Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 04:00 PM

238 posts, read 1,144,264 times

Advertisements

People work so hard to answer all the questions correctly when they interview for a job. They work on their talking points and work so hard to sell them selves to employers. But when they get close to a job offer they do not do the next logical thing- find out if the job is a good match.

I know from experience that accepting the wrong job with a bad boss in a corporate culture that does not match your style can set your career back years. I had never thought about interviewing the boss when I was younger and made a terrible mistake accepting a variety of jobs with companies that were not right for me.

Do you interview the boss before a offer and if so, how do you do it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2007, 04:20 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,470,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post

Do you interview the boss before a offer and if so, how do you do it?
Absolutely. An interview is a 2-way street. In the best cases, the rapport between the interviewer and candidate should be fluid and comfortable, so the candidate should be comfortable asking questions about the job, company, and the manager's style.

It's your responsibility to do your own due diligence before making a commitment like accepting a job - a good boss will expect that.

Old 11-10-2007, 06:18 PM
dgz

806 posts, read 3,392,291 times
Yes, definately! A large part of whether you will like a job is whether you get along with the boss. I've interviewed for a few positions where my future boss was not even in the interview sessions. I always insisted in those cases that I couldn't accept the position unless I met with him or her first.

I've always found it's important to get a sense of:

Will this person let you do your job or will they try to micro-manage?

Are they ok with you disagreeing with them occasionally (note: disagreeing, not being insubordinate)?

Will they value that you are the 'expert' on your job and that what you bring to the job is valuable?

Do they themselves try to maintain a work-life balance with their job and do they expect their employees to do so as well?

Last edited by dgz; 11-10-2007 at 06:39 PM..

Old 11-10-2007, 06:28 PM

947 posts, read 3,571,605 times
I absolutely do as well when I get the chance.

Iask him what kind of equipment the facility has, how many co-workers Id have, and just general questions about the station and the area to get a feel for his attitude.

Old 11-11-2007, 02:11 AM

2,407 posts, read 10,678,337 times
Absolutely. Interviews are a good chance to see if it's a good fit for the company. If I believe that it is not going to be a good match, I will thank the interviewer for his/her time and save them the trouble of continuing with the interview if it is clearly not going to work out.

Old 11-11-2007, 06:18 AM

8,940 posts, read 20,364,639 times
I also do an "interview" (to myself) with a potential boss. During an interview, I also like to be taken around the business and shown different areas........especially the area that I would be working in. Then, if the employer does hire me, that following "90 day probation" time is not only for the employer to evaluate me, but I also evaluate the employer. I don't like quiting a job, but, if I don't like my evaluation of the company and/or employees, I won't stay.
In reality, a boss and a new employee don't really know each other until the employee has worked for the boss for a few months. Just like men/women relationships, the boss and you (and your fellow employees) don't really know each other until after a few months and a problem or two arises. I know for a fact, if my last supervisor would have known the kind of "outspoken, aggressive" personality I have, he would have never hired me. I worked for the man directly and his personality and mine was very different. Glad I am away from him.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:53 AM

238 posts, read 1,144,264 times
I am glad to see people interview their potential boss before being hired but what do you ask him/her? How do you determine if there is a match between the corporate culture and your style/personality?

Old 11-11-2007, 08:25 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,470,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
I am glad to see people interview their potential boss before being hired but what do you ask him/her? How do you determine if there is a match between the corporate culture and your style/personality?
I'm not sure what you mean by this, but I am guessing you are alluding to some specific questions like "will I have to work overtime" and such? Most of the time corporate culture is dictated by the size and industry, and to be honest most large corps are pretty much the same nowadays. Once you've worked out pay and benes, seen the workplace, it all just comes down to personalities.

If that is the case, the best thing to do is just ask, tactfully, and not be coy or talk around your questions. Perhaps if you give me some questions I can give you some idea of how to ask them tactfully.

Old 11-11-2007, 09:13 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,048,932 times
Yes, most definitely!

But the employer will only tell you what they want you to hear, and vice versa. The truth comes out after the 'honeymoon' period is over.

Old 11-11-2007, 02:01 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,087,707 times
Oh yes, absolutely. Generally at the end of interviews, the interviewer asks if you have any questions. I usually ask the manager:

what his/her management style is
describe the climate/feel of the office
employee turnover
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search