Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 10:45 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,570,318 times

Advertisements

I interviewed for this job almost 2 weeks ago for a company I worked for 12 years ago.

The interview went very well and last Monday I got a call from the hiring manager saying they wanted me ''on board'' and I acknowledged the same and thanks so much and so forth.

She then said I'd get a call ''tomorrow'' with a salary offer, etc.. This call coming forthwith from out of state HR directly or through her, I'd presume.

No call at all this week.

Sat waiting and now I will ''touch base'' with her again next Monday late afternoon if I don't hear from anyone.

I am just frustrated and eager. I really need to draw some money in asap. Like who doesn't, yeah I know. LOL

Ever wonder why these employers drag out the hiring process?

This isn't the longest I've had to wait, that's for sure. Guess it's the ol' ''watched pot never boils'' syndrome...

You?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 05:16 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
My spouse recently got a new job after a rather extended effort. To be fair, it was actually two sets of interviews, the first for a job that was more akin to my spouse's current employment, but toward the end of that process the employer felt that my spouse would be a better fit for movement into a new line of work, one that my spouse dabbled in in my spouse's previous job (because management there was so messed up that they failed to properly resources their project with enough, suitably qualified and experienced resources). So that extended the hiring process substantially, but even looking just at the portions of the hiring process that were relevant to the job my spouse eventually was offered, it was remarkable how many different contact points there were.

Some of it is compartmentalization: The first contact was an HR rep, just to validate the major points on the resume that reflected that which resulted in the HR manager singling out my spouse's resume from the hundreds of resumes reviewed for the position. Then there was a period of time during which, presumably, the hiring manager, and perhaps colleagues, reviewed the resume themselves, thereby validating the HR manager's determination of a match. Then, and only then, it seemed that my spouse had an interview with the HR manager (not the hiring manager). This interview focused mostly on fundamentals, work ethic and such, but did include some discussion of challenges faced during previous jobs and how they were overcome, etc. Then there was another delay, presumably while the HR manager interviewed other candidates and decided which one(s) to set up interviews with the hiring manager.

There are myriad complications that could extend the process further. For example, in this case, the decision was to have my spouse interview with a few people in the department, and then a decision was made whether to bring my spouse back in for a third time, for a few more interviews. Presumably this approach either reflects the difficulty of scheduling so many people for a sequential block of time, or a desire to keep the cost of interviewing low, in terms of interruption to people's work, by having it phased like this. Since the company isn't paying the candidate, the fact that it takes from the candidate more time, and extends the process a bit, probably doesn't matter much to them.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:59 AM

23,535 posts, read 24,029,400 times
If they verbally made that statement to you, they want you (unless something changes) and should make an offer. The types of responses that I hate after an interview are "we'll get back to you" which is usually followed by silence.

Companies have a lot of internal things going on (which an outsider is not aware of) which could slow down or hamper the hiring process.

I once had a verbal offer made (including salary commitment) which was canceled due to the hiring manager being replaced by a new hiring manager.

Good luck. Remember that an offer is not official unless it is in writing.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:06 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
At big companies, HR reps can be recruiting for dozens of jobs at the same time, some of which have higher priorities than others. Jobs are prioritized for a myriad of reasons that have nothing to do with the applicants.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:20 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,436,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
At big companies, HR reps can be recruiting for dozens of jobs at the same time, some of which have higher priorities than others. Jobs are prioritized for a myriad of reasons that have nothing to do with the applicants.
I was going to write the same thing. The hiring manager is usually a very busy person too.

Also, often it is to their advantage to wait. Maybe the longer they wait with you as an acceptable applicant leaves them more time to find an even more acceptable applicant.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:56 AM

15,797 posts, read 20,504,199 times
I've been part of the interview process as an interviewer....and agree the company's on internal on-goings drag out the process.

We might have a position open, and want to bring in 3 people to talk about it. It might take 2-4 weeks just to interview those people, and then we have meetings to discuss, and then need to get HR to send formal offer and sometimes at that point the person has found a job and we need to start over with another person.

So yeah....sometimes it can take a while even if you like the first person you see.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:55 AM

341 posts, read 675,083 times
It's just the standard smoke and mirrors to the magic show. Be prepared for that oral offer to change to something lower. They'll see how desperate you are.

I'd contact them and ask them what the status is and should you be persuing a contingency plan. Don't let them set this kind of tone with you this early.

Once you're the needy girlfriend, you'll always be stuck making sandwiches and folding the laundry until a better looker comes along.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:15 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post

And they weren't doing that in 1997? When jobs were plentiful?

Yet someone could submit a resume and get an interview in a reasonable period of time, maybe come back for a 2nd interview and than get offered a job, and get a letter in the mail with a sold written offer.

I tell you exactly what it is, it is HR people trying to justify their job but making hiring someone for a position like they're casting for Scarlett O'Hara in a remake of "Gone With the Wind"...LOL.

You don't need to interview 40 people in person for one job, you bring in 4 or 5 of the top candidates.

The bad economy has changed the game, that's all.

People were just as busy years ago.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:22 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
I suspect one reason for delays is that HR departments have been cut to the bone. Our HR manager is now also our customer contracts manager, and our office manager.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:04 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
I interviewed for this job almost 2 weeks ago for a company I worked for 12 years ago.

The interview went very well and last Monday I got a call from the hiring manager saying they wanted me ''on board'' and I acknowledged the same and thanks so much and so forth.

She then said I'd get a call ''tomorrow'' with a salary offer, etc.. This call coming forthwith from out of state HR directly or through her, I'd presume.

No call at all this week.

Sat waiting and now I will ''touch base'' with her again next Monday late afternoon if I don't hear from anyone.

I am just frustrated and eager. I really need to draw some money in asap. Like who doesn't, yeah I know. LOL

Ever wonder why these employers drag out the hiring process?

This isn't the longest I've had to wait, that's for sure. Guess it's the ol' ''watched pot never boils'' syndrome...

You?

Yeah it's frustrating when it long but I would just say turn off your phone and let it go straight to voicemail so that you won't drive yourself crazy waiting for feedback. Then you can just check the voicemail every hour to see if someone called

That's what I had to do last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search