Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 08:23 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTGJR View Post
Why is this Marilyn? I'm just curious.

If used correctly, LinkedIn is a valuable tool for job search, networking, etc. It's not a social network and shouldn't be used as one. My son is a computer science major and he took a Technical Writing course this past year. One of his assignments was to build out a LinkedIn profile.
Ever since I read how people have either lost potential employment or their CURRENT positions over their facebook profiles, I've been turned off from these social networking sites ever since.

Don't get me wrong. If I had a BUSINESS, then I would have no problem with them as I believe them to be good marketing vehicles, but not to post about my personal life.

Quote:
I'm just curious why people don't see the value of LinkedIn,
Didn't you read the OP's post?

He said that him and his friends are deciding final candidates on the amount of "contacts" they have in their Linkedin profiles. Not just the amount, but also the "quality".

It just isn't for ME. I'm not knocking it for anyone else. When Linkedin was new, I would hear of people getting hired from it all the time. I don't know about now though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 10:17 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,399,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post

Didn't you read the OP's post?

He said that him and his friends are deciding final candidates on the amount of "contacts" they have in their Linkedin profiles.
Credibility issues here though. Read the few posts tossed out by the OP. looks to be baiting issues for the most part.

That said, LinkedIn can have some value, but not nearly as much as face to face, email, etc.

Old 07-14-2013, 07:02 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
Credibility issues here though. Read the few posts tossed out by the OP. looks to be baiting issues for the most part.

That said, LinkedIn can have some value, but not nearly as much as face to face, email, etc.
Before it became popular, I knew several people that said Linkedin was their "secret weapon" to getting a job and/or networking.

I hope it still is for many. I prefer to stay off social networking sites altogether where my real name and picture is shown.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:58 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Recruiter View Post
At the company I work as a recruiter for (a very large company with offices all over the world) one of the crazy requests the hiring managers ask for is for the recruiters to look into the finalists LinkedIn profiles.

They are looking for two things:

1) A very well written profile with a full description of the applicants background including significant information on what they accomplished above and beyond their job descriptions. Accomplishments are taken far more seriously than the tasks they did.

(I CAN UNDERSTAND THIS, seems logical)

2) How many people are they linked to on LinkedIn? And who are they on the organizational chart. Are his/her contacts lower level people or are they people who count? They want us to count up the number of contacts who have the titles Manager/Director/Vice President in comparison to non management.

(If the finalist is not on LinkedIn then a red flag goes up and the hiring manager assume they have something to hide or are not social or are not into technology!

What if their Linkedin profile is not visible to the public then what? So I would hope that they are basing their decisions on something like a connection total.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:02 AM

774 posts, read 1,693,745 times
This thread appears to be an advertisement for LinkedIn.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:50 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archguy View Post
This thread appears to be an advertisement for LinkedIn.

The most overhyped site in Internet history

Old 07-15-2013, 07:58 PM

95 posts, read 249,106 times
I just put up an advertisement for a job opening on LinkedIn ($50k+, pension, health benefits, 401k matching, vision/dental). Guess it's pretty useless, isn't it?

Old 07-16-2013, 08:07 AM
mcq

337 posts, read 672,875 times
LinkedIn is a tremendous job search tool and certainly not over-hyped or useless, however, I don't get what the point would be in evaluating someone too much based on their connections. And where would the open networkers/LIONs fit in?

Old 07-16-2013, 09:03 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcq View Post
LinkedIn is a tremendous job search tool and certainly not over-hyped or useless, however, I don't get what the point would be in evaluating someone too much based on their connections. And where would the open networkers/LIONs fit in?
It is indeed a tremendous job search tool and, like all other similar tools, has it pluses and minuses - and needs to be used properly in order for it to work. I do think from reading many threads that some of those who decry it as being "useless" are those for whom it's just not the right tool. Seriously, would it be of any use to an entry level clerk, a dishwasher, a fast food sandwich maker or any one of a number of basically minimum wage jobs or even low-end "professional" jobs? As far as one's connections being taken into consideration I suppose they would be "considered" to a certain degree but where that's concerned the connections seem pretty much as loose as Facebook.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:19 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcq View Post

Some people never even met their connections so to evaluate someone based on the number of their connections makes no sense
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search