Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2013, 04:40 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,230,824 times

Advertisements

My last career (a solid job with a good reference but different field) was in 2009. I spent the last 4 years at home (stay at home mother) and now I'd like to start a new career (education - I finished university in 2009 at the same time as the last career). How do you recommend I approach the obvious employment gap? Do I just state on the cover letter that I stayed home with the kids? How do I word that? I'm also worried I will face discrimination if an employer thinks I'm going to just leave again to have more kids (I won't - I'm done). I would appreciate the advice! The only work/school related thing in the meantime was attending language school part-time to upgrade my second language (which is the main language here).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 05:55 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
It's none of their business why you were out of the job market for that time, but they may assume that you were laid off or quit and couldn't find anything else if you don't offer some kind of explanation. I would simply say that you were off due to family commitments, which could be having a kid or taking care of a parent, or lots of other things. We would not question it further, though some might. If the second language is helpful to the position, mention that while off you attended the language school. The bigest perceived "weakness" with that long a break is that you may not have kept up with modern technology. If the position requires use of Office products such as Word, Excel, and Outlook then make sure you get some refreshers on the latest versions and mention that you can use them.

Old 06-13-2013, 05:21 PM

4,286 posts, read 10,764,282 times
I would just say you were at home with your kids while they were little and not in school yet. Nothing wrong with that.

I would give you the same advise regardless, but in the education field its a no brainer

Old 06-13-2013, 07:24 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,041,398 times
I would be very clear about how you spent the last 4 years. If you are filling out an online application, put start and end dates and list the employer as "raising children". Yes, absolutely address this in your cover letter. Be clear that your plan was to stay home until your children were school age, they now are, and you are re entering the workforce.

This is much better than leaving a 4 year mystery gap.

Old 01-26-2014, 08:52 AM

1,248 posts, read 4,056,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I would be very clear about how you spent the last 4 years. If you are filling out an online application, put start and end dates and list the employer as "raising children". Yes, absolutely address this in your cover letter. Be clear that your plan was to stay home until your children were school age, they now are, and you are re entering the workforce.

This is much better than leaving a 4 year mystery gap.
It isn't what you say. It is whether it is believed and still there will be that nagging suspicion

Old 01-26-2014, 09:29 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,680,954 times
Of course it is their business why an applicant has a very large employment gap which is why you have to explain it and in a positive light. It's still pretty legitimate to be a stay at home mother. You just have to be assertive about explaining that was your priority at the time, you didn't want to try to juggle a job with very young children but now are in a position to devote your time to your career. Don't act like you're making some excuse to cover up something that you aren't. Getting back into your career is what you're doing now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search