Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 04:36 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
But since it's so early in his Unemployment phase shouldn't he hold out for a job that pays more than UI?

Now if he was in his last month of UI then i say take it but I think the OP is in his 1st month
Which gets back to the point which spencgr made and which everybody conveniently forgets. The purpose of UC when it was first implemented was to provide workers who were laid off through no fault of their own with a stipend to enable them to get by with the mere basics until they could find employment. It was never designed to afford someone the luxury of picking and choosing.

Encouraging someone who is unemployed to just rape the coffers to the max for the longest period possible is reprehensible in my opinion. Worse to continue thumping that drum when, in this case, the offered position is the same as he's getting in UC. That sort of thinking reeks and particularly coming from not only a job counselor but one who's employed in local government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 04:54 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Which gets back to the point which spencgr made and which everybody conveniently forgets. The purpose of UC when it was first implemented was to provide workers who were laid off through no fault of their own with a stipend to enable them to get by with the mere basics until they could find employment. It was never designed to afford someone the luxury of picking and choosing.

Encouraging someone who is unemployed to just rape the coffers to the max for the longest period possible is reprehensible in my opinion. Worse to continue thumping that drum when, in this case, the offered position is the same as he's getting in UC. That sort of thinking reeks and particularly coming from not only a job counselor but one who's employed in local government.

I always thought the purpose of UC was to find a job paying MORE than UC not the same or less

Old 08-04-2013, 04:54 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post

This was my experience some years ago directly at the orientation for Unemployment Insurance by the Dept. of Labor in New York.

Back when I was on UI, I distinctly remember being surprised at the mandatory orientation session at the NYS Dept. of Labor for new UI claimants. The manager who ran it specifically told us that we should be careful about which job we accepted and to make sure you make enough money to live on and make sure we think the job is a match and not to "just take anything" because if you quit a job because you don't like it or because you aren't making enough money it is hard, if not impossible, to get back on UI for those reasons. She also said this may be the time to go back to school for a short vocational training program for some people to improve their skills and earning power and that people who do this DIDN'T have to look for a job while training. She said if people were interested they could get more information on which schools and programs were approved. Previously, I thought just like you, people are just required to "find anything" as fast as possible while on UI.

The way the law is written, at least in NY, you legally do not have to accept lesser paying jobs for a certain amount of time, and then after that time has expired and you are still on UI, you still don't have to accept a lesser paying percentage. Meaning you are never obligated to take minimum wage (unless you already had been working for minimum wage of course) just because you are on UI.

UI is there to help you get back on your feet or as close to where you were before as possible.

In some cases, such as the Dept. of Labor allowing people to take approved training courses and not look for a job while on UI, it can help someone improve their earning power and marketability.

Old 08-04-2013, 05:16 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
This was my experience some years ago directly at the orientation for Unemployment Insurance by the Dept. of Labor in New York.

Back when I was on UI, I distinctly remember being surprised at the mandatory orientation session at the NYS Dept. of Labor for new UI claimants. The manager who ran it specifically told us that we should be careful about which job we accepted and to make sure you make enough money to live on and make sure we think the job is a match and not to "just take anything" because if you quit a job because you don't like it or because you aren't making enough money it is hard, if not impossible, to get back on UI for those reasons. She also said this may be the time to go back to school for a short vocational training program for some people to improve their skills and earning power and that people who do this DIDN'T have to look for a job while training. She said if people were interested they could get more information on which schools and programs were approved. Previously, I thought just like you, people are just required to "find anything" as fast as possible while on UI.

The way the law is written, at least in NY, you legally do not have to accept lesser paying jobs for a certain amount of time, and then after that time has expired and you are still on UI, you still don't have to accept a lesser paying percentage. Meaning you are never obligated to take minimum wage (unless you already had been working for minimum wage of course) just because you are on UI.

UI is there to help you get back on your feet or as close to where you were before as possible.

