Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 01:13 PM

119 posts, read 410,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.S. Lazio View Post
The boss looks at me, "Well, making my workers look bad like that is certainly not a great way to get the job."
Uff. Yeah, you didn't want that job anyway! How awful.

I feel sorry for my current co-worker. I am normally a very kind, gentle and quiet person... except when it comes to billing with a certain vendor. This vendor used to put everything on the table, and the person before me would process it all, no questions asked. Then I started to see this after she left, and questioned every little charge, saving the company over $1,500 on the first few months. Of course, the vendor was NOT happy at all. So when my current co-worker was being interview, I was on the phone fighting a $650 overcharge... and boy was I mad. Not loud or cruel, but just talking with a tone, and I think I almost scared her off! Luckily, they went and finished the interview downstairs, and when she came back, I was done with the convo and could greet her properly.

Still, I wish my manager would've told me she'd be interviewing people, so I at least could plan what to say to them. She did have questions, which I answered truthfully, and thankfully she accepted the job. It is a high stress job, but worth it at some point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 01:19 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Oh it was years ago. Really interviews are that long and with that many people? I haven't heard of that from friends and family around me. That's nuts.
3-4 interviews, marketing plan, taking a month to complete process about standard for white collar job.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:26 PM

210 posts, read 382,404 times
I don't think several interviews with multiple people is unsusual. I do think it's inefficient to have more than 4 separate interviews, there should be some team interviewing if there are that many people that need to okay the candidate. I once interviewed with 9 different people for a job, 5 were telephone interviews with folks at remote locations and 4 were arranged in one afternoon at one site. I was definitely worn out, but I understand why they did what they did. I knew they liked me and wanted to make sure the teams I would interact with liked me too.

Bad interviews---I had 3 interviews in my life where I felt the interviewer already knew they wanted someone else and the questions were designed to rule me out. Wasted my time. But then I believe things happend for a reason, so the job was not the right one!

Old 08-04-2013, 01:37 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
3-4 interviews, marketing plan, taking a month to complete process about standard for white collar job.
This was for a clerical data entry job. I think that's why it was a bit unnerving plus it wasn't a secure facility or anything like that. And this was in one sitting/day.

Old 08-04-2013, 04:56 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,766 times
My zipper was down and nice, new and shiny Fruit of the Looms glowed like a solar eclipse when I unbuttoned my jacket.
Strange thing is, it happened again with this same interview suit. Caught it that time, but when we moved, I chucked them into a goodwill bag because I really got paranoid about them!

Old 08-04-2013, 07:18 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Oh cheech. After my whole life with a certain company, I relocated and went to get rehired in a new state. Got the interview at the site office with a first level supervisor on a floor where everyone is online with customers. Really loud, with the story of Chris Brown beating up Rhianna on the overhead radio right where customers can hear everything and all the girls yelling comments. With customers on the phone.

The supervisor, around 24 yrs old, says we're having the interview right THERE in her cubicle and a role play is involved with math. and trying to sell people stuff. All during the role play she's looking at her "as made sales figures" on her screen and not cooperating, being rude, giving me one word answers when I'm fact finding.

The phone rings, she answers it, and proceeds to have a huge fight with her husband and starts crying. While I'm in the middle of my role play sentence.

Idiot. Of course they sent me a rejection letter, I escalated to the HR dept who was shocked, and gave me a new interview in Miami with the Director. I passed that one (it was in a conference room hahaha).

Funny thing is the moment I started work I KNEW it wouldn't work for me. The entire state operates like the girl in Ft Lauderdale, rude, stupid and also unethical. I quit in 8 weeks and started my own business and lived on it from the 2nd month and that was in 2009.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:50 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,884,082 times
Showed up thinking I was interviewing for a back-office math job. Human resources sent me up for an interview for what they confirmed was a back-office math job. Halfway through the interview, during which the hiring manager has been looking less and less happy with me with every question, he starts asking about sales experience and ability.

Needless to say I got neither the job I thought I was interviewing for when I came in nor the one the hiring manager was trying to get a candidate in for.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:24 PM

49 posts, read 66,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
This was for a clerical data entry job. I think that's why it was a bit unnerving plus it wasn't a secure facility or anything like that. And this was in one sitting/day.
I agree with you--for data entry--a 4 hour + interview is ridiculous. To me, it almost reads as if the company is unorganized because a smarter and more efficient plan would of had you just interview for a panel.

And like I said, the whole data entry thing is just ridiculous, I'm in college and have had a data entry job, at a top security place and my interview didn't take that long--the background check was another story though haha

Old 08-04-2013, 10:28 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.S. Lazio View Post
I had a job interview one time, lol, I'll never forget it.

The interview went great and then I got the obligatory "let's go walk around the office and meet everyone" invite.

At the point, the job was mine and we went around. We met up with a guy who was working in an area that I wanted to work in. After shaking his hand I asked him a couple specific questions and he didn't have an answer as he blankly looked at the boss who was leading me around.

After we walked away, I thought it'd be a good time to tell the boss the answers and how I knew all about it.

The boss looks at me, "Well, making my workers look bad like that is certainly not a great way to get the job."

I knew the job was now off the table, told him to not get touchy about it and told him I'd see myself out.

Foot in mouth.
Omg :-)
Good for you

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4

Old 08-04-2013, 10:41 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
A long time ago I had an interview at Starbucks where the old man interviewing me wouldn't shut up about the concept of upselling (trying to get a customer to spend more money they probably know they aren't going to). The whole thing just weirded me out. I mean when I go somewhere, very rarely am I open to someone barraging me about all the new things they have, what goes good with this and that etc. unless it's something I NEED.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search