Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 03:17 PM

300 posts, read 1,133,840 times

Advertisements

I've turned down interviews and job offers before. It seems sometimes that employers force job offer onto you? For example, "You're hired, when can you start?" or "You're hired come in on Wednesday" but wait a stinking minute I never accepted the job offer or is that normal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 08:10 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,786,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
Has anyone turned down a job or withdrawn from contention after an interview? What's your experience?

-- What about the company or position made you turn dow a job, you'd initially applied for or been interested in?
-- Was it just a 'feeling' or 'vibe' you got? An instinctual feeling you can't put your finger on?
-- Or did you just realize you don't want the job? or to join that company?
-- Did it make you question or 'second guess' your career goals or aspirations and how they're weighed against other factors -- like quality of life, lifestyle, family issues, etc.?

Yes last year i turned down a job last year after finding out I would have to travel which is something I did not want to do. I wanted a job that had 0% travel and since that job required you to travel 60% of the time I said No.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:03 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,286,602 times
Yes, indeed. In my last interview (22 years ago) the supervisor was so rude that, when I got home, I called HR and asked who would want to work for that person.

I thought that was the end of it but apparently HR went to her boss and told him what I'd said. Her boss, a V-P, scolded her and called me, offering me the job and asking me to come back for a second interview so the witch could apologize to me. She had been rude because she was forced to interview me against her wishes. (She figured that, with my experience, I wouldnt be happy with the salary and would leave as soon as something better came along.)

I had no intention of ever working for that wicked-witch but I agreed to go back for another interview just to hear her apologize to me. And, although (or maybe because) she made the job sound so difficult, I decided to take it. I love challenges -- I especially love walking out at the end of the day, knowing that no one could have done that day's work as well as I did.

Of course, working for her was somewhat uncomfortable at first. But, once she saw my work ethic and abilities, she came around. I admired her work ethic too and we were a great team. I worked for her for 20 wonderful years (with promotions for both of us) until we both retired.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:10 PM

3,867 posts, read 6,772,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
From what I have heard in the past, it's always been frowned upon to discuss pay before they mention it or offer you the job. That's why I never asked before. But I think I'm going to start asking upon receiving a phone call to set up any type of formal interview. I'm over wasting my time on these interviews for jobs that I wouldn't take unless I absolutely needed it.

I just wish they would list the range in the job ad. That way, I don't waste my time applying for a job that I won't take and it doesn't clutter the inbox receiving them.
I only ever ask for a minimum or a range. Then post interview I discuss what I want in order to make the switch. I want to ensure that they understand how valuable my skillset is and usually after the interview they offer me more than the minimum I requested prior to the interview. I am over double my salary from 3 years ago using this technique. Granted I am in a niche market too.

Old 07-24-2013, 05:17 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,381,539 times
One job I declined, I was recruited for was not in the right location (this company has several locations throughout the country)
Another job I declined was because I was hired already by another place the same week.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:35 PM

22,181 posts, read 29,152,023 times
Yes recently because we couldn't come together on a payplan agreement

Old 07-24-2013, 07:40 PM

141 posts, read 297,647 times
Oh yeah. Last one I turned down was because the employer wanted me to be available work seven days a week. I wouldn't have had a single dedicated day off. I think that's insane. I needed minimally one day for my family. Another job I turned down because the pay was too low. Most jobs I apply for don't give a salary range and it seems rude (apparently) to ask about that before an offer is made.

Old 07-14-2014, 03:45 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,306,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
It amazes me as to how many people said they turned jobs down after the interview due to pay. Don't you folks discuss pay PRIOR to interviewing in person? I would never agree to an interview without at least getting a range. Its a waste of my time and the hiring managers if our salary expectations don't align.

To the OP. Money isn't everything, if you are happy and are afraid of the work you may have to do, the dressing up, etc then just stay put. You seem happy and content. Try to obtain that kind of pay at your current employer.
Some companies refuse to tell how much they want to pay/what their budget is.

Even if you tell them what your target is, and it is well within their range, they still will low ball you. For example, I wanted a 10% raise, which is basically peanuts because I don't make that much. And I would be loosing half my vacation and a 401k match. 10% would be fair I think. they didn't even give me 5%. This was just the tip of what was wrong.

Old 07-14-2014, 03:48 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,306,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
I've had multiple instances where it becomes obvious that the fit isn't good.

Like other posters, I want to know the pay range before committing a lot of time to the process. However, some employers will not divulge any pay information up front. Obviously as a candidate you try to defer to the employer, but every time this has happened (pay initially not disclosed), the pay has been ridiculously low. Like half of what I am currently making.

One job in Virginia was a wild experience: the pay was acceptable, and the people I interviewed with were fine, even friendly. But very late in the process, a completely new individual was introduced to the interviewing -- someone who had been "unavailable" earlier. Turns out this guy was going to be my direct line manager, and he was incredibly overbearing. Rude, crude, and lots of attitude.

Problem was, I had already indicated that the job was acceptable, negotiated a start date, etc. (Had not yet however given notice at current job). Fortunately, this rude guy gave me an out. He stated that he wanted to conduct an additional technical interview after the first "chat" we had. I used this opportunity to decline the job by refusing his second interview.

The recruiter totally lost his marbles, saying that I was legally bound to continue to this final interview and must accept the position following that. The recruiter and agency phoned for weeks afterward, and I thought they might litigate at some point, but I had the ultimate out -- we were still interviewing, after all.
If you did not sign anything, they would have a hard time proving that in court, especially if they are requiring more interviews on the fly.

Old 07-14-2014, 03:49 PM

398 posts, read 742,231 times
Yes, i have turned down job offers because they were not my first choice role/companies to work for as I was job searching. They were back-up jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search