Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 09:14 PM

14 posts, read 116,263 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I recently interviewed for a job at a nonprofit within a university on Friday. The interview went really well, both my interviewers responded to my thank you emails and one even said "we hope to be in touch very soon." On Monday, I find out that they had started calling my references, saying that they were seriously considering me and were very excited about me. But as of today, I haven't received an offer.

Is it possible that they checked my references but don't plan on hiring me? Why is this taking so long? Should I email them again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 09:16 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,124,133 times

Old 06-12-2013, 09:16 PM

8,270 posts, read 8,648,895 times
I wouldn't email again. 3 business days isn't long.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:18 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,392,410 times
Why have you decided it is taking a long time?

Old 06-12-2013, 09:24 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,672,215 times
it's really not that long.

employers do sometimes check the references of more than one candidate. i've had my references checked and not gotten jobs (and i know it wasn't because of the references). but it's only been a couple of days. just give it time. if they do want to hire you, they may be doing things on their end to get the offer approved. the most you can achieve by calling is finding out a little bit earlier that you've been rejected - if they want to hire you they won't tell you anything til they're ready. and pestering them could affect your candidacy in a negative way.

remember, time moves a LOT slower on your end than it does on theirs!

Old 06-12-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
Why have you decided it is taking a long time?
Well, I know it's not a long time. But the last time someone checked my references, they offered me the job on the same day. This is a relatively small nonprofit (granted within a larger university), so I figure that if they like me, and my references check out (which they should), then I should've received an offer a day or so after.

Mostly, I'm just anxious and sick of the job hunt and would like some peace of mind. I feel like I'm so close with getting an offer from this place and the more time passes, the more I feel it slipping away.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post

remember, time moves a LOT slower on your end than it does on theirs!
Thanks - this is definitely something that is hard to keep in mind!

Old 06-12-2013, 09:31 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,333,911 times
Three days isn't all that long, even though I am sure it feels like an eternity. For my current job, I interviewed on the 4th of the month, found out they were checking my references three days later on the 7th, and didn't get the call offering me the position until the 20th.

Some employers, even small ones, take a long time to process paperwork, figure out budgets, convince the higher-ups that you're the right choice and otherwise jump through all the hoops. It's hard to be left on tenterhooks that way, but look at it as an opportunity to practice patience. That's something we all need more of, after all.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:58 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,835,280 times
Sometimes the person doing the interviewing may like someone but still has to get approval from someone above them. These things take time. My Son is hiring a new maintenance man and found one he likes, but he has to get approval from the board of directors and getting them all together is taking time. Could be the case with your situation too.

Don

Old 06-13-2013, 09:07 AM

23,524 posts, read 24,006,421 times
The fact that they are checking references is a good sign. Wait, at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search