In some cases, such as the Dept. of Labor allowing people to take approved training courses and not look for a job while on UI, it can help someone improve their earning power and marketability.

Makes sense, no way in hell would I set my alarm to get up so I can make the same thing I was making on UC LOL

Old 08-04-2013, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Makes sense, no way in hell would I set my alarm to get up so I can make the same thing I was making on UC LOL
And I got that straight from the mouth of a manager with the NYS Dept. of Labor at an orientation meeting for new unemployment insurance claimants. A steadily employed person earning the same or more than they used to is more useful to grow the economy than one scrambling on p/t minimum wage and they recognize that a little more time on UI is worth the investment.

Old 08-04-2013, 05:25 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,125,760 times
Quote:

I am in no way surprised that the administrators encourage staying on UI. And just because there is no law that REQUIRES someone to take a job, it doesn't mean that you shouldn't do it.

Old 08-04-2013, 05:37 PM
FBJ

Quote:
And I got that straight from the mouth of a manager with the NYS Dept. of Labor at an orientation meeting for new unemployment insurance claimants. A steadily employed person earning the same or more than they used to is more useful to grow the economy than one scrambling on p/t minimum wage and they recognize that a little more time on UI is worth the investment.

And why do some people take part-time employment when receiving UC?

Old 08-04-2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I am in no way surprised that the administrators encourage staying on UI. And just because there is no law that REQUIRES someone to take a job, it doesn't mean that you shouldn't do it.
If the job is well suited of course, take it! You think people are turning down decent jobs to stay on UI?

Here's a reality check for those that think UI is a welfare vacation:

1. It is taxable, both state and federal. So less money for people right off top.

2. It is a pittance. The highest in my state is $405 a week. Where I live is expensive. Nobody could even make just the rent and utilities on a 1 bedroom apartment on that. Then what about eating and other bills? Most people get off it as soon as possible in my area because housing is so expensive. There are no trailer parks to lay about in. You cannot get any welfare to go with it because UI is conveniently too high an income for welfare and food stamps. So please stop acting like it's some paradise to be on UI. On Long Island, NY, it is a joke and nobody can sustain themselves with it. Nobody makes a living staying on UI around here. Anyplace where people can is probably a hillbilly hellhole where you have to be half strung out on meth to stand living anyway so why bother?

Old 08-04-2013, 05:41 PM

Quote:
And why do some people take part-time employment when receiving UC?
1. they want to; bored sitting around
2. they want their UI to last longer; stretch it out
3. the p/t job might become f/t in the future
4. if they work the right amount of days/hours they can end up with more money than just being on UI

could be many reasons

Old 08-04-2013, 05:45 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
Let all these dogooders complain that you are raping the system by taking UI by not accepting that low paying job, but I GUARANTEE you that if they were unemployed they would gladly take that check every week until they found a DECENT job. What they forget is that while you are working at that low paying job you could be missing out on interviewing for a better position that you would stay at. You do not just want any old job, you want a career that you will stay with.

The purpose of UI is to tide you over until you find a SUITABLE job, not just any dishwashing job that comes along. You and I and everybody else paid into that fund for years and it is no shame to take advantage of it when needed.

As for your fears that you will be caught, how will UI ever know unless you tell them? The company you interviewed with will never have a reason to contact them, nor should they. I think you made the right decision, when I was unemployed at one point in my life I passed up a few low paying jobs because I knew what I needed to make to live, and that $275 a week is better than $9 per X 40 = $360 BEFORE TAXES, and then you have all the other deductions, plus your gas and clothing cost to go to work. So you will end up with less than $ 275 a week.

Hold your head up and accept the UI until you find a DECENT paying job and one that you will grow in. You have nothing to be ashamed of, you are out there interviewing but just haven't found the right job yet. I would not even mention the offer to anyone or on your weekly sign in, it was a horrible offer and as good as not getting one at all. When you do find a good job you will be paying your share into the kitty once again.

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search