Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 06:09 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times

Advertisements

I'd hate to work for or with someone that thought a job is some sort of weird social club. I go to work to do my job, and be productive. Most people can interact with each other without issues just as if if they went anywhere in public, the store, a hospital, the bank where they had to interact with others they can do so without things getting ugly.

All this emphasis on hiring people the manager would like to hang out with strikes me as shallowness and cronyism. People really need to grow up this isn't a high school popularity contest this is a recruitment for an important business function.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 06:25 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I'd hate to work for or with someone that thought a job is some sort of weird social club. I go to work to do my job, and be productive. Most people can interact with each other without issues just as if if they went anywhere in public, the store, a hospital, the bank where they had to interact with others they can do so without things getting ugly.

All this emphasis on hiring people the manager would like to hang out with strikes me as shallowness and cronyism. People really need to grow up this isn't a high school popularity contest this is a recruitment for an important business function.
i don't see how you got that from the post.

and while you shouldn't base your hiring decision on personality alone, it should play a part. the most skilled person in the world isn't a good fit if they freak out under pressure and you have a high pressure work place, or if they can't compromise or work with people and your employees need to work in teams. then again those things might not matter, depending on the work to be done and the company. you don't have to want to be best friendies with your employees, but they need to have a temperament and work style that fits with your company's culture.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:08 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
I think the real purpose was to self promote her book and blog.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:41 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times
well i guess you could say that's the real purpose of all of her writing - she's a writer, that's kind of what they do. she has a regular weekly "column" or whatever you call it on that site and on the usnews site. i would guess that her motivation for writing those columns is that they pay her and she gets exposure. which is the motivation of any professional writer.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:54 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
i agree with most of what you're saying in your post, but i have to take issue with this. i have great references going back over 10 years from supervisors, but my current supervisors can't give me a reference. it's against company policy. it's more and more common to have these kinds of policies. some managers ignore them, but if an applicant's managers do adhere to company policy, it's certainly not the applicant's fault!

i supply my (flawless!) performance reviews in lieu of a reference from my current job. it's not as good as a reference but it's the best i can do under the circumstances.
You are right, I should have clarified. I lumped old performance reviews in with recommendations in my mind. I should have specified that.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:11 AM

111 posts, read 223,648 times
The point of her article isn't to pick on workers, but to point out to managers why they keep hiring people who don't work out. There are plenty of managers who overlook what should be really obvious warning signs when hiring people - like lack of recommendations, flakiness, being really vague about accomplishments, not understanding what the job is by the time the in-person interview comes around, etc. Some hiring managers like to act like they were tricked by crafty interviewers who looked like they were great and turned out to be lazy or toxic employees, when most of the time there are red flags.

The same is true of job candidates too - the way your interviewer acts (disorganized, not interested, doesn't seem to know what they really want the job to be or how it fits into the overall company) is a good indication of how they will manage.

Also, this is good for employees when hiring managers are mindful of these potential problems. It's when they ignore things like flakiness, rudeness, etc. during the interview that we end up working with lazy jerks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search