Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 12:36 AM

2,793 posts, read 4,070,465 times

Advertisements

Do companies always check your references?

One Skype interview was on Tuesday, they said they'd make a decision by the end of the week. OMG. I just realized I never sent a thank you note.

My big interview was on Wednesday. They told me I'd hear from the later this week. I haven't heard from them, but I'm not worried. I figured, that only really gave them two days to let all 6 people talk to one another or at least HR (I left the company at 5pm, so closing time).

I talked with a couple of people today, who are my references. They haven't heard anything from anyone. I'm trying not to worry, but reality is, I am, LOL.

A couple of people I know who are in the hiring process (but not HR), stated they don't ask to check references unless they're not sure about the person. Not sure if HR follows up anyways, but figured I'd ask here since there are some hiring managers on the board.

Do companies ask you if it's okay to contact your references?

When I was trying to find out the first answer via search, I saw that a lot of people would say that the company would ask them if it's okay to contact their references. I don't think I ever had anyone ask. After my first phone interview (prior to "big interview"), when HR really liked me, she told me to go apply online now that the job was posted. I figured, since she was very interested, I included my references at the time (via Taleo).

Thanks.
awaiting a call with an offer....while I pack
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 04:16 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
Provision of references to a prospective employer effectively constitutes permission to contact them. Otherwise, you could just put anyone down on the list just to make it seem like you're reputable even though you're not.

The need for permission is on your part: You need to secure permission from the people you list as references, getting them to agree to be contacted by your prospective employers.

My spouse recently got a new job. Yes, the references were contacted.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:32 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,987,444 times
Some companies do, some don't. The ones that do tend to do so at different points in the process, so there's no one answer. While its certainly a positive sign that your references are being called, unless you know this particular company always checks them at this stage, you shouldn't use this as the barometer of your chances. If several more business days go by and you still hear nothing, a follow up call may be in order.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Provision of references to a prospective employer effectively constitutes permission to contact them. Otherwise, you could just put anyone down on the list just to make it seem like you're reputable even though you're not.
Thanks.

Quote:
The need for permission is on your part: You need to secure permission from the people you list as references, getting them to agree to be contacted by your prospective employers.
You would think that's a given. But I saw a lot of posts stating the the prospective employer was asking the interviewee if they could contact their references. I thought it was strange. I figured if the prospective employer already had a list of your references, you were already stating that it's fine for them to contact these people and these people know you may call.

Quote:
Thanks.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
Some companies do, some don't. The ones that do tend to do so at different points in the process, so there's no one answer. While its certainly a positive sign that your references are being called, unless you know this particular company always checks them at this stage, you shouldn't use this as the barometer of your chances. If several more business days go by and you still hear nothing, a follow up call may be in order.
I figured I'd give them until next Thursday. If I don't hear from them by then, I'll shoot them an email. After that, I'll be moving so it won't be on my mind at all.

And thanks. I was hoping that maybe someone could say, most companies do, but some don't. That tells me a bit more of what to expect. Would you say larger companies do? This company employees ~13k people nationwide.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:59 AM

23,538 posts, read 24,029,400 times
Agreed.

Once you provide a reference, a potential employer may or may not contact them, but you have agreed to allow these potential references to be contacted.

I always contact my references to secure permission from them, before I use their names.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post

Old 07-13-2013, 01:11 PM

400 posts, read 1,509,082 times
Employers will check references that you provide and ones that you dont. Unofficial references should be more of a concern.

Old 07-13-2013, 01:48 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
On a lot of applications, it gives them permission to check with just about anyone that they want. Also, with references, perhaps not everyone would admit that they were called depending on what they might have said when asked specific questions.

Old 07-13-2013, 02:01 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,215,925 times
Like others have said, the submission of resumes is defacto permission to contact them. However, with past or current employers they usualy ask if it's ok to contact, even having a box to check on many applications. Also, more and more companies are using outsourced companys to do the screens and they provide a very objective evaluation. I have even seen some that do the reference checks solely by email survey.

Old 07-13-2013, 02:05 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,845,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
Do companies always check your references?
My dad owns a law firm and he never checks references when he hires people. He said he just doesn't have the time. If the person work out, great, and if not, bye bye. He said that is all that really matters to him, that the person can do the job, and that can be determined within a few weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search