Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 08:47 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,476,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
There can be a downside. I have seen some awful thank you notes.
Please expound what made them awful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 08:59 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,671,598 times
i mentioned before that a woman who applied for a nursing position where i work sent a really weird thank you card. she mentioned that she saved a guy's life on the plane on the way to pittsburgh and that he said god must have sent her on this trip to save him. and that she thought this was a sign that god wanted her to have this job, basically.

so.... don't write something like that. just use common sense, really. hnsq DID say that there's no down side to a "a well-thought out well-written thank you note", not just any old thank you note. i agree with that.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:06 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,000,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
There can be a downside. I have seen some awful thank you notes.

And what do those look like?

Old 06-26-2013, 09:12 PM

805 posts, read 1,161,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
And what do those look like?
I assume something like what groar mentioned or thank you letters with spelling or grammatical errors or addressed to the wrong individual. I once sent a thank you letter that inadvertently misstated something the interviewer mentioned and that may have prevented me from getting the job.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:26 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,476,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
i mentioned before that a woman who applied for a nursing position where i work sent a really weird thank you card. she mentioned that she saved a guy's life on the plane on the way to pittsburgh and that he said god must have sent her on this trip to save him. and that she thought this was a sign that god wanted her to have this job, basically.

so.... don't write something like that. just use common sense, really. hnsq DID say that there's no down side to a "a well-thought out well-written thank you note", not just any old thank you note. i agree with that.
I used to just send basic thanks for taking the time look forward to the next step in the process.

Now that I studied some ideas I do the above and add in parts from the interview to show I was paying attention and close with compliments they brought up about me in interview.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:40 PM
FBJ

And the thank you letter should only be 3 sentences anyway which is short and to the point.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:47 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,132,333 times
Bad grammar, spelling, inaccurate statements about the interview.

Old 06-27-2013, 04:23 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,671,598 times
Quote:
And the thank you letter should only be 3 sentences anyway which is short and to the point.
no it shouldn't be. where do you get this stuff? it shouldn't be long and rambly, but if you're sending a 3 sentence thank you note it's not likely to be very customized or add much of anything to the interviewer's information about you, so what's the point? all it does is satisfy etiquette, which might count for something with some interviewers, but not many of them.

my limit is probably 2 shortish paragraphs - you don't want to send a novel. but these arbitrary rules are silly.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:08 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,202,574 times
Quote:
There is no downside but people shouldn't rush home and send one thinking that it helps their chances because a person knows whether they are going to hire you after you walk out the door.
It DOES help your chances with some employers. How do you not understand that? If there is no downside and there is a chance of an upside, why would you ever not send one?

Old 06-27-2013, 08:23 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
no it shouldn't be. where do you get this stuff? it shouldn't be long and rambly, but if you're sending a 3 sentence thank you note it's not likely to be very customized or add much of anything to the interviewer's information about you, so what's the point? all it does is satisfy etiquette, which might count for something with some interviewers, but not many of them.

my limit is probably 2 shortish paragraphs - you don't want to send a novel. but these arbitrary rules are silly.

TWO PARAGRAPHS??? You got to be kidding me right? Every thank you letter I sent is no more than 3 sentences which is close to a paragraph. Sound like you are sending a Post cover letter. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search