Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 01:24 PM

11 posts, read 25,420 times

Advertisements

My brother has a disability, he has a colostomy bag, which means he gets 25,000 a year for college, and his 700 a months in SSI, he pays 250 rent here, so he's set.

I really don't even know how to get started to apply for loans and grants, and college was never really something on my radar. It's one of those things that screams misery and not-for-me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 01:33 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,426,125 times
You know how to use a computer. If you really wanted to go to college, you could google College Loans and Grants.

I agree that college isnt for a lot of people. And some people say that when they're 18 but decide, later on, (as did my daughter and grandson) that they want a degree to improve their career choices.

Google is also your friend when searching for job ideas. I understand asking for advice on a forum -- but only you know enough about yourself to assess what career path you should take.

And, FYI: Your brother isnt really "set". $700/month in SSI isnt enough for him to live on his own. (And, to be honest, I dont know how a colostomy qualifies someone for disability payments indefinitely -- but that's not my concern.) I hope you'll set your sights higher than that.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:35 PM

973 posts, read 1,452,873 times
OK, I think I found something for you. Check out the PDF at this link. Pay close attention to the next to the last page. It is about Housing Options in the North Dakota Oilfields.

Note: I do not know how up to date this info is... but it is a start point.

http://www.jobsnd.com/sites/default/...Employment.pdf

I even bookmarked it for myself if things do not turn around here for me. I would have to leave my family to go Mancamping (uggg) but if it can get me a job and verifyable welding experience, I might just do it then get my family up later.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:44 PM

BP72, that link is very informational. But be sure to check out Pennsylvania too. PA and ND are the two hot spots for drilling. PA may offer better security, as those wells tend to produce forever.

Edited to add this link for Pennsylvania oilfield jobs. There are many more such links:

http://oil-and-gas.jobs.net/jobs/pennsylvania.aspx

Old 06-21-2013, 01:51 PM

973 posts, read 1,452,873 times
I thank you for that like TFW. Trying to plan options right now. It is plain dead around here for Trades right now.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:00 PM

You sound like a good guy. BP72, and I wish you luck in making a change -- if that's what you choose to do.

I was lucky enough to fall into oil/gas as a career 45 years ago and, although I worked inside, I had regular contact with the field guys. The oilfield can be a good career for the right people -- those who are willing to work hard and learn as much as they can. Some, especially the younger ones (who dont last long), can be rather rowdy -- but the long-timers are hard-working, decent family guys.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:01 PM

249 posts, read 424,728 times
Kris, you have my sympathies. Even if your parents let you hang around for, say, six months after you turn 18, you'd be in a much better position. Right now, as a 17-year-old minor, I don't think you can even sign a contract to rent an apartment without an adult's signature. If you were even a day over 18 you would probably make the jump. Society simply isn't set up for minors to live on their own anymore.

What are your high school friends doing after graduation? Anyone moving to a big city whom you could room with? If you live in the suburbs some places won't even look at you if you don't have a car, even if you live within walking distance of their place of business. It's discriminatory, but you've got to keep food on your plate while you fight that, so your best bet is to get to a city where people take the train/bus and you'll have a lot more job opportunities.

I was lucky enough to go off to college at 17 and spent the summers at home until I graduated. Not until I was 21 did my parents do what yours are doing, and I was able to search for a job and get hired while still living at home. Don't they see what kind of trouble they're putting you in if they kick you out on your 18th birthday with no job and no home? Tell them you'll pay rent for even a month or two until you can get set up on your own. Or ask them to co-sign an apartment lease for you. As it is, they're putting you ni a very bad spot. Maybe their generation could have swung it, but these days?

Let us know what happens!

Old 06-21-2013, 02:07 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,894,483 times
Not having a driver's license is a huge obstacle. Can you maybe tell your parents that you definitely agree to their terms, and plan to be out before you turn 18, but ask that while you're still there, they enable you to get your driver's license?
Even if that means just borrowing the car to practice and take the test in.
Remind them that having your license will make it much easier for you to get a job and move out, and you want to abide by their wishes and move out, without this obstacle in front of you.
Right now, without knowing more, it looks like they're setting up a catch-22: You have to move out and support yourself, but we're going to prevent you from being able to get a driver's license, which is necessary for being independent and supporting yourself--not just for transportation purposes but for ID purposes.
To be hired for an "on the books" job, the employer and you have to complete an I-9, which requires several forms of ID, including a driver's license.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:11 PM

2,528 posts, read 1,656,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
not just for transportation purposes but for ID purposes.
To be hired for an "on the books" job, the employer and you have to complete an I-9, which requires several forms of ID, including a driver's license.
You can get non driving id.
http://www.dmv.com/fl/florida/apply-id-card

Old 06-21-2013, 02:14 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,894,483 times
I know, but he's going to need an actual driver's license in order to get to a job, whether at home or in a new place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search