Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2013, 03:42 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I'm not sure that this observation is even on topic where this thread is concerned but I feel compelled to respond. How old are "older folks" to you? Why do these "older folks" not need to know (and I'm not even going to comment on the "granted" bit)? Of what relevance is your estimation that, "Most of them are already comfortably retired and paid their dues."?

I'm 67 years old and I don't know anyone around my age who doesn't know how to use a computer and log onto the internet. I do know a few people in their 80's who have a little bit of difficulty but even they can deal with email and internet.

Comfortably retired and paid their dues? What the fudge does that mean?

I can only assume from your coming out with this sort of nonsense is that you're a rather pompous and entitled youngster with not much real knowledge. Hang in there with TVSG. His 38 year old wisdom will lead you far not.
Lol. Lol

Old 06-29-2013, 09:36 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,740,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
This seems to be close to my experiences. My old boss was a biologist and he just struggled with how everything was done now. He is a great biologist and super nice guy, but for the first 15-20 years he did his job he didn't have to use a computer.

My moms career doesn't require the use of a computer so she has never really picked up how to use one beyond basic functions.

My grandparents don't even own computers though lol.
I have noticed that many of my professors are almost computer illiterate. They have TAs do "all that" for them. The only exception was my Technical Writing professor who knew her stuff. This has been true for professors I've encountered across a wide age range (40 somethings to 70 somethings).

I am 41 and I had my first computer at age 17. It had a tape cassette backup thing. I was "online" as early as 1990 because I was dating a systems analyst and had my own computer at home in 1993, and used AOL via dial-up, because a friend of the family with $$ gave me a computer. I don't think my experience was the norm for most people in my age group though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForkInTheRoad View Post
Not everybody is sitting on a fat retirement package. Not a single person in my family has a survivable "retirement." My parents are close to "retirement age." My father will be working until death and if my mother's health keeps declining she won't be able to keep her job and won't get health insurance in retirement (and cancer is rampant in her family.)
Yep, my mom (just turned 71) worked non-stop from the time my parents divorced when I was 7, and she quit working full time when she needed to care for my Grandma full time, which ended up being a decade long commitment. The only reason she manages on social security is because she kept the house I grew up in (which she got in the divorce) and uses it for a bit of rental income, and she inherited my Grandma's (paid for) mobile home so she has that to live in. People who worked their entire lives in "jobs" vs "careers" with middle class salaries and retirement plans are way more likely to struggle.

Old 06-30-2013, 07:02 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,236,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Some people who have expressed interest in dishwashing jobs and some of the ads I have come across requires you to complete a online application??? I mean someone who has a interest in being a dishwasher probably wouldn't have a computer at home or computer experience so to fill out a online application is beyond nuts.

clerical or customer service I can see but a job that does not require the use of a computer?? Now I can see how someone can turn to illegal ways of making money because for a dishwasher job you should just be able to fax a resume. You definitely didn't see ads like this in 1999.
I love it. No doubt you have to write an essay and talk a lot of BS about how you have a "passion" for dishwashing or "food service sterilization technology" or whatever they call it.

Old 06-30-2013, 07:14 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,135,397 times
It is ridiculous. I am struggling. I have attempted to work at restaurants and they ask for resume. I grudgingly giveto the employer explaining my background is not in this line of work, but I am willing to work here and will do well. They laugh and say you must be experienced. Well I washed dishes in the 80's when I was 17. They say no. Then I get offwered jobs at a supermarket for 20 hrs at $8 an hr. This will not do me any good and I had to decline. That job I also had to submit a resume and be asked dumb questions at interview. Things are out of control! Give me a goddam job!

Old 06-30-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by high iron View Post
I love it. No doubt you have to write an essay and talk a lot of BS about how you have a "passion" for dishwashing or "food service sterilization technology" or whatever they call it.

I hope that is not true and hopes no one writes a cover letter for a dishwasher job

Old 06-30-2013, 09:58 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,814,161 times
Some say there is no shame in work...any kind of work. I beg to differ. No self respecting person is going to wash dishes for minimum wage these days...So shut up and let the illegals clean your plate.

Old 06-30-2013, 11:25 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
I sympathize with the OP. However, the reason employers require an online application process is very simple:

They do it because they can do it.

This is a tough job market folks and nothing any of us say here is going to change that fact. The best advice that I could give anyone looking for work is that you are going to have to adapt to the realities of the 21st Century.

I personally think that many people are over qualified for the positions that are available in today's economy, but what can I do about it? Really, there is very little I can do, other than sympathize

As an employer, if I advertise a secretarial position that is part time and pays a couple of dollars an hour more than minimum wage, I'll have a minimum of 25 to 40 applicants for that position. I find it such a nuisance to sift through this many applicants that sometimes, I just hire someone who is a friend of another one of my employees. I have found this is generally an effective way to get a good employee and it sure eliminates a lot of BS involved in the hiring process. I have hired through the student office of a local community college and I have found the pool of applicants I get this way is generally closer to what I need than at the local Work Force Services office. The student applicants are often a bit brighter, more energetic, and more motivated. I don't require an online application process, but I do see where it would be more efficient. There are also issues with people coming into the office that are not desirable and the online application process would avoid that occurrence.

Its tough for employees. I hope it gets better in a couple of years.

Old 06-30-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I sympathize with the OP. However, the reason employers require an online application process is very simple:

They do it because they can do it.

This is a tough job market folks and nothing any of us say here is going to change that fact. The best advice that I could give anyone looking for work is that you are going to have to adapt to the realities of the 21st Century.

I personally think that many people are over qualified for the positions that are available in today's economy, but what can I do about it? Really, there is very little I can do, other than sympathize

As an employer, if I advertise a secretarial position that is part time and pays a couple of dollars an hour more than minimum wage, I'll have a minimum of 25 to 40 applicants for that position. I find it such a nuisance to sift through this many applicants that sometimes, I just hire someone who is a friend of another one of my employees. I have found this is generally an effective way to get a good employee and it sure eliminates a lot of BS involved in the hiring process. I have hired through the student office of a local community college and I have found the pool of applicants I get this way is generally closer to what I need than at the local Work Force Services office. The student applicants are often a bit brighter, more energetic, and more motivated. I don't require an online application process, but I do see where it would be more efficient. There are also issues with people coming into the office that are not desirable and the online application process would avoid that occurrence.

Its tough for employees. I hope it gets better in a couple of years.

So the online application is probably there to slow down the applicants.

Old 06-30-2013, 12:18 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
So the online application is probably there to slow down the applicants.
Yeah and make it long, redundant while we are at it.

Old 06-30-2013, 12:27 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,740,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Some say there is no shame in work...any kind of work. I beg to differ. No self respecting person is going to wash dishes for minimum wage these days...So shut up and let the illegals clean your plate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search