Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 05:23 PM

25 posts, read 72,459 times

Advertisements

I phone interviewed with two firms recently and I was supposed to hear back last week. If a company is interested, they will contact you. No amount of following up or "showing interest" will change their mind. I know if they wanted to move me to the next round, I would've heard back already. Since I haven't, I already know the answer so I probably will not be contacting them to find out the status. That's all the closure sign I need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 06:30 PM

23,535 posts, read 24,029,400 times
Yes, you are correct. If they are interested, you would have heard back in a short amount of time.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:44 PM

35 posts, read 100,700 times
I think you're right that if they were interested they'd call, but people do seek closure so they try to follow-up. Or they still have an ounce of hope that following up with yield an offer.

The best advice given to me is just to move on after an interview regardless of whether you thought it went well or not.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:47 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,119,844 times
There is no need. If you keep getting rejected, I would spend more time on practice interviews and job hunting classes.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:22 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Boy View Post
I phone interviewed with two firms recently and I was supposed to hear back last week. If a company is interested, they will contact you. No amount of following up or "showing interest" will change their mind. I know if they wanted to move me to the next round, I would've heard back already. Since I haven't, I already know the answer so I probably will not be contacting them to find out the status. That's all the closure sign I need.
Maybe the reason you don't care is that you did phone interviews.

When people take the time and effort to get dressed up, take the morning off from their job by saying they have a doctor's appt, sometimes have to pay to park their car, etc.....they would like the courtesy of an answer, some type of status.

And especially when they come in for two and three interviews.

You didn't even leave your house.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:06 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times
on one hand, companies do sometimes take a long time to get back to people, even people they are interested in.

on another hand, it's always nice to have closure.

on yet another hand, ONE good follow-up/thank you note (one that is thoughtful and relevant and doesn't ask for a reply) is always a good thing to send. it's not going to completely change an interviewer's mind about you, but it might give you an advantage if it's close between you and another candidate.

but ultimately, i agree with the OP. these are the possible responses to a request for follow-up from an employer:

1. they tell you they haven't made a decision.
2. they tell you you didn't get the job.

there are rare exceptions (when i went into the town library to follow up on a job application when i was 16, i was hired on the spot), but they're generally not going to be like "OH, we forgot to tell you you're hired!!"

meanwhile, following up TOO much, to the point where you're pestering the employer, can hurt your chances. is hearing one of the 2 answers above really worth that risk?

if the answer is "we want to hire you", you will hear from them. i totally understand the antsy feeling while you're waiting, and the desire to keep asking what's going on. and it's been well-established that i think that companies owe interviewees (at the very least) a response. but the fact is it doesn't accomplish anything to ask and lots of times you'll just never hear back. it's best to let it go.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:12 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times
Because they might change their mind..

You might be their N-th choice but if the N-1 candidates before you all decline their offers, they'll go down the list to you if you're still expressing your interest.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:15 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Boy View Post

Happens to everyone, just think about what you can do differently on the next phone interview and move on

Old 08-13-2013, 12:35 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
Did you take the time to send an email/letter thanking them for the opportunity to interview? I agree with someone that said you might not have been first choice. I know sometimes, they wait to see how the one chosen is going to work out and sometimes, especially during summer vacations/holidays, delays do occur.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:41 PM

25 posts, read 72,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Did you take the time to send an email/letter thanking them for the opportunity to interview? I agree with someone that said you might not have been first choice. I know sometimes, they wait to see how the one chosen is going to work out and sometimes, especially during summer vacations/holidays, delays do occur.
I sent the hiring manager that I interviewed with a follow-up/thank you email within 24 hours. I just said that it was a pleasure speaking with her. I added a couple of additional lines about why I'm qualified and said I was looking forward to hearing back. I didn't specifically say "thank you for taking the time to interview me" because I don't think it makes any difference but I'm hoping that this message was implied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search