Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 06:06 PM

156 posts, read 447,437 times

Advertisements

As Rambler said, you don't have to disclose your disability. But I'd suggest you do so. The interviewer will probably notice your disability (you said it was noticeable) and might, legally or illegally, get worried about your capacity to do the job.

So I say you bring it up once during the interview by saying something along the lines of, "As you might notice, I have a minor health issue which has involved some contact with the health care system. I'm very grateful for the excellent care I've received that renders me able to lead a very normal life. So I'd like to bring my past managerial/business experience to this field by [talk about what great attributes you have.]"

The only downside to this is that the employer might get nervous about you bringing this up in the interview. That's why, if you do decide to mention it, you mention it once and then immediately move on by discussing your qualifications. (A common mistake people make is discussing why they want a position, rather than discussing why they're the best candidate.) So it's a little risky, but I think doing something along these lines might eliminate any reservations the hiring manager may have about your physical abilities.

Even better: ask your health care provider for advice. They might be able to get you a session with a social worker who deals with people in your boat and has the advantage of seeing what works best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 06:35 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,409,899 times
There is nothing stopping them from not hiring you and legal action is fruitless. I wouldn't disclose. Even the experts would tell you not to disclose unless your disability impacted your ability to do the job. If it doesn't impact your ability to do the job, there is no reason to disclose.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:59 AM

890 posts, read 1,649,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Unless you require reasonable accomodation under the ADA in order to be able to work, do NOT discuss ANY of your personal medical information with a prospective employer. It's illegal under HIPPA for them to even ask you about it. Given the current tight job market, don't give an employer any possible reason to discard your application. Talk about the OTHER excellent reasons why you have decided to make your career change and let it go at that.

The sole exception would be if you are seeking work with the Federal Government. The Feds are making an active effort to recruit people with disabilities. They have even set up a sort of disability advocate system which you can utilize to get preferance points on your job application. Last time I checked they had quite a few jobs for those in medical administration. Google USAJobs, Individuals with disabilities.

Good luck!

Yours,
- Rambler
I've tried the gov't...no luck so far

Old 08-13-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJCPHL View Post
As Rambler said, you don't have to disclose your disability. But I'd suggest you do so. The interviewer will probably notice your disability (you said it was noticeable) and might, legally or illegally, get worried about your capacity to do the job.

So I say you bring it up once during the interview by saying something along the lines of, "As you might notice, I have a minor health issue which has involved some contact with the health care system. I'm very grateful for the excellent care I've received that renders me able to lead a very normal life. So I'd like to bring my past managerial/business experience to this field by [talk about what great attributes you have.]"

The only downside to this is that the employer might get nervous about you bringing this up in the interview. That's why, if you do decide to mention it, you mention it once and then immediately move on by discussing your qualifications. (A common mistake people make is discussing why they want a position, rather than discussing why they're the best candidate.) So it's a little risky, but I think doing something along these lines might eliminate any reservations the hiring manager may have about your physical abilities.

Even better: ask your health care provider for advice. They might be able to get you a session with a social worker who deals with people in your boat and has the advantage of seeing what works best.
agreed.

Old 08-13-2013, 11:32 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,482,104 times
I'd only reveal it if you've made great strides overcoming the disability. Only make yourself look as good as possible during the interview!

Old 08-13-2013, 12:20 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Plenty of great advice in here already!

Old 08-13-2013, 12:49 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
You have received some great advice already, and Maybe I'm missing something here.

But I don't hear anything that the OP has said that sounds like a disability. I hear a noticeable limp. Nothing made me think of disability except the title of the OP's thread.

And if that's the case, there's nothing to mention, unless the job requires extensive walking or lifting or something she/he physically cannot do.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:23 PM

156 posts, read 447,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
You have received some great advice already, and Maybe I'm missing something here.

But I don't hear anything that the OP has said that sounds like a disability. I hear a noticeable limp. Nothing made me think of disability except the title of the OP's thread.

And if that's the case, there's nothing to mention, unless the job requires extensive walking or lifting or something she/he physically cannot do.
This is a really good point. Lots of times people magnify their flaws because they're so aware of them. Ask yourself if your limp looks like you might have a serious physical limitation or if it looks like you have a banged up knee or a hip that's not quite right. Healthcare administration isn't the most physically demanding profession out there!

Old 08-16-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJCPHL View Post
This is a really good point. Lots of times people magnify their flaws because they're so aware of them. Ask yourself if your limp looks like you might have a serious physical limitation or if it looks like you have a banged up knee or a hip that's not quite right. Healthcare administration isn't the most physically demanding profession out there!
true
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search