Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 11:41 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,479,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Actually it's some posters on here you feel you should work at a fast food place right away so you can be active regardless if u only been on UI for 3 weeks.
Right because that is going to help me land a good paying tech sales career. I see you went from making 50k based and commissions to oh $8 hour at burger hut. I am sure you kept those complex sales skills.

Hey I guess we shouldn't dog you out too bad you are doing your job late at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 12:10 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Right because that is going to help me land a good paying tech sales career. I see you went from making 50k based and commissions to oh $8 hour at burger hut. I am sure you kept those complex sales skills.

Hey I guess we shouldn't dog you out too bad you are doing your job late at night.

No one can dog me out because I'm employed and happy. So tell me again what you are talking about?

Old 08-04-2013, 09:15 AM

1,006 posts, read 2,215,720 times
As with all things: Begging for forgivness trumps asking for permission. Or applied to your case, refuse the job, take UI and if pushed on the issue, claim ignorance. YMMV

Old 08-04-2013, 11:55 AM

4,400 posts, read 13,393,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocaseco View Post
As with all things: Begging for forgivness trumps asking for permission. Or applied to your case, refuse the job, take UI and if pushed on the issue, claim ignorance. YMMV
And again, PLEASE do not encourage people to commit UI fraud. Not sure why so many people seem to think it is ok to come on here and tell people to commit fraud...

Old 08-04-2013, 02:10 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Actually it's some posters on here you feel you should work at a fast food place right away so you can be active regardless if u only been on UI for 3 weeks.

Seems that way, like the one below. UE insurance is just that, it is for people who lose their job through no fault of their own to assist them while they find a job that pays them something close to what they were making before.

I would rather see someone collect UE for 6 months and find a job they can pay their bills with, over someone taking a fast food job and needing food stamps to get by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
So, what I'm hearing is that you'd rather live off of my (taxpayer) money, than make your own money.

Thanks. I do appreciate it.

(on the other hand, maybe you should be thanking me.)

There is nothing stopping you from accepting this position and continuing to look for another one that pays more.
Maybe you should direct that anger toward the many "single moms" who keep having kids and have the taxpayer support them. Or the many people who are collecting disability who can't work but can procreate pretty good.

Rather than someone who got up and went to work until they lost their job due to a layoff.

UE insurance is there to bridge the gap so the individual can find a paying position similar to the one they lost so they're not a burden to society, not just take the first low paying job that comes along, that is going to require them to need additional assistance.

Most people on UE benefits want nothing more than to get back to work, but it makes no sense to take say a minimum wage job that is going to go into your gas tank to get back and forth to, when they could be spending that time searching for a real replacement job.

Someone who works for say 16 yrs and gets laid off and needs UE for a few months, so what.

Someone keeps having kids with different men and gets more welfare and food stamps, that is something to be angry about it.

Old 08-04-2013, 02:30 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Seems that way, like the one below. UE insurance is just that, it is for people who lose their job through no fault of their own to assist them while they find a job that pays them something close to what they were making before.

I would rather see someone collect UE for 6 months and find a job they can pay their bills with, over someone taking a fast food job and needing food stamps to get by.

Maybe you should direct that anger toward the many "single moms" who keep having kids and have the taxpayer support them. Or the many people who are collecting disability who can't work but can procreate pretty good.

Rather than someone who got up and went to work until they lost their job due to a layoff.

UE insurance is there to bridge the gap so the individual can find a paying position similar to the one they lost so they're not a burden to society, not just take the first low paying job that comes along, that is going to require them to need additional assistance.

Most people on UE benefits want nothing more than to get back to work, but it makes no sense to take say a minimum wage job that is going to go into your gas tank to get back and forth to, when they could be spending that time searching for a real replacement job.

Someone who works for say 16 yrs and gets laid off and needs UE for a few months, so what.

Someone keeps having kids with different men and gets more welfare and food stamps, that is something to be angry about it.

Exactly, never understood why people who receive UI are viewed the same way as welfare moms when it's clear they are receiving UI because they were actually working at a job that resulted in a layoff

Old 08-04-2013, 02:39 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,125,760 times
Quote:
That last part was NEVER the intent when Unemployment Insurance was created. It was created so people would, literally, not starve.

And, as per the OP, this other job pays roughly the same as the job he lost.

Quote:
This forum nor this thread is about other people who abuse the system. Anger is directed that way in the proper forum.

Old 08-04-2013, 03:03 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
Quote:

And, as per the OP, this other job pays roughly the same as the job he lost.

The new offer is approx 15% less per hour than the OP's prior job. Also the OP's prior job was Full Time. The new offer is Part Time...which makes the pay per week substantially lower than what OP was making. It's 50% less in take home pay per week.

Old 08-04-2013, 03:40 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,125,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
The new offer is approx 15% less per hour than the OP's prior job. Also the OP's prior job was Full Time. The new offer is Part Time...which makes the pay per week substantially lower than what OP was making. It's 50% less in take home pay per week.
My apologies. The new job will pay the same as UI. So, I see no reason for him to not take the job and continue to look for a better paying position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowcap View Post
So If I take this job and work the hours they'll give me, I'll pretty much be making what I am making collecting UI, give or take a few dollars.

Old 08-04-2013, 03:58 PM
FBJ

Quote:
My apologies. The new job will pay the same as UI. So, I see no reason for him to not take the job and continue to look for a better paying position.

But since it's so early in his Unemployment phase shouldn't he hold out for a job that pays more than UI?

Now if he was in his last month of UI then i say take it but I think the OP is in his 1st month
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search