Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 09:56 PM

107 posts, read 381,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Isaak's Wicked Game View Post
Clarkesvillemom nailed it. Never burn a bridge. You never know when you might run into them again at another place. It's a small world.
These people would not recognize my face if they met me 3 days from now. This is not meaningful networking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 10:10 PM

1,100 posts, read 3,003,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Isaak's Wicked Game View Post
You do not know that at all. And I've spent a career bumping into people in northern and southern CA, and have many contacts statewide if I need a job.

Don't burn bridges.
Exactly! Also, how many times have you wanted to contact someone, but couldn't remember their phone number? It's a good thing to keep business cards. You never know when you might need them.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:54 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,007,479 times
Wow just wow.
Perhaps you can simply tear up the card right after the interviewer hands you one for a more dramatic effect.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:28 PM

29,641 posts, read 24,661,879 times
They give you the card for one reason in my estimation... Even if they don't hire you at that time, you might be thumbing through your wallet in the future and discover that card. This might compel you to give them a call to see if they are hiring. I still have business cards from interviews conducted in years past, so just my thought.

Something similar happened that led me to reapply to my current job. I was going through my e-mail one day and started deleting saved e-mails received long ago. I came across an e-mail from my current employer sent the previous year and decided to ask if they were looking to hire. Turns out they were and I got a job offer in short order.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:43 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,659,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnemployedRage View Post
Is not it ******** to give someone a card so they can send you a thank you note while you have no intention of hiring them?
As someone else said, it is just a common business courtesy. I meet a lot of people at conferences, and I exchange business cards with pretty much everyone I talk to, even if they are someone I will likely never speak with again (and there are always a few I don't want to talk to again). Its just a formality.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:49 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,622,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Wow just wow.
Perhaps you can simply tear up the card right after the interviewer hands you one for a more dramatic effect.
i'd add spitting on it and throwing it back in their face! HOW DARE THEY!!!

Old 06-21-2013, 09:11 AM

8,073 posts, read 9,994,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksvillemom View Post
it's called networking and business development. you never know when you're going to run into someone again, and you'll probably remember that person if they gave you a card, you looked at it, and your brain processed it. It's not just about THIS job at THIS time. Does this come as a surprise to you?

This ^^^.

I am old fashioned, and still keep business card files. Maybe have a few thousand cards accumulated over a career.

You never know when you will have a need, or cross paths with, or be asked a question about, someone that you have met along the path of life. I don't speak with people for years, but have a need to contact them, and it is nice to have their contact information. You'd be surprised how decent the majority of people are when you contact them for a legitimate reason, even if your original contact was during an interview where you didn't hire them, or they didn't hire you.

People are people. Social media has tried to drive a wedge between real feelings and thoughts, but in the end, our biology is such that we generally like to interact, be recognized, and have human contact with the rest of our specie.

Having a business card with contact information is a way to bridge that gap.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:18 AM

3,025 posts, read 4,973,509 times
Is there anything people won't complain about?

Old 06-21-2013, 09:19 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,158,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnemployedRage View Post
These people would not recognize my face if they met me 3 days from now. This is not meaningful networking.
...it absolutely is meaningful networking. Good networking is about building a large system of loose acquaintances. It isn't about making very, very close friends. If you were given a business card, write the day/place you met the person on the back of it. Three years from now you have every right to call that person out of the blue and say "Hey Mr. xxx, my name is xxx, we spoke a few years ago in your office in the middle of June. I was wondering if you had a few minutes to talk?"

That person will give you time to talk 99% of the time. How is that anything but great networking?

Old 06-21-2013, 09:20 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,357,228 times
Usually when I am handed a card, I am also given the chance to call or email if I have any further questions.

I used them to send my thank you email to the interviewer. Its helpful if you interview with several different people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search