Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 02:40 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,820,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
Is this still okay?

Protective Style: Chunky Solange Inspired Long Box Braids - YouTube

The hair not the girl in general lol
Oh yes, the braids are beautiful and professional. I still don't get where you are coming from. Do you think it's okay for a corporate environment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 03:20 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,957,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Oh yes, the braids are beautiful and professional. I still don't get where you are coming from. Do you think it's okay for a corporate environment?
I have no clue, never seen people with them at work. So what is the unwritten rule about braids? I hear they can not touch the scalp all the way through like Bo Derek. They can not be matted like Bob Marley but loose and long is okay. Is that right?

Now what are the rules when it comes to thickness & color?

Well I guess the pinks and the greens are out but can you have highlights like you would with your own hair?

Old 08-02-2013, 07:10 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,159,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I, also, expected a huge mohawk. The woman in the picture looks very professional and classy. I'd absolutely hire her, assuming she was qualified.

So, since it seems that no one would be turned off by the braids (and for the life of me, I can't figure out why anyone would be), would anyone hire this person for an office job?

Attachment 115360

Let's assume the position would interface with internal and external customers. Also, let's assume that experience level, education, and personality are a complete "fit" for the job and organization. Everything, except the hair, is perfect for the position. (Assuming a more traditional, conservative culture.)

You hiring him?
Yes to the Op and the lady with braids...very classy.

To the pink mohawk....maybe. Depending on the type of business.

I'm not sure where angrymillionaire is going with the braid thing? Is this a race issue s/he's getting at? I like all of them, personally. Pink and green braids and the chunky braids, fine by me and yes I would hire, I think it's cute but may not work for a very conservative business.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:44 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
Quote:
Is this still okay?

Protective Style: Chunky Solange Inspired Long Box Braids - YouTube

The hair not the girl in general lol
The first woman you could see her with that hairstyle sitting behind a desk in a classy NYC gallery, ignoring the customers. The one above is more wild and would not work in a setting calling for a sophisticated look, IMO.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:19 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,135,733 times
That is a very nice, high-class look in the op.

Not sure what you are trying to get at....I was expecting wild hair color, mohawks or something!

Old 08-02-2013, 11:34 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times
Such styles are expensive and time-consuming. It would indicate to me she has a high regard for detail and neatness. Good qualities for any job!

Old 08-03-2013, 04:08 AM

1,373 posts, read 2,957,857 times

Requested: How to style box braids style#2 - YouTube

So I think so far its unonimous. I get a feeling braids are okay in a natutral color that is dark braids on dark hair now I would like to hear your views on color. Is the above still okay?

This down below is low class
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUt1wo7LBCk

But I am wondering if you guys classify both as lowclass because of the color or is the first one okay or just as bad as the second?

Old 08-03-2013, 04:50 AM

296 posts, read 625,741 times
OP, are you conducting research on ethnic styles for survey purposes? Would you hire a woman of any other race who wore tastefully done braids? What is your opinion of these styles?

Old 08-03-2013, 05:35 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times
Any person who thinks this is odd or should be rejected from the corporate world suffers from a severe case of envy. The hair is beautiful. What do some expect of black woman? Would they rather have hair that looks like black straw that is so chemically treated that it looks totally un-natural? Black woman it seems all want to have white hair these days...and it never looks right - This is the way to go- it's ancient - traditional and actually historically conservative- I like it.

Old 08-03-2013, 05:41 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times
Quote:

Requested: How to style box braids style#2 - YouTube

So I think so far its unonimous. I get a feeling braids are okay in a natutral color that is dark braids on dark hair now I would like to hear your views on color. Is the above still okay?

This down below is low class

Poetic Justice braids/ Large box braids!!. - YouTube

But I am wondering if you guys classify both as lowclass because of the color or is the first one okay or just as bad as the second?
Natural is best- The color is not really low class but you don't need it- I know latin woman who want to look as white as possible who dye their hair blonde- it looks like racial social climbing which is silly- You don't need it- the best color for you is the one you are born with. Hair that is made to look "blonde" in any form whether it is on a white woman with naturally dark hair or a black woman is off the mark......much like you see almost all Russian woman - who ALL want to be blonde - who's hair looks like a heap of bleached out straw...be who you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search