Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2013, 11:47 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,781,638 times

Advertisements

I am just absolutely stunned you have to complete a online application for a "dishawsher position"

The hiring manager probably got a hundred or more applications for each position.

Something wrong with his doing a little screening in advance, to find out which applicants had the interest and motivation to possibly move up out of that job later... such as applicants who went (for free) to the local library, were smart enough to use the typing skills they learned (for free) in high school, and filled out the application (for free) on the library's computer?

If you're absolutely stunned, it's usually because you haven't been paying attention or thinking.

Old 06-29-2013, 07:22 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
Do all or most employers require a online application ?
No there are plenty of organizations that only require a resume by email, mail, or fax

Old 06-29-2013, 10:15 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
No there are plenty of organizations that only require a resume by email, mail, or fax
Funny, I honestly do not see many. That or it is a locational and my area is more prone to the online applications than e-mail resume...

Old 06-29-2013, 10:19 AM

2,734 posts, read 4,150,019 times
Quote:
Some people who have expressed interest in dishwashing jobs and some of the ads I have come across requires you to complete a online application??? I mean someone who has a interest in being a dishwasher probably wouldn't have a computer at home or computer experience so to fill out a online application is beyond nuts.

clerical or customer service I can see but a job that does not require the use of a computer?? Now I can see how someone can turn to illegal ways of making money because for a dishwasher job you should just be able to fax a resume. You definitely didn't see ads like this in 1999.
Quite frankly, if someone doesn't know how to use a computer in 2013, they need to get with the times.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:20 AM

2,609 posts, read 4,360,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Funny, I honestly do not see many. That or it is a locational and my area is more prone to the online applications than e-mail resume...
I think a lot depends on the size of the company. Where I live the larger companies do most everything online, the federal government even has a way for you to do I-9's online.

The smaller locally owned companies still do paper applications, but even they seem to be moving towards online applications.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:36 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
There aren't many jobs, in general, that allow for little interaction.
Quote:
What about telemarketing? I think that would be a good option which stregthens marketing skills and present the chance for bonuses
???

Old 06-29-2013, 10:37 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
From what the OP has said about his occupation, he's likely not dealing with companies in the highest ranks when seeking opportunities for his "clients" so probably sees things and forms his views from a very narrow perspective. Your local hole in the wall diner will go with a sign on the door for a dishwashing vacancy and at best an emailed, snail-mailed or 'faxed application, while a larger or chain establishment, hotel or resort will go with online applications as do most larger enterprises. 'Fax machines are quickly becoming as obsolete as typewriters.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:39 AM

2,734 posts, read 4,150,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
From what the OP has said about his occupation, he's likely not dealing with companies in the highest ranks when seeking opportunities for his "clients" so probably sees things and forms his views from a very narrow perspective. Your local hole in the wall diner will go with a sign on the door for a dishwashing vacancy and at best an emailed, snail-mailed or 'faxed application, while a larger or chain establishment, hotel or resort will go with online applications as do most larger enterprises. 'Fax machines are quickly becoming as obsolete as typewriters.
The few times I faxed something in the last few years was through fax software on my computer.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:50 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,672,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
???
seriously, and the man is an employment counselor. scary.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:58 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,740,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post
Quite frankly, if someone doesn't know how to use a computer in 2013, they need to get with the times.
There are older folks who don't know how to use a computer.

Granted, they don't need to know. Most of them are already comfortably retired and paid their dues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search