Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2013, 06:23 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,763,183 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

So to make it brief I have not been at my "non-paid" internship with a human resource department for 3 weeks due to a manager at another HR department suddenly quitting and making everyone too busy to have the resources to supervise me. I called back once to find out what is going on and she promised to call me back on Wednesday last week to hear back from them. No calls. Today they say they want me to come and make out about 2000 copies for a project and it will take a day or two and then that's it. No gurantee of more work after that.

I am lead to believe that this is the only work for me and after that they will be back to being too busy to supervise me doing more "legit" human resource work.

So here is the deal, they promised 240 hrs so I can get school credit. I need this in order to graduate on time and I'm limited financially, so I have to get out on time. They did not deliver the amount of work and actual HR skills promised, but they did promise to say I did 240 hrs and that is enough to get me credit.

Now, I am concerned with them sticking to their word. Usually, the college sends a paper requesting they say how I did and how many hours I completed. I feel, if they are too busy to give me a 3 minute call, then they will probably be too busy to fill out a 3 min fill in the back evaluation.

So my option on the safe side is to get them to type a paper saying I did a good job and completed 240 hours. Is that too much to ask? That way I can ask it for them while I am there and I am not risking them forgetting about it a month or two months later and not knowing if the mail department properly delivers it to them.

Thanks,

the city

Now after this I have no interest to stay in HR. I like the work office atmosphere and a lot of the people I worked/work with, but seeing after 3 weeks of no response and finally they want me to make copies I feel undervalued and feel I could do better in marketing.

I have been offered a marketing internship that I can take at the end of the year. However, what qualities should I look for a good internship? I was offered several other internships doing criminal justice and social service activities related to my major, but quiet frankly the government jobs are washed up in this part of CA.

If I took a marketing internship, how will I know that I can actually do actual marketing stuff? Coming from a sociology major background, would marketing people be interested in hiring me as an intern and after I graduate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 06:42 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,905,586 times
go there and tell them you'll do whatever they want - copies, whatever. You need the hours, they can't fabricate it. Or, and maybe and, talk to the career services office at your school and explain the situation and see what they suggest. If it's an employer that they want to continue to send interns for credit, then they will work something out between themselves

Old 08-05-2013, 10:36 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,763,183 times
School doesn't care if they are legit or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search