Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 06:05 PM

1,458 posts, read 2,657,533 times

Advertisements

KrisCos, if you really want to join the military, you can drop the weight. How far over are you?

1300 calories a day for a couple of months will take 15lbs or so off most overweight women.

I do think that you are making a mistake totally dismissing trade school. It has nothing to do with being highfalutin or hustle and bustle - it is a couple of years additional work to elevate your standard of living for the rest of your life. A lot of those schools are community college and you would be eligible for state and federal grants and loans. In 2 years, you'll have some actual qualifications, instead of being exactly where you are now.

Aside from that, you do need to start researching which towns have strong public transportation, but do not have sky high rents. Living within a few blocks of a rail line makes a huge difference in being able to make it without a car, and not subject to the frequent lateness of buses.

Job Corps and similar programs should be looked at. There are some states with training for Women in Trades. You are going to have to dig for specific things, rather than a generic "what can I do."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 06:25 PM

2,528 posts, read 1,656,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post

Aside from that, you do need to start researching which towns have strong public transportation, but do not have sky high rents.
It's a tough one

Old 06-21-2013, 07:54 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,903,046 times
Do not join the military! Go to Alaska, go to the oil fields. Anything but the military unless you really have an intrest

Old 06-21-2013, 09:34 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,903,046 times
The 20 Best Cities in America to be Young, Broke and Single - Money Under 30

Old 06-21-2013, 09:57 PM

29,795 posts, read 24,880,628 times
I moved out at 18, although it was my choice. See if you can find any jobs in a trade of your choice. Many companies will hire apprentices to do crap work, but it pays better than Walmart and offers better long term prospects. You're definitely going to need that license though. Sounds like they are really putting you in an awful position here... Where you some kind of trouble maker? Is there a reason they are doing this to you? Do you have any family or friends you can live with short term until you get on your feet? I can't imagine why they are booting you out unless you've caused them much grief.

Florida is a really crappy place to work in from what I have read. Low pay and not the best job prospects. The only advantage is you can pretty much live on the beach as a last resort.

Old 06-22-2013, 05:15 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,701,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisCros View Post
I've already attempted to make such an arrangement with them. They have declined my offer due to the fact I haven't found a job yet, and they don't believe I will in our area (there is nothing within biking distance here that I haven't applied to, I either don't meet age requirement, or they don't want to hire me. Lack of references is killing me in this.).

My brother is supposed to be leaving for community college in August(?)ish, that is the only reason they even tolerate him, if he isn't gone, I am sure they will treat him the same. The problem is I have 0 plans on what to do now that I've graduated, and they aren't okay with that. My mom has said that it will be better to boot me on my own and make me figure it out, instead of what they did with my brother by letting him come back and over-stay his welcome.
Thats really horrible and im sorry you have to go through that. I had to go throught tbe same thing when i was younger, but i had a relative help me out. Without that, i echo the sentiments of some of the other pkster here and think you should talk to a recruiter. Its ok that you are here on this earth, but people like your parents shouldnt be.

Old 06-22-2013, 05:50 AM

1,844 posts, read 2,422,810 times
Default And you came by this wisdom how?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksvillemom View Post
Do not join the military! Go to Alaska, go to the oil fields. Anything but the military unless you really have an intrest
You utter this platitude from the comfort of your living room sofa, likely with a full refrigerator and a bag of chips at the ready. Look: unless you are willing to put your money where your (big) mouth is - that is, offer the OP three hots and a cot - do not disparage ANY option she may have. There was an article in the Washington Post recently about homeless kids in Fairfax County. One of them graduated HS with a lot of sleeping in cars, and joined the Marines immediately because he would have three hots and a cot.

Not to put too fine a point on it, step up to the plate and offer what is needed, or shut your pie hole.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:03 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,709,844 times
You can try Americorps or some other volunteer position that includes housing an a stipend to gain some experience.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:12 AM

1,844 posts, read 2,422,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisCros View Post
College just isn't for me. The simple ways of living life make me happy, and the 'hustle-bustle' and have to get a degree to be "successful" and the "misery before happiness" associated with todays world, it just isn't for me...

I need a job thats enjoyable by my simplicity standard, that pays enough for the basics to make me happy.
Kris, the military offers precisely that. You'll drop the weight soon enough once you have nothing to eat, so don't complain about diet. Meanwhile, start babysitting for cash (like your parents, most people don't stop to think about how inconvenient kids are before having them) and don't spend a dime.

Labor Ready is an option for day labor: you'll get paid daily at min wage, which is more than you have now. You have five months to drop the weight (don't whine about it - being fat with no skills adds to your burden), and save up enough for a car to sleep in.

Get your ID. Get an off books job like babysitting or go door to door in the wealthy neighborhood offering your services in housecleaning or dog walking. Take care of your bike till you get enough cash for a used car. Without your bike, you are reduced to panhandling or turning tricks. In both occupations, you are disadvantaged by being fat. Join a church, PRONTO. Strangers in a church community will take care of you better than your parents have done. Get your head together, girl! You are looking at a survival situation.

In five months, we will be at the beginning of winter. Thank heavens at least the cold won't kill you.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:05 AM

2,615 posts, read 3,144,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
If he has a transportation to the job (bus, train etc) and the job does not require driving, why would he need a DL?
In most states, a driver's license is considered the most basic ID and anyone without one faces many additional questions and suspicions. Many jobs require a DL.

Unless we are missing something, these parents are going way overboard in preparing to kick him out and not even help him get the DL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search