,398,111 times
Reputation: 8044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerntraveler View Post
just be honest.Honesty is the best policy
Honesty is overrated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2013, 02:52 PM
 
3,567 posts, read 5,697,729 times
Reputation: 11024
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennStar View Post
Just say your boyfriend got a great job there and you both are planning a more permanent relationship. Tell them you have done some research on that city and the jobs and that you see great opportunities for your self.
Her relationship shouldn't enter into the job interview; it has nothing to do with her qualifications. "Family reasons" is truthful but vague enough. No need to go into details about how permanent or temporary her relationship is. It's none of the employer's business; in fact, they aren't even allowed to ask if an applicant is married, so why volunteer relationship status information?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2013, 02:57 PM
 
1,658 posts, read 3,374,079 times
Reputation: 1705
Quote:
Originally Posted by changeisdue View Post
Situation like this happened not too long ago with my employer. The applicant gave them a bs response only to find out later it was to be with a boyfriend. They did not care that she wanted to live near him, but cared a lot that she lied about it.
So she said something like "I moved here because I like it" and then your employer found out she had a boyfriend who also moved...and they looked unfavorably upon her for that?

...really?

As if the two are mutually exclusive. I'm not doubting you, but I'm just in disbelief at the sheer amount of scrutinization your company just showed over details that are so ridiculously unrelated to work.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top