Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2013, 08:16 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,737,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I guess the job search isn't as one sized fits all as academia makes it out to be...
It never was, despite what the so-called HR Gurus on this forum try to tell you.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:19 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,669,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForkInTheRoad View Post
I just remembered, more fodder for the derail fire:

My previous employer was impressed by a 7-page résumé from a girl who only worked in retail. He stressed how impressive a 7-page résumé was during my interview. I tried not to laugh. Ultimately he hired her instead of promoting me (I was #2) because she had a few more years as a sales associate over me.

7 page résumé and 4-5 years of retail? Hmmm. I thought employers tossed anything more than 1 page.
2 pages is generally considered acceptable now (if you have information of substance to fill it with), but obviously hiring managers are humans and different ones prefer different things. a manager who thinks a 7-page resume is great (unless it's an academic cv or something like that) is a rare breed, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I guess the job search isn't as one sized fits all as academia makes it out to be...
there are no hard and fast rules for job searching because of the whole pesky "humans" thing that i mentioned above. but there are a few conventions that are close to universal, and there are things you can do so you appeal to good managers and not just any old manager.

i'm definitely suspicious of anyone who acts as if there are no exceptions to their jobhunting rules. you can ALWAYS find an exception.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:32 PM

501 posts, read 800,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
I agree that that's inappropriate and should probably be illegal. It already is in a handful of states.

It's also a separate topic.
Apparently it is not illegal as many companies are doing this and the reasoning for doing so is gauging to see what kind of employee the candidate is going to be, I do not agree with it but I digress. It is not a separate topic as the previous comment I was replying to referred to the money Target "wastes" on fielding candidates for a low level job and I was adding on to it with an additional criteria being used to reject applicants.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:40 PM

501 posts, read 800,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
If you know how to use a computer why were you applying for housekeeping and dish washing jobs since you could look into customer service or clerical jobs.
I have applied to those also and still do, but eventually you get tired of the form rejection letters and bills are piling up. So I have long stopped selectively applying to jobs and am open to whatever will accept me.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:06 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,837,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Some people who have expressed interest in dishwashing jobs and some of the ads I have come across requires you to complete a online application??? I mean someone who has a interest in being a dishwasher probably wouldn't have a computer at home or computer experience so to fill out a online application is beyond nuts.

clerical or customer service I can see but a job that does not require the use of a computer?? Now I can see how someone can turn to illegal ways of making money because for a dishwasher job you should just be able to fax a resume. You definitely didn't see ads like this in 1999.
I thought you had a job? just wondering why you are looking....and where you find the time to post so much.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:16 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,920,039 times
When I worked for a big box retailer nearly all the employees were stealing (even some of the managers!) When you make a non livable wage that's the name of the game.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:07 AM

827 posts, read 1,089,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
When I worked for a big box retailer nearly all the employees were stealing (even some of the managers!) When you make a non livable wage that's the name of the game.
Good to know you have no morals.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:20 AM

2,569 posts, read 7,740,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wireyourworld View Post
And there are plenty of high school kids, and 20 somethings who will wash dishes. And know how to operate a computer. Better restaurants often start new employees there, before they move on to cook, or waiter. And yes I know a person who did this.
I did not read the 13 pages of this thread.

I am 41 with a computer and internet and plenty of other experience, and I'd wash dishes for 2 reasons:

1. It is most likely to be a job where I could choose a shift that fits with my school schedule as I am a full time student. I need evenings and weekend work. Sure, I qualify for higher paid office work but generally that kind of work is only available 8 to 5 and that does not currently fit my employment needs.

2. I would much rather wash dishes, a relatively "solo" sort of task, than work in the front of a restaurant having to deal with customers! ::shudder:: Last thing I want is to move on to cook, waiter, etc. Yuck. I want a job where I can quietly do my job, focus on the task, and be pretty much left alone. When I worked in places with heavy customer contact and dishes needed washing I always volunteered!

I don't quite get dishwashing jobs requiring a year of experience though.

Last edited by Sally_Sparrow; 06-27-2013 at 06:29 AM..

Old 06-27-2013, 07:19 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
Yup it seems to be a recurring trend. Staples, Sports Authority, Dominoes etc... you call them up, check their website- they say they are hiring, you apply , they never call and a week later they are "still hiring".

I don't know if the job posting is fake or they simply take their dear sweet time in contacting candidates and I do hope it is the latter rather than the former. Or perhaps they are no longer hiring but out of laziness fail to take off job posting on their website-and really why do you do that? is the amount of effort of removing a job posting off the website so great?

Than I would be a little "pushy" and put on a pair of khakis and a nice shirt and go into these places, you ask to speak to a manager and go during times when the store isn't too busy. If they say you must apply online, tell them you did already and are following up.

You don't call them up, that is being lazy and might be why you're not getting anywhere.

You said you're looking for a summer job, well next week is the 4th of July. The summer will be over if you don't try a different approach.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:39 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
I thought you had a job? just wondering why you are looking....and where you find the time to post so much.

I'm obviously looking for other people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search