Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2013, 07:37 AM

1,102 posts, read 1,860,305 times

Advertisements

shoulda woulda coulda!

Old 07-01-2013, 07:45 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
But a person who only qualifies for a job like that won't have internet access or knowledge of how to complete a online application.
Says who? I graduated from high school in the 90's and knew how to use a computer. We didn't have the internet yet. A few years later while I was in college, the internet arrived at my college. So for over 20 years I've known how to use the internet and for well over 30 years I've been using computers!

You can also go to your local library for computer help and free access to computers. Can't get to the library? Then how can you get to a job?

This just sounds like an excuse for not working to me.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:50 AM

501 posts, read 801,151 times
Quote:
I had experience in those push come to shove jobs so I would always get a call back if I applied.

I would get call backs 75% of the time because I only apply to jobs I have experience in not just randomly applying to any job
I have experience in those job fields as well, that is what my resume is targeted for and that is all I have been applying for. Therefore I am not sure where or why you believe that those who are not getting called back are just randomly applying; those are my primary fields. I'll just chalk it up to the economy being better where you are as opposed to Atlanta even though it seems people are making mass exoduses from up north (NYC, NJ, MD, etc) to come here without jobs and with the knowledge the unemployment rate is high.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

They have the cameras to review the tapes. If they suspect an employee is stealing they will get caught. They don't have to see it live if it is an employee. The reason they focus on store floor is they have to get the shoplifter at that moment, an employee who is stealing can be confronted after the fact.
Actually, most of the time they are NOT recording. It's only when something is going on then they actually record. Same with banks. How do I know? Work in retail long enough and you learn a lot.

Proving an employee is a thief is VERY hard unless they're on a register and it's seriously short repeatedly.

Most of those fancy cameras you see aren't being monitored most of the time. If stores have security, it's one guy. he works 40 hours a week. Don't forget he gets sick and has vacation. Stores are also open more than 40 hours a week. The poor guy gets lunch as well. One the massive big box stores even have security guys. Most stores just have the cameras and most are fake or not actually doing anything. They're there to be a deterrent.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_the_facts View Post
The scary thing is that he works as an employment counselor helping other people obtain work.
Are you flipping kidding me? I've heard everything now!

Old 07-01-2013, 08:26 AM

Quote:
The Bills you are talking about can't be paid if you don't have it. They just have to get the hell in line until the money starts flowing in.
Yes, this works extraordinarily well for mortgages, rent, food, electric/gas, etc.
: smack:

Old 07-01-2013, 08:27 AM

2,569 posts, read 7,742,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpioqueen View Post
So what happens if you were unable to get hired or even an interview for that matter in your fields of choice and the money has run out and you are staring at an eviction/foreclosure notice in the dark because your electricity and water has been shut off? You mean to tell me you would pass up what is available to you because you are above it risking being homeless? Wow

I am about to get trained as a CNA, I have experience doing it and even though I do not want to wipe someone's ass for a living a check is a check.
Yeah, I don't get it either.

Being "above" any job is fine, if you are "above" eating and having a roof over your head. I don't know, maybe because my perspective is that of someone with no one else to rescue me, and someone with other people depending on me, but I've done all sorts of crap jobs. Money is money.

One year when my oldest son was quite small, I went around asking people if I could collect the pecans that had fallen in their yards from pecan trees... I went house to house doing this then gathered them all and sold them to a local pecan processing company. Almost everyone said yes; the pecans were going to sit and rot otherwise.

Another time when he was little, I worked a "dollar a dance" place. Kind of like the Tina Turner "private dancer" song and the dime a dance places of the past, but with inflation it was a dollar a dance. All I had to do was dance, nothing inappropriate or sexual about it, guys paid me a dollar to dance with them and I'd make a couple hundred bucks a night (and be extremely tired with hurting feet)...

Money is money.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:36 AM

1,102 posts, read 1,860,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Yes, this works extraordinarily well for mortgages, rent, food, electric/gas, etc.

not to mention bills for your children (if applicable)

Old 07-01-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltowngirl25 View Post

Besides it is hard work. It's not an easy job. I doubt WestPhillyDude would be able to stand on his feet for 10 minutes much less 10 hours and do what they do. Dishwashing is a lot harder than surfing the internet and finding jobs. That's really easy and anyone can do that. I was on the internet for 5 minutes and helped someone find 10 different jobs. Big deal. Do we really need government workers to do that? What a waste of taxpayer money.
I worked as a dishwasher/busser/ice cream scooper one summer in between high school and college. That was the hardest job I ever had. Standing for 12 hours in the summer with little air conditioning while open and closing a wicked hot dishwasher was no picnic. Those racks are flipping heavy when loaded up with dishes, silverware, and glasses. Those things stay HOT for a very long time. Doesn't matter. You need to get them off the racks immediately and move on.

One good thing about being the dishwasher is that you ALWAYS have something to do! Not much down time in that position.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:57 AM

Quote:
$1.36 at Kinkos
You mean FedEx? Well the closet FedEx location to me is well over an hour away. How exactly is that easier than sitting on my couch to fill ou an application?

You do realize that many people don't have a FedEx location in their backyard, neighborhood, town, or even county, right? And, no, I don't live in a corn field in the middle of Nebraska. Those in Nebraska or who live near corn fields that comment was not not meant to be a slight on you. It was just meant to show that people can live in an area without being in the middle of nowhere and still not have services.

Where I live, one of my street is in the city limits. The other end is in the town and considered rural. There isn't cable on one end of the street. Phone lines are also limited - no real high speed. My street is about a mile long. There's plenty of rural past that, but it's not 100 miles to the closest Walmart or Wegman's. Somehow people have survived here for hundreds of years - literally - without a FedEx.......somehow we'll keep chugging on I suppose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search