Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 03:08 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,438,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_contrary View Post
She was given the form for the background check after she was given the offer and put in her notice. It was one of those "oh, we forgot to have you fill this out during the interview process." As I mentioned earlier, the form only asked if she had been convicted of a felony, and since her misdemeanor never affected her in the past she didn't think to disclose.
Ouch then. I wish your friend the best of luck. Hopefully she has gotten her life straightened out since her <sarcasm>outrageously criminal past</sarcasm>. What was it that she stole by the way? Did you disclose that?

Old 08-01-2013, 03:41 PM

212 posts, read 1,003,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
Ouch then. I wish your friend the best of luck. Hopefully she has gotten her life straightened out since her <sarcasm>outrageously criminal past</sarcasm>. What was it that she stole by the way? Did you disclose that?
I think it was an external hard drive from Walmart. At least she was trying to stick it to a greedy corporation, not some ma and pa shop... if that means anything.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:50 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,438,458 times
Quote:
I think it was an external hard drive from Walmart. At least she was trying to stick it to a greedy corporation, not some ma and pa shop... if that means anything.
Well, stealing is stealing in my book. Hopefully she has learned from this mistake and isn't continuing to partake in this type of criminal behavior. Best of luck to her in her job hunt.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:35 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,393,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
So are there any crimes that you find acceptable that you are able to work alongside people with? Just curious. I mean, I'm not sure how old this person was when they stole something, but people are still dumb when they're young so I'd be understanding of something they did when they were twenty or younger, but if she was older when she committed the crime, not so much.
I have issues with crimes that are committed when the person KNEW what they were doing was wrong. Theft crimes...the person knew. Everyone makes mistakes. Not everyone does something they know is wrong and does it often enough to actually get caught.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:59 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,215,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
NO. EVERY major company does it that way. I got rehired by my former Fortune 500 company in another state and it was clearly stated during the hiring process that you will be terminated if the background check reveals anything even AFTER you started work. Now that I think about it I got hired twice by them and a former parent company of theirs (the phone company) 7 years apart in different states and it was the same. I guarantee you she KNEW that going in. The only way to know for sure if there was something done wrong is to see an employment lawyer to review the documentation she received.
How do you know EVERY MAJOR company does this? have your checked or are you just guessing to add drama to your position? Also, How can you guarantee what someone who you dont know and whos only connection is that a friend of theres reads the same forum as you? That sort of shoots your credibility down in a flaming pile of BS. Though, your advice to see a lawyer is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
I think stealing is despicable. Honestly, if it were one of my friends who stole something from me, I'd likely never talk to them again.

I believe in 2nd chances. I'll give this woman the benefit of the doubt since she only has one offense and it happened nearly a decade ago. She should at least be allowed to earn a living and put food on the table. If she continues to steal, then she will make her living behind bars like the rest of our repeat offenders.
Seriously, you would never talk to a friend who did this? Doesnt that seem sort of unfriendly? i know i would support my friends and help themn through issues. This seems so harsh, mean spirited even. But then you go on to say you would hire her..is that if she isnt your friend? or will you hire someone who was a thief, but not your friend? very confusing statements?

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
NOPE. You have to sign permission to have a background check. Just like you have to sign permission for a credit check. They can even include asking you to disclose if you had a conviction under a conditional discharge. She's scamming YOU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_Whut View Post
It will be cheaper in the long run than having a conviction on your record. I suspect it will get more difficult in the future to find good jobs with a criminal record...

More and more employers are looking at studies that say people with low impulse control are generally* worse employees in terms of absenteeism and workplace injury/carelessness.

That's why the employment screening "personality tests" have all those weird questions that seem unrelated to employment - it's trying to screen out people who don't think of the consequences of their actions or can't resist temptation.

There are tons of studies showing that convicted criminals* have (on average) lower impulse control and worse future orientation than non-convicted criminals. Remember the longitudinal study that showed kindergarderners who can't resist temptations are must more likely to end up in prison as adults?

[* once again, this is speaking generally of group averages, not particular individuals]
Do you have sources for the reports? Id really be interested in reading them, though i doubt they exist. I suspect the citation was added for dramatic support of your position. Since there are "tons", please give me one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
If it is an 'At Will' state, the company doesn't have to hire her; Nor does her old employer have to take her back.

As a person who is a hiring manager, I would not hire a thief, regardless if the offense was only a misdemeanor or occurred 8 years ago.
Really, where is your compassion? Do you go to church? If so, where is your forgiveness? If not, why such hate? have you never made a mistake? Did nobody ever forgive you? I honestly can't even imagine the meanness in your soul that would allow that to be typed, let alone believed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
So, why is my company obligated to hire someone and give them a chance?

Oh, and the person had a job. She quit it before the background results came back and she was cleared to start. Sorry, but she got herself in this position.

If the person wanted to earn money to pay for the things they need, they should have earned the money to pay for the item they stole...had they paid for that one, this whole thing would be moot.

Sorry, but I DO have issues with working with someone who was ok with resorting to theft...there's nothing to say they won't do it again, but there is also nothing to say they won't.
So it would be better if they were a better thief, never got caught and then you hired them?

Old 08-01-2013, 08:52 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,281,178 times
Quote:
No, she wouldn't be handling money. It was a job were she oversees projects and enters their status into a system, making sure things get done on time, etc. The person who would have been her supervisor was actually sympathetic to her situation, but the decision to not hire came from the HR managers who are frustratingly out of touch.

{snip}
I would have hired her for that job, since it doesn't sounds particularly "risky". I wouldn't hire anyone with a theft conviction to be a home nurse for an Alzheimer's patient or something, but an internal project monitor doesn't seem so touchy. Sorry she lost her job.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:02 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,335,832 times
While the subject of this thread is an interesting one, it unfortunately does not appear to be possible for people to remain on-topic. Closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search