Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 02:18 PM

341 posts, read 675,083 times

Advertisements

I'd probably focus my time on the hurdle that's right in front of you by taking a class at the junior college in French or buying Rosetta Stone or Pimsleur.

No need to get the wagon in front of the horse by looking down the track at the 8th hurdle because you're just going to get tripped up by the other 7 before you even get to the last one. Last hurdle being a job.

You apparently know your weakness and what's holding you back. Stop skirting that issue and get on with learning French.

The best part about it is, you'll learn a lot faster since you can immerse yourself in the language. Every day you get out of French class you can go out to the town and start applying what you jus learned.

Much better environment for retaining a language by learning it in a country where everyone knows it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 03:16 PM

23,538 posts, read 24,029,400 times
I have found career fairs to be nothing but a huge waste of time. Use other means to locate a job.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:40 PM

341 posts, read 675,083 times
I think in college I went to a career fair and I vaguely remember it being a huge backslapping frat party reunion for all the business owners who sit around in their groups and just challenge eachother about who the best is.

Meanwhile, the ones looking for work scramble around dropping off resumes to gatekeepers with the false belief that since they made the gatekeeper smile, they'll snag a job.

Big HJ sessions.

Old 07-07-2013, 04:41 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
You will be more productive applying for jobs on websites during the time you would have spent going there. It is a PR stunt full of HR people handing out pens and water bottles pretending to be busy and telling you to apply on their website. I even went to a professional industry specific one several years back and never went to one again. Waste of time and gas.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:03 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,232,614 times
I appreciate the responses. This is for a specific school district rather than a group of companies so I am not sure the same applies (but I don't know!). I have been studying French since 2009 and I have lived here since 2011 so I can speak conversationally, I just don't think I can express myself well enough in an interview. I am not skirting the issue, I am trying as hard as I can but there is a big difference between ordering deli meat at a counter and dealing with an angry parent at a parent-teacher meeting There is a good chance I can interview in English. I guess my worry is whether or not I would make a bad impression.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:17 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
I appreciate the responses. This is for a specific school district rather than a group of companies so I am not sure the same applies (but I don't know!). I have been studying French since 2009 and I have lived here since 2011 so I can speak conversationally, I just don't think I can express myself well enough in an interview. I am not skirting the issue, I am trying as hard as I can but there is a big difference between ordering deli meat at a counter and dealing with an angry parent at a parent-teacher meeting There is a good chance I can interview in English. I guess my worry is whether or not I would make a bad impression.
Go.

This might be your only chance for the school board to see you in person. You don' ever want to lose such opportunity. The school board might not attend the next job fair.

Old 07-08-2013, 03:07 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
How far is the fair? I know part of the problem with job fairs are the gas money to get to and from. Along with the time. Time to look up companies, print up resumes and cover letters tailored for EACH individual company based on KSAs for the jobs, get dressed up, drive to, spend at the fair and drive home. It can take a good day or two out easily for little juice from the squeeze.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:41 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times
I'd go. Unless the career fair will expend ALOT of time (e.g. traffic, far distance) and/or money (e.g. pay for parking, ALOT of gas), then you really do need to "roll the dice" to see what's out there. The fact that this is related to your field of work makes it less likely to be a bust.

For prep work, try to research some companies, but I have went into career fairs by telling them my name, what I've been doing, and what I'm looking for. Also added locations. Be prepared to answer questions about things related to your field (e.g. certifications, specific types of experience), and if they do ask what your desired salary, know how to answer in terms of hourly, yearly, benefits.... if you don't want to give them this number, try asking them what range this position pays. if they ask you what you're making now or at your last job, it's something they can look up, so you would need to be honest there.

Try to get a good night's sleep, and good luck!

Old 07-09-2013, 03:51 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,232,614 times
Thank you. This is a job fair held by the school board itself, it will be the only employer there. I think I will go.

Old 07-09-2013, 05:19 AM

1,102 posts, read 1,860,701 times
I think you should go and see what opportunities are available. At the least, you'll be able to make some contacts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search