Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 12:17 PM

570 posts, read 1,729,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merchant_ZZZ View Post
I agree that they tap into the hidden job market, but why ignore further contact?
I don';t know. I had never expected them to call back unless they can get me an interview. I haven't deal with them for a couple of years now. They did helped me to a 6 months contract in Intel, then Intel turn me into fulltime. Which it helped me career a lot even though I'm not working for Intel now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 07:23 PM

177 posts, read 532,324 times
Sorry I missed all the replies here -
So the last couple of days I been getting ALOT of headhunter calls again. On Friday someone called... telling me he came across a job blabla...... I continued talking to him today - and he said he wanted to meet with me but needed to have my references first.
Please correct me if I am wrong, I really don't like to give my references to headhunters and agencies ahead of time. I really don't see a point, if I work with like 10 headhunters and they are all calling my references they could get annoyed.
So he asked me to come downtown tomorrow to meet at a coffeeshop to talk - seriously ???? unless you have a job or an interview lined up for me I dont just randomly want to go downtown and chat over coffee about jobs.
Am I being wrong ?

Old 06-17-2013, 07:26 PM

382 posts, read 664,260 times
That sounds kinda fishy.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:33 PM

I also forgot to mention that he said: Ohh I know your old boss from your last job - pretty nice guy.

Yea well I don't know about that, we got a new manager at my last job that I did not get along with and he pushed me out the door. And I don't like the fact that he knows him.

Am I being wrong for not meeting up - could I loose on a potential job interview ?
Should I supply him with my references ahead of time ?

Old 06-17-2013, 08:56 PM

23,534 posts, read 24,022,219 times
You said it very well!

Rudeness and flakiness is the "new procedure" for recruiters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
This is the new norm. You are no longer a person that deserves any respect you are simply a cog in the machine. You fit great you might have a chance. You don't you go down the sucking vortex. And god forbid if you question the recruiter, like I did, why they never followed up when they said they would twice because now I am probably blacklisted with that company.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:05 PM

501 posts, read 801,228 times
I think its to save face because as I learned in a previous post (I believe from Merchant_ZZZ) they are using resumes to contact previous employers soliciting their business.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:04 AM

3 posts, read 16,065 times
Sorry to say, this is there way of getting contacts to call for possible job leads. The references you give are normally managerial in nature and all the questions about your former employers as well. The agency recruiters then call these people trying to solicit business.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:00 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachjj View Post
Sorry to say, this is there way of getting contacts to call for possible job leads. The references you give are normally managerial in nature and all the questions about your former employers as well. The agency recruiters then call these people trying to solicit business.
I agree. Calling to ask you for references before there is even a job on the horizon, calling to "go over" your resume including names of your former supervisors, calling to ask where you've been interviewing lately are all tactics to try and get new leads of places for THE AGENCIES THEMSELVES to call and offer their services, not to help YOU get a job. They are using you and will just annoy your references. Just play dumb and say, "After I have an interview with a company, I will give you my references. I don't give references unless I first tell them who from what company to be expecting to call because they are busy people."

Old 06-18-2013, 10:05 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosela View Post
Sorry I missed all the replies here -
So the last couple of days I been getting ALOT of headhunter calls again. On Friday someone called... telling me he came across a job blabla...... I continued talking to him today - and he said he wanted to meet with me but needed to have my references first.
Please correct me if I am wrong, I really don't like to give my references to headhunters and agencies ahead of time. I really don't see a point, if I work with like 10 headhunters and they are all calling my references they could get annoyed.
So he asked me to come downtown tomorrow to meet at a coffeeshop to talk - seriously ???? unless you have a job or an interview lined up for me I dont just randomly want to go downtown and chat over coffee about jobs.
Am I being wrong ?
He sounds like a real bottom feeder if he doesn't even have an office for you to meet in and you have to met in a coffee shop. Do not meet him. Do not give him any references. Let him annoy someone else's references trying to sell his questionable services. Let him start his shoestring "recruiting agency" off someone else's back. Stay away! Remember it could be anyone calling you ... probably someone no other recruiting agency will even hire so he has to resort to such desperate measures to try and turn up a buck.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:17 PM

Thank you everyone - really appreciate all the great tips and advice.
I did not go and meet with the Coffee Recruiter - I emailed him yesterday that I could not make it to the appointment and he had the nerv trying to reschedule... hahaha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search