Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2013, 07:20 PM

2,091 posts, read 7,513,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
well I guess we will just have to agree to disagree because no typing should be involved when applying for a dish washing job.

No, no one has to agree to disagree. We can just disagree. In this day and age a person is sorely lacking in skill if they do not know how to access the internet and fill out an app. If they don't know how, they "should" learn. They do not need to own a computer for this. As mentioned there are places one can go and do it for free, and even be taught how.

Presumably you "should" be one of the people aiding job seekers in this regard, in the course of your job.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:24 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,989,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
OP, it is not a surprise at all. I am still looking for summer work, in my quest for work till school comes back, I filled out an ONLINE application for a dishwashing position at Boston market and AMC theatre. Neither has yet to call back, yes I did follow up- they say they are not hiring though the website clearly states that they "are hiring".

In this economy applying online for a dishwashing position is not surprising, I figure it is par for the course.

Wow, so you went through all that BS and the job posting you saw was fake? Ridiculous

Old 06-26-2013, 07:26 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,989,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wireyourworld View Post
No, no one has to agree to disagree. We can just disagree. In this day and age a person is sorely lacking in skill if they do not know how to access the internet and fill out an app. If they don't know how, they "should" learn. They do not need to own a computer for this. As mentioned there are places one can go and do it for free, and even be taught how.

Presumably you "should" be one of the people aiding job seekers in this regard, in the course of your job.

They are in computer class from 9am to 3pm everyday but most of the men are frustrated by the process for a job like dishwasher when it was so simple in the past

Old 06-26-2013, 07:31 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,604,861 times
Quote:
Wow, so you went through all that BS and the job posting you saw was fake? Ridiculous
Yup it seems to be a recurring trend. Staples, Sports Authority, Dominoes etc... you call them up, check their website- they say they are hiring, you apply , they never call and a week later they are "still hiring".

I don't know if the job posting is fake or they simply take their dear sweet time in contacting candidates and I do hope it is the latter rather than the former. Or perhaps they are no longer hiring but out of laziness fail to take off job posting on their website-and really why do you do that? is the amount of effort of removing a job posting off the website so great?

Old 06-26-2013, 07:32 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,736,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
Yup it seems to be a recurring trend. Staples, Sports Authority, Dominoes etc... you call them up, check their website- they say they are hiring, you apply , they never call and a week later they are "still hiring".

I don't know if the job posting is fake or they simply take their dear sweet time in contacting candidates and I do hope it is the latter rather than the former. Or perhaps they are no longer hiring but out of laziness fail to take off job posting on their website-and really why do you do that? is the amount of effort of removing a job posting off the website so great?
It's partially for EEOC requirements as well.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:51 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,877,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
It's partially for EEOC requirements as well.
That and companies being pressured by HR to post internal jobs externally for community goodwill.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:58 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,981,856 times
Quote:
Don't hate me just be cool with me
No hate involved. Just confusion.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:02 PM

503 posts, read 1,171,859 times
I just remembered, more fodder for the derail fire:

My previous employer was impressed by a 7-page résumé from a girl who only worked in retail. He stressed how impressive a 7-page résumé was during my interview. I tried not to laugh. Ultimately he hired her instead of promoting me (I was #2) because she had a few more years as a sales associate over me.

7 page résumé and 4-5 years of retail? Hmmm. I thought employers tossed anything more than 1 page.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:11 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,877,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForkInTheRoad View Post
I just remembered, more fodder for the derail fire:

My previous employer was impressed by a 7-page résumé from a girl who only worked in retail. He stressed how impressive a 7-page résumé was during my interview. I tried not to laugh. Ultimately he hired her instead of promoting me (I was #2) because she had a few more years as a sales associate over me.

7 page résumé and 4-5 years of retail? Hmmm. I thought employers tossed anything more than 1 page.
I guess the job search isn't as one sized fits all as academia makes it out to be...

Old 06-26-2013, 08:12 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,668,801 times
this thread keeps reminding me of this dude:

Dishwasher Pete - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(he knows how to use a computer).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search